Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Tannehill & the Pump Fake

Hybrid View

  1. -1
    Perfect72's Avatar
    It's Only Happened ONCE!

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    450
    vCash:
    2982
    Loc:
    Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Player Tannehill & the Pump Fake

    Just noticing a perceived difference between Tannehill & some of the elite QB's in the NFL is that most of them, (e.g. Marino, Brady, Brees, Manning, Romo, Roethlisber, etc.) pump fake often and Tannehill doesn't seem to pump fake AT ALL (at least I can't recall ever seeing him do it, maybe he does.)

    The point is, that even as a high school QB you are usually taught to either get the ball out quick to your first read if he's open or pump fake to him if he's covered then move to your second read. This usually give that split second hesitation to create a bigger throwing lane/window to hit the 2nd or 3rd WR & is designed to move the safety in the wrong direction. That can make all the difference.

    As stated, I don't recall Tannehill pump faking much if at all. Can't tell if it's because he's a bit scared or never been taught to do it. Most of the elite QB's are so comfortable in what they are doing, that is seems they have the extra time to pump fake.

    Also, it might cut down on the number of batted balls as well as buy him extra time if D-Linemen are jumping, they aren't rushing.

    Keep me honest here. Is this a teachable skill or do some QB's "Got It" & some don't?
    You Play to Win the Game!
    In It to Win It!


    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    peace4all's Avatar
    Scout Team

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2010
    Posts:
    92
    vCash:
    1139
    Loc:
    Romania
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mentioning romo and elite qb in the same sentence should be illegal.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2009
    Posts:
    381
    vCash:
    1039
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Generally a young quarterback needs all the time possible to look towards his other reads, pump faking can make this harder to do and focus. Just my honest opinion, pump fakes can be a learned skill that he can perfect more when he gets more comfortable with his reads and the offence.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    LikeUntoGod's Avatar
    The Oracle

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2006
    Posts:
    3,349
    vCash:
    1189
    Loc:
    Gainesville Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It is a learned skill but also most be part of the offense. Pump faking just to pump fake does nothing, it has to work inside of a play. Hand size is also HUGE in pump faking. Big Ben can pump fake a basketball. If you have smaller hands then I'd never, ever ask a QB to do it.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2010
    Posts:
    1,678
    vCash:
    3333
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Pump faking is generally affective on double moves, which we don't seem to run very often since our receivers have no speed to take the top off the defense
    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    Lets get those balls deep!!

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    1,961
    vCash:
    3284
    Loc:
    the world
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhankey81701 View Post
    Pump faking is generally affective on double moves, which we don't seem to run very often since our receivers have no speed to take the top off the defense
    my thought exactly, you use pump fakes if you have guys that can burn safeties, and an o-line that can handle that long of a play.
    "hey atleast I'm housebroken!"
    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2003
    Posts:
    2,044
    vCash:
    2027
    Loc:
    Bay Area, Ca
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I counted two or 3 pseudo shoulder/pump fakes this season and I have watched 98% of the snaps he's taken.

    I think it can be taught but I concur; he needs to add it to his repertoire.

    The only upper echelon QB that I know that rarely pump fakes is Matt Stafford.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    Wildbill3's Avatar
    Misery Loves Company

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2001
    Posts:
    24,719
    vCash:
    1484
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Cam Wake 91Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Big Ben likes to pump fake before he pump fakes.

    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    LandShark13's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2009
    Posts:
    1,536
    vCash:
    388
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect72 View Post
    Just noticing a perceived difference between Tannehill & some of the elite QB's in the NFL is that most of them, (e.g. Marino, Brady, Brees, Manning, Romo, Roethlisber, etc.) pump fake often and Tannehill doesn't seem to pump fake AT ALL (at least I can't recall ever seeing him do it, maybe he does.)

    The point is, that even as a high school QB you are usually taught to either get the ball out quick to your first read if he's open or pump fake to him if he's covered then move to your second read. This usually give that split second hesitation to create a bigger throwing lane/window to hit the 2nd or 3rd WR & is designed to move the safety in the wrong direction. That can make all the difference.

    As stated, I don't recall Tannehill pump faking much if at all. Can't tell if it's because he's a bit scared or never been taught to do it. Most of the elite QB's are so comfortable in what they are doing, that is seems they have the extra time to pump fake.

    Also, it might cut down on the number of batted balls as well as buy him extra time if D-Linemen are jumping, they aren't rushing.

    Keep me honest here. Is this a teachable skill or do some QB's "Got It" & some don't?
    No one pump fakes more than buttfumble......... If the coaches wanted him to pump fake more its sort of an easy thing accomplish.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    Fintastic2124's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2010
    Posts:
    1,291
    vCash:
    1808
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LandShark13 View Post
    No one pump fakes more than buttfumble......... If the coaches wanted him to pump fake more its sort of an easy thing accomplish.
    Since meatball has been there, they've started callin them "fist" pump fakes.
    “Pro football is like nuclear warfare. There are no winners, only survivors.”
    --Frank Gifford
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Fake Ryan Tannehill Twitter Page
    By finomenal in forum The Depths of the Sea
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-29-2013, 02:39 PM
  2. Use the damn pump fake!
    By Gonk in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-05-2010, 04:53 PM
  3. Come on Henne pump fake!!
    By skunkbud123 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-19-2010, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-26-2010, 12:29 PM
  5. Why does Gus pump fake before he throws
    By Brad528 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-17-2005, 11:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •