Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We need to build through the draft and not go after these big name free agents

1. -1
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

GM We need to build through the draft and not go after these big name free agents

In my opinion the best way to make a contending team is through the draft and we are in a perfect position to do that with all the picks we have. I think under Philbin we will draft a lot better than previous years. We need to be more aggressive and stop playing it safe draft more skilled players with priority being WR, CB, TE. We need to bring back Bush because he is the only home run hitter on the team and use him more as a WR because nobody can match up with him one on one in the open field, we need a #1 WR and TE that can stretch the field and open it up for everyone else. Hopefully we can bring back Jack Long at a reasonable price because even though he is not that elite tackle anymore he is still better than most and I feel that he is young enough to get back to being a very good player. I also don't believe Martin is the answer at LT. Defensively we need to resign Clemons and draft multiple CB and a DE opposite wake. Trade Daniel Thomas and get a true bruising back. I think you go after a big name players in free agency when your team is already a contender. If you look at recent super bowl champions teams they are all built through the draft, with the exception to the Saints signing Brees.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Repin the MIA in AZ!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We have to spend a percentage of cap due to new cba.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Okay, but doesn't mean we have to go after these big names we have been rumored to.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yep, OP. Big names are not the answer in FA - you always overpay. We need to get a few mid-level FAs at need positions: T Barry Richardson (or Winston, Cherilus), Keenan Lewis, Domenik Hixon, DE/OLB Victor Butler or Quentin Groves, CB Tony Carter, Mike Goodson/Rashad Jennings, nickelback DJ Moore. Get a few of these guys to add depth at need positions to give yourself freedom come draft day. You cannot enter the draft with lots of huge holes - that'll make you pick for need when you should be picking bpa (talent and value).
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Thankfully, with the draft picks and money, Miami is in a position to do both.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Ground and Pound

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmanzano View Post
    In my opinion the best way to make a contending team is through the draft and we are in a perfect position to do that with all the picks we have. I think under Philbin we will draft a lot better than previous years. We need to be more aggressive and stop playing it safe draft more skilled players with priority being WR, CB, TE. We need to bring back Bush because he is the only home run hitter on the team and use him more as a WR because nobody can match up with him one on one in the open field, we need a #1 WR and TE that can stretch the field and open it up for everyone else. Hopefully we can bring back Jack Long at a reasonable price because even though he is not that elite tackle anymore he is still better than most and I feel that he is young enough to get back to being a very good player. I also don't believe Martin is the answer at LT. Defensively we need to resign Clemons and draft multiple CB and a DE opposite wake. Trade Daniel Thomas and get a true bruising back. I think you go after a big name players in free agency when your team is already a contender. If you look at recent super bowl champions teams they are all built through the draft, with the exception to the Saints signing Brees.
    Don't compare us to the recent superbowl champs because that's like comparing Garbage to Success. We don't have a good history of drafting in case you didn't know so we shouldn't rely on it and bush is absolutely gone so stop holding out hopes and please don't tell me you expect the bold of a rookie? There aren't any AJ/Calvin Johnsons in this draft to carry such a load.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Personally, I think we need to do what no other team in the entire league does: build through free agency! I say we trade all our picks for players and go big in FA.

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm not comparing us to those teams, I'm just saying championship teams are built through the draft. There is always talent in the draft from rounds 1-7, hopefully Philbin and his coaches can evaluate and discover some of these players. I agree with the mid-level free agents I would add Delaine Walker to that list. On the case of Reggie Bush losing him is a big mistake he's our only player that can break it at any moment for a big play.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Atila - the freshmaker.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hopefully we can bring back Jack Long

www.DiamondandDesign.com
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    I'm not comparing us to those teams, I'm just saying championship teams are built through the draft. There is always talent in the draft from rounds 1-7, hopefully Philbin and his coaches can evaluate and discover some of these players. I agree with the mid-level free agents I would add Delaine Walker to that list. On the case of Reggie Bush losing him is a big mistake he's our only player that can break it at any moment for a big play.
    Which is sad, because he so very rarely does it. That's not a case for bringing him back, that's a case for bringing in more playmakers that can do it with far more regularity.
    Quote Quote