Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Jets leading receiver was former Dolphins, Edmund Gates. He had 3 receptions for

1. -21
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datruth55 View Post
    I think it says more about our fans that when one player has one decent game they come running to Finheaven.com and start complaining about why we let the guy go. Like Anthony Armstrong when he was with Washington, Devin Aromashodu when he had two decent games with Chicago two years ago, Chad Henne when he had one good game this year with the Jags...it seems knee jerk reactions are the norm here.
    I am not complaining just seeking others opinions. One of the issues on our offense this year and last year is having a deep threat on the field. Gates when he played in spot duty last year provided that. He played decent on special teams last year to as a KR. Lets face it WR has been our thinnest area all year. You can make the argument that the kid cannot catch the ball but he has caught a couple in NY this year. Soo in conclusion for example do you believe the kid is just to dumb to learn the play book run routes or what. Route running was what I heard the most when he was let go. Anyway when a player who was healthy when he was let go suddenly starts producing somewhere else the question should always be why. Ireland did not draft the kid for this coaching staff either which certainly could be part of the reason. Lack of top speed is definitly not the reason either.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Gates is less than Ginn Jr....should have just kept Ted and let him run post patterns on every play.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Gates wasn't going to make or break this offense. The fact that he caught 3 balls the other day is because they have nobody else to throw to and he was Sparano's guy. For 2 teams with similar records, they sure seem to be going in drastically different directions. If you want a subpar speedster because you feel he's marginally better than the poor options we have, that's fine. You may have an argument of him over some of our weaker receivers.

But I think there's a bigger picture - if they're willing to get rid of Marshall to create a team in their design, Gates is a non-issue to me. This year was clearly about Tannehill's development, changing the culture, and getting guys that fit their vision and attitude. I don't know if it was skill, brains, or attitude that they found wanting in Gates, but his release is a minor detail when you consider Marshall and Vontae's departures. Whether he'll ever make it in the NFL is up for debate, but he didn't do enough to fit into the big picture here.
    Insert witty thought-provoking saying here.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoRadioactiveCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by phintim View Post
    I am not complaining just seeking others opinions. One of the issues on our offense this year and last year is having a deep threat on the field. Gates when he played in spot duty last year provided that. He played decent on special teams last year to as a KR. Lets face it WR has been our thinnest area all year. You can make the argument that the kid cannot catch the ball but he has caught a couple in NY this year. Soo in conclusion for example do you believe the kid is just to dumb to learn the play book run routes or what. Route running was what I heard the most when he was let go. Anyway when a player who was healthy when he was let go suddenly starts producing somewhere else the question should always be why. Ireland did not draft the kid for this coaching staff either which certainly could be part of the reason. Lack of top speed is definitly not the reason either.
    He did? 2 receptions for 19 yards is what you call providing a deep threat last year. Well dang, we have a roster full of deep threats then cause every receiver we have is averaging more than 9.5 yards per catch.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Why did it have to be snakes?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Kerley is a good player, Hill has potential, and Santonio Holmes is a good player even if he is a grade A moron. Jets do have some talent at wide receiver, but fortunately they have none at QB.
    Oh no, we suck again!
    Quote Quote