Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newspaper Posts Gun Owners' Names

1. -11
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Which house can I go to to find a gun to steal? I'll just wait for the home owner to leave. I'm sure not all of them lock their guns in the proper cabinets, so I'll just look for houses without kid toys in the yard. They're more likely to not lock up their guns.

I don't care what side of the debate you fall on, this was an incredibly stupid thing for this newspaper to do. Newspapers are a dying breed and this one managed to anger even more potential readers.
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Newspaper Posts Gun Owners' Names

It was a stupid thing to publish.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilDylan View Post
    How do you know "a lot" of the gun owners have this bumper sticker? They could be a fraction of a percent of the actual gun owners in that area.

The gun owners should be allowed their privacy, not exposed, for abiding by the law and registering their guns in accordance with the law. All this newspaper has done is add fuel to an already out of control fire and possibly endangered people who are peaceful law-abiding gun owners. They shouldn't be treated like sex offenders.

This is the equivalent of posting the addresses and names of democrats in a majority republican area or vice versa.
    Perfectly stated.

Somehow i get the feeling if we publically posted the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of all the journalists and editors from that newspaper, they would object.
    "Ignorance is not an excuse" were the words Goodell used when describing why those involved in the Saints bounty scandal would not avoid punishment.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ons-unanswered
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FinaticalFinfan View Post
    Shall we list all the addresses of people who have a bumper sticker that says " my kid is an excellent student at "such and such" elementary school"? GET REAL!! Private law abiding citizens should be treated as such, with privacy. I don't own guns, but I think this is just another stupid attack on folks that just want to live a decent life and be left the hell alone while just abiding by the effing constitution. Folks that don't own guns, be happy with your choice (I am) and leave the nasty, God fearing, gun toting crazy people alone
    Actually not. There is such thing as the Freedom of Information act. Technically anybody could get the info but the newspaper just did the footwork and put it all together. Any Federal record should be accessible through that act.

I find it interesting though how people applying certain laws just fitting their purpose or agenda.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Perfectly stated.

Somehow i get the feeling if we publically posted the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of all the journalists and editors from that newspaper, they would object.
    Just to expand my thoughts on that. I really don't agree with the posting of the names of gun owners by the newspaper. But I do think that gun owners with their registration become part of the Freedom of Information Act. The problem between the FOIA and the privacy law is that they do contradict each other quite often. So people lay them out fitting their purposes.

I personally don't agree with posting anybody's name in public for stuff like that. The only way to prevent that though is: more government, unfortunately.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    Way to twist and manipulate the living **** out of that. And you talk about agenda????
    Goodness, 9954. You should know me by now a little bit. It was a sarcastic remark.

EDIT: Oopsy, my apologies. I just saw that I did not post an emoticon. You could not have known.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mike Wallace 112013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Perfectly stated.

All kidding aside (it looks as though some of you didnt sense I was just poking fun at rednecks) the newspaper was wrong on several levels to print that info.

1. Despite the fact someone could get that info through whatever ridiculous act, the newspaper shouldnt have put it all together for everyone and made it so easy. IMHO, someone who LEGALLY purchased a gun should have some right to privacy. Im sure most of them werent aware of whatever act it is that means someone could get that info, but posting it in the newspaper is over the top.

2. Theives were just given a map as to whos homes they can go into without the added fear of facing a gun. Granted, they would be assuming that someone dosent have a gun illegally in that particular home, someone just moved there, and of course they are putting their lives at risk breaking into someones home in the first place, its still a bit much for the newspaper to do this.

3. Even worse, theives and people who cant legally purchase a gun, were just given a map to where there are guns they can steal. Stealing guns is likely one of the top 2 ways people who cant purchase them legally wind up with them. Why show everyone where to steal one?
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    Just to expand my thoughts on that. I really don't agree with the posting of the names of gun owners by the newspaper. But I do think that gun owners with their registration become part of the Freedom of Information Act. The problem between the FOIA and the privacy law is that they do contradict each other quite often. So people lay them out fitting their purposes.

I personally don't agree with posting anybody's name in public for stuff like that. The only way to prevent that though is: more government, unfortunately.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Goodness, 9954. You should know me by now a little bit. It was a sarcastic remark.

EDIT: Oopsy, my apologies. I just saw that I did not post an emoticon. You could not have known.
    I find it funny that you were arguing against yourself regarding the legality of this.
    Its legal to publish that, but also exceedingly stupid and potentially dangerous.
    "As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand."
    Henry Wheeler Shaw
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spydertl79 View Post
    I find it funny that you were arguing against yourself regarding the legality of this.
    Its legal to publish that, but also exceedingly stupid and potentially dangerous.
    Where am I arguing against myself?
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    Where am I arguing against myself?
    No one's calling for government intervention.

That still doesn't change that they disagree/ are outraged with said newspaper's actions.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Did someone yell movie in a crowded firehouse?

Seriously....how stupid and desperate for attention was this editorial staff? Just because you CAN do something, doesnt mean you SHOULD do something.

But hey Hell, theyre just pushing their agenda. Not like anyone was hurt....YET!

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote