Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Obama/Republicans reach deal on new budget before Fiscal Cliff

1. -1
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks

Obama/Republicans reach deal on new budget before Fiscal Cliff

President Obama and Senate Republicans reached a sweeping deal late Monday that would let income taxes rise significantly for the first time in more than two decades, fulfilling Obama’s promise to raise taxes on the rich and averting the worst effects of the “fiscal cliff.”

Vice President Biden arrived at the Capitol just after 9 p.m. to explain the details of the pact he negotiated with Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.). A Senate vote on the package could be held by 10:30 p.m., beating a midnight deadline, Democratic aides said. The Republican-controlled House will begin considering the bill on Tuesday, with a final vote expected in the next day or two.
    https://socialreader.com/me/channels...ction_ref_map=[]

And on that happy note, the wife and I are going to go get rowdy and enjoy our New Years. Be safe out there tonight guys...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven's Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolinia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Can't spin this in either direction..

Good Job white house.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Wow didn't see that soap opera coming a mile a way. Kick the can down the road and act like everything is Kosher. The piper will collect eventually.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    https://socialreader.com/me/channels...ction_ref_map=[]

And on that happy note, the wife and I are going to go get rowdy and enjoy our New Years. Be safe out there tonight guys...
    Dont believe it, this information fails on the most basic premise:

Joe Biden is sober on New Years.

Lemme know when something serious is going on.........
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    this is not a deal. this is just delaying the inevitable. these ****s had 13 months to figure something out and this is what they come up with?

this solves nothing, as we will have the debt ceiling ( which we officially hit as of this morning) and we will have to deal with that come late feb or march, and that is a much bigger issue.

this deal has 620 in tax hikes and 15 billion in spending cuts. that's 41 dollars of tax revenue for every dollar of spending cuts. sorry guys, even if it is passed, this is not a solution, and i wouldn't be shocked if the house rejects it because its ****. even if the house does approve, we still got tons of unsolved issues.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    A hard-fought bipartisan compromise passed in the Senate early Tuesday to spare all but the richest Americans from painful income-tax hikes teetered on the edge of collapse as angry House Republicans denounced its lack of spending cuts.

While House Speaker John Boehner considered whether to bring the Senate-passed measure to the floor for a vote Tuesday, Majority Leader Eric Cantor told fellow Republicans in a closed-door meeting that he opposed the legislation negotiated by Vice President Joe Biden and Republican Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and passed by the Senate 89-8 shortly after 2 a.m.

Cantor told the group he could not back the bill in its current form, according to two officials in the room, which could leave open the possibility of an attempt to modify the package and send it back to the upper chamber. But Democrats there have signaled that changing the compromise risks killing it.

A report released by the Congressional Budget Office Tuesday complicated matters further still. The nonpartisan group "scored" the Biden-McConnell compromise as likely adding nearly $4 trillion to the federal deficit over 10 years, hardening opposition among many Republicans seeking further spending cuts.
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/s...-politics.html

Ah crap.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Eric Cantor. One hell of a guy.

Once this thing blows up and the Republicans generally are blamed for what the House Republicans are doing, Cantor's going to be getting some fresh bags of poop in the mail from the Senate Republican leadership.

A quote from a different Reuters story sums it up pretty well:

"Everyone knows once the markets open tomorrow our courage drops in direct proportion to the market fall," said one Republican lawmaker who spoke on condition of anonymity.
    http://news.yahoo.com/u-heading-off-...-business.html

If I'm Obama I'm pulling this deal off the table and going for even better terms every hour of the day tomorrow and the next day and however long it takes. I'm also prepping a nationally televised speech explaining this, holding up a picture of Cantor's face while the "fail horn" from the Price is Right plays over and over.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    How can anyone say this is a good bill???

Hundreds of millions in tax hikes and barely any cuts in spending. While adding trillions more to the debt. This bill not getting passed is actually a good thing. Fear is the only way the government passes laws. It reminds me of the bailout bill all over again. Scare the public into believing that the government is actually doing something good when it isn't.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    How can anyone say this is a good bill???

Hundreds of millions in tax hikes and barely any cuts in spending. While adding trillions more to the debt. This bill not getting passed is actually a good thing. Fear is the only way the government passes laws. It reminds me of the bailout bill all over again. Scare the public into believing that the government is actually doing something good when it isn't.
    exactly, why should the house pass this bill? this bill does not solve our real problems in the least bit, and should not be passed.

as usual, i expect the republicans to be blamed for not having this passed, although in the end they are just rejecting a terrible bill that somehow passed the senate.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovemyfins4eva View Post
    exactly, why should the house pass this bill? this bill does not solve our real problems in the least bit, and should not be passed.

as usual, i expect the republicans to be blamed for not having this passed, although in the end they are just rejecting a terrible bill that somehow passed the senate.
    Obama will play the blame game like he always does. This bill not passing is a great thing no matter where you stand politically. It's a horrible bill plain and simple.
    Quote Quote