Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44

Thread: Obama/Republicans reach deal on new budget before Fiscal Cliff

  1. -11
    jared81's Avatar
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    4,797
    vCash:
    1097
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Eric Cantor. One hell of a guy.

    Once this thing blows up and the Republicans generally are blamed for what the House Republicans are doing, Cantor's going to be getting some fresh bags of poop in the mail from the Senate Republican leadership.

    A quote from a different Reuters story sums it up pretty well:



    http://news.yahoo.com/u-heading-off-...-business.html

    If I'm Obama I'm pulling this deal off the table and going for even better terms every hour of the day tomorrow and the next day and however long it takes. I'm also prepping a nationally televised speech explaining this, holding up a picture of Cantor's face while the "fail horn" from the Price is Right plays over and over.
    so you think raising taxes (adding to the debt by 4 trillion), and not cutting spending, is a good solution? Obama himself, said raising taxes in this economy was a bad idea. I hate to see what your bank account looks like if you think this is a good fiscal policy.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -12
    jared81's Avatar
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    4,797
    vCash:
    1097
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    At the end of the day, the republicans still own the house and state governments. They may get blamed for it, but rest assured, when it comes time to raise the debt limit, they will get their way.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -13
    Spesh's Avatar
    #freespesh

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    8,252
    vCash:
    325
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Eric Cantor. One hell of a guy.

    Once this thing blows up and the Republicans generally are blamed for what the House Republicans are doing, Cantor's going to be getting some fresh bags of poop in the mail from the Senate Republican leadership.

    A quote from a different Reuters story sums it up pretty well:



    http://news.yahoo.com/u-heading-off-...-business.html

    If I'm Obama I'm pulling this deal off the table and going for even better terms every hour of the day tomorrow and the next day and however long it takes. I'm also prepping a nationally televised speech explaining this, holding up a picture of Cantor's face while the "fail horn" from the Price is Right plays over and over.
    Looks like the House finally realized they werent going to win this one and they would lose all their leverage tommorow. Reports are coming out that they are voting and expect it to pass.

    Good quote but i liked this gem that was announced:

    “They’re crazy, but they’re not that bat**** crazy,” Democratic Representative Alcee Hastings told reporters as the Republican plan came into focus.
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/s...-politics.html
    Quote Quote  

  4. -14
    Spesh's Avatar
    #freespesh

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    8,252
    vCash:
    325
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    At the end of the day, the republicans still own the house and state governments. They may get blamed for it, but rest assured, when it comes time to raise the debt limit, they will get their way.
    Ugh, yeah thats exactly what we need. Politicians more concerning with getting everything they want and vindictiveness than doing their jobs.

    The thought of the debt debate makes me cringe.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -15
    jared81's Avatar
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    4,797
    vCash:
    1097
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Ugh, yeah thats exactly what we need. Politicians more concerning with getting everything they want and vindictiveness than doing their jobs.

    The thought of the debt debate makes me cringe.
    how do you propose we address our debt issue? It's obvious Obama isn't smart/capable enough to deal with it himself. I would rather go into another recession for a year, than to kick the can down the road. I care about this country 10+ years from now, even if others don't.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -16
    TheWalrus's Avatar
    1/7/14

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2011
    Posts:
    9,170
    vCash:
    37480
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    so you think raising taxes (adding to the debt by 4 trillion), and not cutting spending, is a good solution? Obama himself, said raising taxes in this economy was a bad idea. I hate to see what your bank account looks like if you think this is a good fiscal policy.
    Raising taxes doesn't add to the debt. It lowers it. Maybe you're a supply sider but I'm not so I don't buy the argument, though I can't honestly say that's the argument you were making.

    Raising taxes in a bad economy is generally a bad idea, I agree. But if you're making more than $250,000 (or $450,000, as the Senate deal specified) then you're not personally in a bad economy. You're doing just fine.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -17
    jared81's Avatar
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    4,797
    vCash:
    1097
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Raising taxes doesn't add to the debt. It lowers it. Maybe you're a supply sider but I'm not so I don't buy the argument, though I can't honestly say that's the argument you were making.

    Raising taxes in a bad economy is generally a bad idea, I agree. But if you're making more than $250,000 (or $450,000, as the Senate deal specified) then you're not personally in a bad economy. You're doing just fine.
    this bill raises revenue, but doesn't cut spending. That's my main issue. Our problem is spending, not taxes being too low. In a few weeks, the revenue raised by this tax increase will be spent. Hopefully, when it comes time to raise thr debt limit, the republicans won't raise it at all, or they need to at least serverly cut spending.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -18
    Spesh's Avatar
    #freespesh

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    8,252
    vCash:
    325
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    how do you purpose we address our debt issue? It's obvious Obama isn't smart/capable enough to deal with it himself. I would rather go into another recession for a year, than to kick the can down the road. I care about this country 10+ years from now, even if others don't.
    Replace the House with members who are actually willing to negotiate and not just slam their fists on the table while repeating whinning "give us everything we want right now!!!!!". If i couldnt get that, id settle for them emotionally maturing into adulthood and realizing they are hurting this nation with their refusal to do their jobs.

    But you know, thats just "in an ideal world" type stuff.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -19
    TheWalrus's Avatar
    1/7/14

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2011
    Posts:
    9,170
    vCash:
    37480
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    this bill raises revenue, but doesn't cut spending. That's my main issue. Our problem is spending, not taxes being too low. In a few weeks, the revenue raised by this tax increase will be spent. Hopefully, when it comes time to raise thr debt limit, the republicans won't raise it at all, or they need to at least serverly cut spending.
    I don't agree. Our chief problem is high health care costs (which is mandatory spending) and revenue being artificially low because of the bad economy.

    Playing politics with the debt limit is dumb.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -20
    jared81's Avatar
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    4,797
    vCash:
    1097
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Replace the House with members who are actually willing to negotiate and not just slam their fists on the table while repeating whinning "give us everything we want right now!!!!!". If i couldnt get that, id settle for them emotionally maturing into adulthood and realizing they are hurting this nation with their refusal to do their jobs.

    But you know, thats just "in an ideal world" type stuff.
    Im asking for specifics to curtail our debt issue, not the bs you just stated.

    ---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    I don't agree. Our chief problem is high health care costs (which is mandatory spending) and revenue being artificially low because of the bad economy.

    Playing politics with the debt limit is dumb.
    So social security, Medicare and defense spending are at acceptable levels for you? Even the likes of bill maher agree that the big 3 need to be addressed.

    16 trillion in debt is dumb.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-05-2013, 11:41 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-05-2013, 11:20 AM
  3. What Obama's win means for fiscal cliff?
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2012, 04:37 PM
  4. Republicans Detest, Democrats Defend President Obama’s Budget
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-13-2012, 04:28 PM
  5. Obama rejects latest budget stop-gap proposal, says get deal done already!
    By Jersey DolFan in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-09-2011, 03:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •