Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NFL Franchise Tags and the Miami Dolphins

1. -11
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    the Jake Long situation really is a tough one. I really can't see the Dolphins paying him 15mil for one season... Are we allowed to franchise tag him then later remove the tag if nobody trades for him or if we can't get a long term deal done, thus voiding that 1yr 15mil?
    http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/rex-ryan-foot.jpg

currently the 19th ranked competitive eater in the world
    http://www.ifoce.com/rankings.php
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mnphinfan View Post
    Ireland was the GM and had input but Parcells definitely had the final say, hence his title "Director of Player Personel". Need I remind you that Parcells hired Ireland not the other way around. Also Ireland had to have that language written into his contract otherwise Dallas wouldn't have had to let him go because it would have been considered a lateral move according to NFL league rules.

I find it funny how in the past that you chastised Ireland and Parcells for picking Long and Henne as the one/two picks now you chastise him again for doing the exact opposite. I know you are the driver of the Tannyhill bandwagon but you can't have it both ways. Need I remind you that Martin will probably be our starting LT next year. And don't give me the he picked Pouncey with # 15 the year prior. He was arguably the highest rated player on the board at the time, filled a need, and his now arguably the best C in the game.

You also go ahead and make my point for me regarding the FA's. All of the signings done last year were low cost, stop gap signings. Ireland was not going to sign a bunch of long term FA's until Philbin and his staff had the ability to evaluate the entire roster. This allowed them to go into this offseason knowing exactly what they needed. They also now have the ammunition to go and get it. It's called planning for the future and most people on this board just don't get it.

I also think it's funny how people say that the only reason the players are playing better was becauses Philbin and his staff are better coaches than Sparano and his and that it has nothing to do with the talent the players had. That's total BS. The talent was always there. Sparano and his staff just couldn't develop/get the most out of it. We are now seeing that with Philbin and his staff.

post post I've read in awhile...

you win Finheaven today!
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Fixed that for ya. If you haven't seen a chance in philosophy since Parcells grabbed his cash and ran then I don't know what to tell you. Ireland has done things that totally go against Parcells philosphy and would have never been allowed if he was still in charge.

I just don't see how they will bring him back at over $12 million/year when they already have his replacement in the building who is performing at just as good or better a level. It doesn't fit the philosphy for what they are trying to do. Many people on this board don't want to give Ireland credit for the fixes he has made to mistakes made in prior years. Just look at the picks and cap space the Fins will have next year, as well as the trash that was taken out this past offseason. We were told by the FO and coaching staff that this was not a rebuilding year but if you look at the offseason moves it was definitely a remodeling. Every player that didn't fit Philben's philosophy is now gone. We now have the picks and cash to really make a huge jump in talent. The talent base is already there on this team. We just need a couple playmakers on each side of the ball to put us into serious playoff contention. People on this forum who complain about us not signing the like of players such as Manningham, Winston and Wayne are looking at the short sided aspect of signing FA's and not what it would have done for the team long term which is what this franchise is planning for.

Great post, bro! Couldn't said it any better, finally some intelligence. I've stressed how people need to stop complaining about how he didn't do this and that to upgrade the team, but for what? Short term? It's the big picture, lamer, Vernon, and Martin look like keeps for the next 4-5 years. We've been set up to make a niners jump in team improvement just by one or two good additions on both sides of the ball, literally!
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dade View Post
    Great post, bro! Couldn't said it any better, finally some intelligence. I've stressed how people need to stop complaining about how he didn't do this and that to upgrade the team, but for what? Short term? It's the big picture, lamer, Vernon, and Martin look like keeps for the next 4-5 years. We've been set up to make a niners jump in team improvement just by one or two good additions on both sides of the ball, literally!

and maybe a place kicker that can nail 30-50yrd game winners will be nice too.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    Ireland was the GM and had input but Parcells definitely had the final say, hence his title "Director of Player Personel". Need I remind you that Parcells hired Ireland not the other way around. Also Ireland had to have that language written into his contract otherwise Dallas wouldn't have had to let him go because it would have been considered a lateral move according to NFL league rules.

I find it funny how in the past that you chastised Ireland and Parcells for picking Long and Henne as the one/two picks now you chastise him again for doing the exact opposite. I know you are the driver of the Tannyhill bandwagon but you can't have it both ways. Need I remind you that Martin will probably be our starting LT next year. And don't give me the he picked Pouncey with # 15 the year prior. He was arguably the highest rated player on the board at the time, filled a need, and his now arguably the best C in the game.

You also go ahead and make my point for me regarding the FA's. All of the signings done last year were low cost, stop gap signings. Ireland was not going to sign a bunch of long term FA's until Philbin and his staff had the ability to evaluate the entire roster. This allowed them to go into this offseason knowing exactly what they needed. They also now have the ammunition to go and get it. It's called planning for the future and most people on this board just don't get it.

I also think it's funny how people say that the only reason the players are playing better was becauses Philbin and his staff are better coaches than Sparano and his and that it has nothing to do with the talent the players had. That's total BS. The talent was always there. Sparano and his staff just couldn't develop/get the most out of it. We are now seeing that with Philbin and his staff.
    Those weren't stop gap free agents those were all we could afford because we had little cap room left because dead beat signings like Grove, Wilson, Wilfork, etc you know the list so no need to write them all down. Everyone of them were signed to be starters and contribute and not one of them really contributed at all! Busting on Grove is what created the need at center after we paid him 15 mil to go away. Great we got Pouncey I don't see that as big value at the 15th pick.

Yeah I blast Ireland/Parcells for drafting Long/Henne and well history proves me right. The very fact that it is even up for debate do the Dolphins resign the former number 1 overall pick when his rookie contract expires is ridiculous?!?!

If you guys continue to credit Ireland with players like Wake, and Dansby that were signed while Parcells was fleecing this team then Ireland takes blame for the failures. The hilarity is the list that can be claimed as a success is dwindling down to nothing.

How can you even say talent? This team is is at a serious lack for talent and depth and that falls square on Ireland's shoulders. Look at the Money and draft picks spent on the offensive line and yet they are average at best. The problem is for every success Ireland has had there is literally 3 failures.

I hope CK finds this thread because the info he had explaining Ireland the decisions that were made, who was behind them and the power structure was brilliant. To simply say anything bad was all Parcells fault is just not fair and like you said I am the first to slam him. Yeah I drive the Tannehill bandwagon and am pleased with his development so far, but lets not forget why he was drafted and why the SAME GM is rebuilding again and I use the term rebuilding loosely because we were never built.

All the excuses aside if Ireland has the same level of success with all those high picks and 60 mil in cap space this team is sunk for 5 years! You might have faith in him, but I do not!
    The above post is not subject to penalty under the TOS I declare the Hayden Fox defense. " It is impossible for the staff to know my context therefore I cannot be penalized"

Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flynryan15 View Post
    Those weren't stop gap free agents those were all we could afford because we had little cap room left because dead beat signings like Grove, Wilson, Wilfork, etc you know the list so no need to write them all down. Everyone of them were signed to be starters and contribute and not one of them really contributed at all! Busting on Grove is what created the need at center after we paid him 15 mil to go away. Great we got Pouncey I don't see that as big value at the 15th pick.
    Sure we didn't have a whole lot of money to play with last year, but those are the breaks. Keep in mind everybody you mentioned above was when BP was in the driver seat... Who's to say if we had more money to spend we wouldn't have done the same? it's all your own speculation...

while we are at it, lets look at a couple players Ireland (while in full control) balked at... Kyle Orton, where is he now? Matt Flynne and Erik Winston were offered what we thought they were worth, looks like Ireland/Philben ended up being right there huh?

Yeah I blast Ireland/Parcells for drafting Long/Henne and well history proves me right. The very fact that it is even up for debate do the Dolphins resign the former number 1 overall pick when his rookie contract expires is ridiculous?!?!
    PLEASE! We drafted Long in a year where there was no clear cut #1 over all pick... How many times have there been clear cut #1 picks end up busting in the NFL? A LOT! Jake Long now in higndsight may not have been better that Mat Ryan, how many Left Tackles make it to the pro-bowl the first 4 years of their career... The only reason we are debating resigning him is because of the salary cap number he'll demand vs his injury history... if Jake Long is 100% there isn't even a question about signing him... You can't fault Ireland/Tuna for injuries.

The problem is for every success Ireland has had there is literally 3 failures.
    isn't this about the average for most NFL GM's? you can't hit on every FA and draft pick. you just can't

Yeah I drive the Tannehill bandwagon and am pleased with his development so far, but lets not forget why he was drafted
    Because we took Long over Ryan? Because we didn't over pay for Orton and Flynne?

All the excuses aside if Ireland has the same level of success with all those high picks and 60 mil in cap space this team is sunk for 5 years! You might have faith in him, but I do not!
    you know the saying "you're only as good as your last ....." Well Ireland and Philbin had a pretty darn good last draft, let's give this duo 3 years of doing things THEIR OWN WAY, before we start calling for their heads.

if we do let Ireland go, please tell me who you would rather have... seriously!
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    In Dawn We Trust!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Connecticut
    Thanks / No Thanks
    As far as Jake Long goes, I'm just going to trust the Dolphins front office. I definitely think that injuries have played a roll in his decline, however, the question I have is, are they injuries that he can come back from? If he can recover and return to 100 percent and the player that he was, I want him back, no matter the price. If they're not, and he'll always be hampered by them, then he's expendable IMO. Only the front office and the doctors know the answer to that.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Fixed that for ya. If you haven't seen a chance in philosophy since Parcells grabbed his cash and ran then I don't know what to tell you. Ireland has done things that totally go against Parcells philosphy and would have never been allowed if he was still in charge.

I just don't see how they will bring him back at over $12 million/year when they already have his replacement in the building who is performing at just as good or better a level. It doesn't fit the philosphy for what they are trying to do. Many people on this board don't want to give Ireland credit for the fixes he has made to mistakes made in prior years. Just look at the picks and cap space the Fins will have next year, as well as the trash that was taken out this past offseason. We were told by the FO and coaching staff that this was not a rebuilding year but if you look at the offseason moves it was definitely a remodeling. Every player that didn't fit Philben's philosophy is now gone. We now have the picks and cash to really make a huge jump in talent. The talent base is already there on this team. We just need a couple playmakers on each side of the ball to put us into serious playoff contention. People on this forum who complain about us not signing the like of players such as Manningham, Winston and Wayne are looking at the short sided aspect of signing FA's and not what it would have done for the team long term which is what this franchise is planning for.

How would signing any of the 4 players u mention work against what this team is planning for long term. These are guys that were signed to similar money as Richard Marshall and in Manniham's case more similar to Hicks. Please explain the logic of how having three actual nfl receivers is a hindrance long term over trotting out the likes of Nanee, Armstrong and Marlon moore. Or signing David Garrard was a much wiser move .
    All of the guys I mentioned were all signed to relatively short term contracts that would have affected us financially no worse than the budget signings we made. I mean u do realize our offense still overall within the NFL is not very good so how would signing Wayne or Manningham to make it better been a detriment to the so called long term plan. Trotting out the receivers we did this year was shortsighted at the detriment of our offense no matter what excuse u made for it. I really want to hear how bringing in Richard Marshall over an experienced receiver that is playing at a pro bowl level was a better direction for the franchise. For three years 17.5 million you could have a receiver with great hands , that has been a great teammate at Indy , never in trouble and makes your qb's job easier or go in some mythical better direction and sign a cb that throughtout his career as a starter has been below average but can play safety good although u never have any plans for him to be safety
    When Death Smiles Upon You the Infantryman smiles back
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Omen View Post
    Sure we didn't have a whole lot of money to play with last year, but those are the breaks. Keep in mind everybody you mentioned above was when BP was in the driver seat... Who's to say if we had more money to spend we wouldn't have done the same? it's all your own speculation...

while we are at it, lets look at a couple players Ireland (while in full control) balked at... Kyle Orton, where is he now? Matt Flynne and Erik Winston were offered what we thought they were worth, looks like Ireland/Philben ended up being right there huh?

PLEASE! We drafted Long in a year where there was no clear cut #1 over all pick... How many times have there been clear cut #1 picks end up busting in the NFL? A LOT! Jake Long now in higndsight may not have been better that Mat Ryan, how many Left Tackles make it to the pro-bowl the first 4 years of their career... The only reason we are debating resigning him is because of the salary cap number he'll demand vs his injury history... if Jake Long is 100% there isn't even a question about signing him... You can't fault Ireland/Tuna for injuries.

isn't this about the average for most NFL GM's? you can't hit on every FA and draft pick. you just can't

Because we took Long over Ryan? Because we didn't over pay for Orton and Flynne?

you know the saying "you're only as good as your last ....." Well Ireland and Philbin had a pretty darn good last draft, let's give this duo 3 years of doing things THEIR OWN WAY, before we start calling for their heads.

if we do let Ireland go, please tell me who you would rather have... seriously!
    well to the long point if u draft a guy number one overall and when its time to resign him, u dont feel he is worth near franchise money than the pick was a failure point blank.'
    This now ends the arguement who was the better pick Long or Ryan. Ryan is the player a team is building it self around and Long is a player we are deciding if he is worth keeping
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    well to the long point if u draft a guy number one overall and when its time to resign him, u dont feel he is worth near franchise money than the pick was a failure point blank.'
    HAHAHHA! so Long is a failed pick because of injury!?!? that's a hoot and a holler. don't ever have kids... I can just imagine you screaming "Failure" as he sits on the football field with a broken ankle. Ryan, as it sits now 12/28/12 is the better choice, only because he has the supporting cast around him to succeed along with the fortune of not having any injuries to hamper his performance... Flip the switch, if Ryan was the one with the nagging injurries and Long is 100% injury free playing at his normal top 1-3 Left Tackle in the league, are we still having this discussion? one more thing, Ryan 100% has yet to do squate in the playoffs...
    Quote Quote