Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

View Poll Results: Do you trust Ireland with the 2013 season?

Voters
212. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

70 33.02%
  • No

142 66.98%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Do you trust Ireland with our 2013 season?

1. -11
    Practice Squad Punter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Da Ville
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Going back thru 2008 I think its fair for someone to question Ireland's drafting, although at worst I would say its above average, since most if not all 1st round picks were good picks. I think you can make a legitimate argument he's 5 for 5 in the first round, but at worst he's 4 for 5, which would be better than most NFL teams I would bet. I no success is not completely measured in the first round, but its an important indicator.

The real question with cap space is free agency. Looking bad to 2008 I can't see any major mistakes. Yeah we missed on acquiring some players, but we didn't really make any huge mistakes. You have to take chances and he will do that. I trust that he will not blow the money, because he has had no history of doing that. Now if he's too conservative and does not address some needs, he would probably leave plenty of cap room for a new GM in 2014. Ireland one way or another will either put us in a better spot. He will either spend wisely or leave a ton of cap space for someone else to.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    On the fence, he's hit on some and missed on a few more. One thing for sure is that if he screws this up he is gone and we are probably set back about 5 years. This offseason is probably about as big as I can remember
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by srdnaty View Post
    What big name free agents have we signed that were bad decisions?

I've attached a pdf with just a quick glance at the 2012 opening day roster and if it was a good or bad call.
    Clemmons should be bad and Tony McDaniel is good. I think we need to keep him for depth.

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

We picked Vernon Carey 2 picks ahead of Gronk. How long has he been trying to get us a TE. Fasano is afraid to get hit and drops alot.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    DEPRESSED BY REALITY

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CT
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    "LOL" wasn't an option so I didn't vote.

Post of the month.

Nothing Ireland has done should give anyone confidence that he finally figures it out after 5 years of failure. A few good choices doesn't outweigh the train wreck of other choices that have been made in his tenure.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't see any upside in keeping him, even if you hire a new guy that's just as bad at least some percentage of the fans will be happy
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Going back thru 2008 I think its fair for someone to question Ireland's drafting, although at worst I would say its above average, since most if not all 1st round picks were good picks. I think you can make a legitimate argument he's 5 for 5 in the first round, but at worst he's 4 for 5, which would be better than most NFL teams I would bet. I no success is not completely measured in the first round, but its an important indicator.

The real question with cap space is free agency. Looking bad to 2008 I can't see any major mistakes. Yeah we missed on acquiring some players, but we didn't really make any huge mistakes. You have to take chances and he will do that. I trust that he will not blow the money, because he has had no history of doing that. Now if he's too conservative and does not address some needs, he would probably leave plenty of cap room for a new GM in 2014. Ireland one way or another will either put us in a better spot. He will either spend wisely or leave a ton of cap space for someone else to.
    So Justin Smiley 5 years 25 million, Jake Grove 30 something miillion , gibril Wilson another 30 something million. wilford 13 million 3 rec 25 million. Reggie Torbor. Vernon Carey 6 years 42 million. Traded 2 seconds and a 50 million dollar contract to Brandon Marshall for a 2 year rental. Dansby 5 years 43 million( I like Dansby as a player but he is overpaid) Most of these were when the dolphins had alot of salary cap space, the last two years have been limited because some of these players only made it a couple of years into contract. He blew his was early in his time here as gm and used up alot of cap space on guys that did not pan out.

As for number one picks , I would say he hasnt totally missed as of yet on his first pick but juries still out on Odrick, Tannehill and Davis(although u trade a pick two years later and thats a failure to some degree unless u get great value) But lets look back.

2008 Chose Jake Long number one overall. Now 5 years later questions whether he is worth resigning and if he leaves will leave the cupboard bare from the 2008 draft. 5 years later and not one player remaining, huge misses on Henne, Merling and Murphy.

2009 Vernon Davis with Clay Matthews, Eric Wood, Hakeem Nicks, James Laurentis and Rey Malueaga still on board not to mention when he drafted Pat white , Max Unger , Jarius Byrd, Conner Barwin and Leeshan Mccoy still on board.. 2 years later traded for a late second so not exactly a success.
    Pat White one of worst dolphin draft picks of all time, Sean Smith solid player, Patrick turner horrible pick, Hartline great pick and joh Nalbone ugh. Clemons was a solid late pick the rest garbage but what u expect in 7th round.

2010 Traded 2 seconds for marshall. Traded down from 12 with pro bowlers Jean pierre paul, Mike Lupati, Maurice pouncey , Earl thomas and jermaine Gresham still on board. Dez Bryant was also there along with Demarious Thomas. Took Koa Misi second round solid player but Gronkowski pro bowl TE was there. john Jerry 3rd round has been up and down, local product Jimmy Graham was there as well as Aaron Hernadez. The took total bust AJ edds Geno Atkins two time probowler was very next pick %th round Nolan Carrol nothing special, reshard Jones great pick

2011 Mike Pouncey great pick questionable drafting a center that high, if we had did better in previous drafts have been some nice c prospects we passed on like Max Unger. Traded up for some reason to get Danial Thomas. Demarco Murray and Steven Ridley both still on board as well as Ryan Mallet( who knows what he will be). Took total bust Gates in 4th over Cecil shorts 55 rec 979 yards 7 tds. Not to mention we could have waited on Kendell Hunter. Denarious moore was still on board also as well as Jeremy Kerley. Took Clay next who knows he is invisible many games but has potential and thats all u can ask with a sixth rounder.

So overall no would not considere him an above average drafter.
    When Death Smiles Upon You the Infantryman smiles back
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hell-to-the-no I don't trust him, but I guess we don't have a choice
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Practice Squad Punter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Da Ville
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherif View Post
    Clemmons should be bad and Tony McDaniel is good. I think we need to keep him for depth.

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

We picked Vernon Carey 2 picks ahead of Gronk. How long has he been trying to get us a TE. Fasano is afraid to get hit and drops alot.
    Vernon Carey was in the league since '04. We picked Misi two picks ahead of Gronk. You can say that about any team. Everyone passed on Jimmy Graham for 2 rounds that year as well.

Clemons is not a bad depth player for a 5th round pick. I can agree McDaniel is a good player, but he's making a lot for a non starter.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Vernon Carey was in the league since '04. We picked Misi two picks ahead of Gronk. You can say that about any team. Everyone passed on Jimmy Graham for 2 rounds that year as well.

Clemons is not a bad depth player for a 5th round pick. I can agree McDaniel is a good player, but he's making a lot for a non starter.
    The point is we have had needs and neglected these positions in draft. we could have drafted many a good Te prospect but we drfated egnew, passed on other centers then drafted Pouncey way high.
    Same with rb and receiver.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jax.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    So Justin Smiley 5 years 25 million, Jake Grove 30 something miillion , gibril Wilson another 30 something million. wilford 13 million 3 rec 25 million. Reggie Torbor. Vernon Carey 6 years 42 million. Traded 2 seconds and a 50 million dollar contract to Brandon Marshall for a 2 year rental. Dansby 5 years 43 million( I like Dansby as a player but he is overpaid) Most of these were when the dolphins had alot of salary cap space, the last two years have been limited because some of these players only made it a couple of years into contract. He blew his was early in his time here as gm and used up alot of cap space on guys that did not pan out.

As for number one picks , I would say he hasnt totally missed as of yet on his first pick but juries still out on Odrick, Tannehill and Davis(although u trade a pick two years later and thats a failure to some degree unless u get great value) But lets look back.

2008 Chose Jake Long number one overall. Now 5 years later questions whether he is worth resigning and if he leaves will leave the cupboard bare from the 2008 draft. 5 years later and not one player remaining, huge misses on Henne, Merling and Murphy.

2009 Vernon Davis with Clay Matthews, Eric Wood, Hakeem Nicks, James Laurentis and Rey Malueaga still on board not to mention when he drafted Pat white , Max Unger , Jarius Byrd, Conner Barwin and Leeshan Mccoy still on board.. 2 years later traded for a late second so not exactly a success.
    Pat White one of worst dolphin draft picks of all time, Sean Smith solid player, Patrick turner horrible pick, Hartline great pick and joh Nalbone ugh. Clemons was a solid late pick the rest garbage but what u expect in 7th round.

2010 Traded 2 seconds for marshall. Traded down from 12 with pro bowlers Jean pierre paul, Mike Lupati, Maurice pouncey , Earl thomas and jermaine Gresham still on board. Dez Bryant was also there along with Demarious Thomas. Took Koa Misi second round solid player but Gronkowski pro bowl TE was there. john Jerry 3rd round has been up and down, local product Jimmy Graham was there as well as Aaron Hernadez. The took total bust AJ edds Geno Atkins two time probowler was very next pick %th round Nolan Carrol nothing special, reshard Jones great pick

2011 Mike Pouncey great pick questionable drafting a center that high, if we had did better in previous drafts have been some nice c prospects we passed on like Max Unger. Traded up for some reason to get Danial Thomas. Demarco Murray and Steven Ridley both still on board as well as Ryan Mallet( who knows what he will be). Took total bust Gates in 4th over Cecil shorts 55 rec 979 yards 7 tds. Not to mention we could have waited on Kendell Hunter. Denarious moore was still on board also as well as Jeremy Kerley. Took Clay next who knows he is invisible many games but has potential and thats all u can ask with a sixth rounder.

So overall no would not considere him an above average drafter.
    Just when I was formulating a response similar to this, you post it. Nailed it.

"I'm the man, I'm the man, I'm the maaaan.."
    Quote Quote