Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Jets Signing Sanchez Made Little Sense to NFL Statisticians

1. -1
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks

Bullseye Jets Signing Sanchez Made Little Sense to NFL Statisticians

excerpts:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...isticians.html

he 6-9 team will end its season on Dec. 30 at the Buffalo Bills.
    Sanchez, who was given a new salary-cap draining contract in March that guaranteed him a combined $20.5 million in 2012 and 2013, quarterbacked the Jets to the American Football Conference’s championship game his first two seasons. Statistics show that the 26-year-old perhaps didn’t deserve the extension or a place in the team’s starting lineup even with the winning records.
    “To give Sanchez an extension in the offseason was monumentally ridiculous,” said Aaron Schatz, editor-in-chief of FootballOutsiders.com, which uses advanced statistics to analyze player values. “His performance is the equivalent of your average backup quarterback.”
    Sanchez had 13 touchdown passes and 17 interceptions while completing 54.8 percent of his passes before being benched following five turnovers in a Dec. 17 loss to Tennessee that ended the Jets’ playoff hopes. He’s had 50 turnovers the last two seasons.
    Statistical Start
    Sanchez threw for 12 touchdowns and 20 interceptions as a rookie in 2009, then seemed to improve the following year, tossing 17 scoring passes while being picked off 13 times. Another 15 of his passes in 2010 should have been interceptions but were dropped by defenders, according to FootballOutsiders.com.

“That’s the most dropped interceptions we’ve tracked from any quarterback in the four years we’ve been doing this,” Schatz said in a telephone interview.
    The website uses a ranking called DYAR, which stands for Defense-Adjusted Yards Above Replacement. The metric measures how a player’s performance compares to generic “replacement- level” players in the same situation. Out of 39 quarterbacks who have thrown 100 passes this season, Sanchez ranks last. He also ranks 34th in rushing out of 34 quarterbacks who’ve attempted at least seven runs.

Rookie Preferred
    “There’s no reason why you would want Mark Sanchez right now instead of a rookie you could get in the second or third round,” Schatz said.

"Yep. Blow it up. This might the worst team I've ever seen constructed in my life.
    And then you throw in the terrible preparation and in-game coaching. There is no defense.
    But do it right. Fire everyone in the building. No survivors. , JiF Jetnation

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    I trust my eyes and only speak the truth. Sanchez will be fine.

Quote Quote  

3. -3

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinzN703 View Post
    I trust my eyes and only speak the truth. Sanchez will be fine.
    It's funny that in the "Sanchez sucks" mega TGG thread where he's one of the last and most truculent delusionals, lest any one think that when it comes to that QB, FH members were the ones judging things homeristically, yesterday someone accused him of playing the stats card only when those stats further his selectively parsed arguments.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    It's funny that in the "Sanchez sucks" mega TGG thread where he's one of the last and most truculent delusionals, lest any one think that when it comes to that QB, FH members were the ones judging things homeristically, yesterday someone accused him of playing the stats card only when those stats further his selectively parsed arguments.
    (I know, I know, color me "jealous" of their love)
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    TANNERECTION!!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks

Jets Signing Sanchez Made Little Sense to NFL Statisticians

Junc is one if the very few at TGG holding out hope for El Snatcho. Most "whiny fans and media" realize he can't play at Met Life ever again.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks

It Is What It Is

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog 88 View Post
    Junc is one if the very few at TGG holding out hope for El Snatcho. Most "whiny fans and media" realize he can't play at Met Life ever again.
    And now The Foot Sucker apparently is telling Woody "Father of the Year"/"hands off owner" Johnson to fire him if he's unwilling to upgrade the roster. What a ****ing accountability-deflecting assclown he is! Didn't he say at season's start that this was the best roster he's had so far? Wasn't he instrumental in over-reaching for Sanchez? Someone on one of their forums posted the reality that over the last 2 seasons, the jets are 1-9 vs winning teams (and that's only because they beat the Colts this year). Is it really such a loss to kick him to the curb?

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pimpin' ain't easy

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    outside the beltway
    Thanks / No Thanks
    And now The Foot Sucker apparently is telling Woody "Father of the Year"/"hands off owner" Johnson to fire him if he's unwilling to upgrade the roster. What a ****ing accountability-deflecting assclown he is! Didn't he say at season's start that this was the best roster he's had so far? Wasn't he instrumental in over-reaching for Sanchez? Someone on one of their forums posted the reality that over the last 2 seasons, the jets are 1-9 vs winning teams (and that's only because they beat the Colts this year). Is it really such a loss to kick him to the curb?

It is when you lose over $8M and have absolutely nothing to show for it. The sad fact is as stated by FootballOutsiders, the taco is an average backup. Tebow is gone and the ginger will be the starter. You need an average backup - Snatchez!
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Enter NYJunc in 5...4...3...2...1...

In my opinion and as a Dolphins fan that contract is more than validated. As a matter of fact it should have been more guaranteed money for a longer period of time assuring that Sanchez HAS to start for the next 10 years for the Jets. Sanchez is such a great QB for the rest of the AFC. We all must do everything to keep him with the Jets.

We should make NYJunc the GM of the Jets.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    TANNERECTION!!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks

A very bizarre report if true; however, the reporter is known for coming up withsomeoff the wall stuff. I have a hard time believing Ryan is stupid enough to call for Woody to invest in the offense when Rex shares culpability for the mess.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jets fans always cracked me up acting like the dropped picks is a "made up stat". Then last year and this year happened and they wondered what was going on. In reality it was regression to the mean, and the luck of those passes being dropped evened out.

The guy has always been a terrible to mediocre QB, with a slight venture into above average during the 2010 season. But he has never shown that he can consistently read a D or be accurate. People want to talk about how his poor completion % is due to him not throwing a lot of screens and dumpoffs, but that is because it might be his worst pass. How many times have we seen him throw a screen and he threw it behind or too high the receiver and thus they get tackled immediately. Even on slant type passes he hits them on their trailing hip leaving them no ability to run after the catch.

I will never understand why a fan would get so attached to a player, when it was clear they were a detriment to the team. They make fun of Tebow groupies, yet their infatuation with Sanchez is just as bad, if not worse.
    Follow me on Twitter... @Scoffaveli
    Quote Quote