Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tannehill & the Pump Fake

1. -1
    It's Only Happened ONCE!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks

Player Tannehill & the Pump Fake

Just noticing a perceived difference between Tannehill & some of the elite QB's in the NFL is that most of them, (e.g. Marino, Brady, Brees, Manning, Romo, Roethlisber, etc.) pump fake often and Tannehill doesn't seem to pump fake AT ALL (at least I can't recall ever seeing him do it, maybe he does.)

The point is, that even as a high school QB you are usually taught to either get the ball out quick to your first read if he's open or pump fake to him if he's covered then move to your second read. This usually give that split second hesitation to create a bigger throwing lane/window to hit the 2nd or 3rd WR & is designed to move the safety in the wrong direction. That can make all the difference.

As stated, I don't recall Tannehill pump faking much if at all. Can't tell if it's because he's a bit scared or never been taught to do it. Most of the elite QB's are so comfortable in what they are doing, that is seems they have the extra time to pump fake.

Also, it might cut down on the number of batted balls as well as buy him extra time if D-Linemen are jumping, they aren't rushing.

Keep me honest here. Is this a teachable skill or do some QB's "Got It" & some don't?
    You Play to Win the Game!
    In It to Win It!

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Romania
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mentioning romo and elite qb in the same sentence should be illegal.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Generally a young quarterback needs all the time possible to look towards his other reads, pump faking can make this harder to do and focus. Just my honest opinion, pump fakes can be a learned skill that he can perfect more when he gets more comfortable with his reads and the offence.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    The Oracle

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It is a learned skill but also most be part of the offense. Pump faking just to pump fake does nothing, it has to work inside of a play. Hand size is also HUGE in pump faking. Big Ben can pump fake a basketball. If you have smaller hands then I'd never, ever ask a QB to do it.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Pump faking is generally affective on double moves, which we don't seem to run very often since our receivers have no speed to take the top off the defense
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bay Area, Ca
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I counted two or 3 pseudo shoulder/pump fakes this season and I have watched 98% of the snaps he's taken.

I think it can be taught but I concur; he needs to add it to his repertoire.

The only upper echelon QB that I know that rarely pump fakes is Matt Stafford.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Big Ben likes to pump fake before he pump fakes.
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect72 View Post
    Just noticing a perceived difference between Tannehill & some of the elite QB's in the NFL is that most of them, (e.g. Marino, Brady, Brees, Manning, Romo, Roethlisber, etc.) pump fake often and Tannehill doesn't seem to pump fake AT ALL (at least I can't recall ever seeing him do it, maybe he does.)

The point is, that even as a high school QB you are usually taught to either get the ball out quick to your first read if he's open or pump fake to him if he's covered then move to your second read. This usually give that split second hesitation to create a bigger throwing lane/window to hit the 2nd or 3rd WR & is designed to move the safety in the wrong direction. That can make all the difference.

As stated, I don't recall Tannehill pump faking much if at all. Can't tell if it's because he's a bit scared or never been taught to do it. Most of the elite QB's are so comfortable in what they are doing, that is seems they have the extra time to pump fake.

Also, it might cut down on the number of batted balls as well as buy him extra time if D-Linemen are jumping, they aren't rushing.

Keep me honest here. Is this a teachable skill or do some QB's "Got It" & some don't?
    No one pump fakes more than Sanchez......... If the coaches wanted him to pump fake more its sort of an easy thing accomplish.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    marshville, nc
    Thanks / No Thanks
    yeah ive noticed he does the shoulder pump more now that the season is later, but not really a true pump fake
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LandShark13 View Post
    No one pump fakes more than Sanchez......... If the coaches wanted him to pump fake more its sort of an easy thing accomplish.
    Since meatball has been there, they've started callin them "fist" pump fakes.
    Prov 3:6
    : in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
    Quote Quote