Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dion jordan reminds me a lot of jason taylor

1. -21
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    he plays tonight against kstate tonight at 8:30. should be interesting to watch
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
    I will be interested in what your take is going fwd and who fits in BEST with the Fins scheme and personnel they currently posses.

I figured Werner and Moore would be gone...no? I thought Ansah could be moved around to get after the passer. Should be interesting.
    The way Ansah is getting love, he might be gone too. Reminds me of Chandler Jones.

I'm not sold that Damontre Moore is definitely going to go above our pick.

You have to take a step back from what you personally want and take a look at what the Dolphins need and are doing at the position. They took Olivier Vernon and they're not likely to feel any time soon that it was a mistake. But watching how they've morphed and molded him throughout the year is instructive. He plays a lot like a 3-4 OLB, and they've definitely dialed back the expectations on his pass rush ability. Meanwhile they really do seem like they might let Randy Starks walk and then move Jared Odrick over to take his spot. That won't be announced. They're not going to come out in a press conference and say that they're moving Odrick in to replace Starks. They'll probably do the opposite and talk about how now they have a need at defensive tackle and you'll see defensive tackles talked about for the Dolphins in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds. Then they'll take a defensive and and reveal it was their plan to move Odrick in to tackle all along. Sort of exactly how they handled things in the wake of Jason Ferguson retiring.

What that would do is open up a hole for what they've had in Jared Odrick, which is a big strong run stopping end that moves inside on pass downs. Who fits THAT description? That would be guys like Zeke Ansah and perhaps Sheldon Richardson. Datone Jones. Maybe William Gholston. Maybe Malliciah Goodman. Margus Hunt.

But at the same time they've got Koa Misi coming down to the line of scrimmage in pass rush situations and rushing opposite Cameron Wake. Forgive me, I think they know that's not viable long term. So they know they need a guy that can do that for him, but do they want to get that done with a guy that will have to come onto the field and then leave? Or should we be taking a clue from how they're using Koa Misi and look for a guy that can do more of that?

Sadly, the odds might be in favor of them continuing to beat their heads against a wall with Olivier Vernon trying to be a pass rusher.

And so I'm not scheduling them for heavy looks at guys like Jarvis Jones, Barkevious Mingo, Corey Lemonier or Brandon Jenkins.

But a big part of me hopes that they'll take into consideration guys that can get both jobs done against the run and pass, like Alex Okafor, Bjoern Werner and maybe Dion Jordan, James Gayle or Damontre Moore.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datruth55 View Post
    That was 1997 so I don't remember but judging the way Jason Taylor used to bull rush OT after a few speed rush and swim moves during his rookie season he was leaps and bounds stronger than Jordan and had a lot more pass rush moves than Jordan does now.
    For one thing no I don't think Jason Taylor was at Akron or ever was in his Miami career leaps and bounds stronger than Dion Jordan. I think Dion Jordan is actually very strong and it shows in the way he plays the run and uses his hands to shed blockers that come out to him.

I think the strength only looks that way because of the second point you alluded to which is that Dion Jordan lacks a pass rush repertoire. He overplays the outside shoulder, always, and it makes him highly predictable. He hardly EVER counters back to the inside. Seen him do it, and do it pretty well, but he just doesn't do it often. Seen him try some spin moves to the inside and I'll comfortably say, that's not going to be his thing. Given the position he's played at Oregon it's not entirely surprising he lacks a full array of moves. He's in need of coaching and confidence. Jason Taylor had a nice and varied pass rush repertoire in the NFL. And he certainly had the confidence to use it all.

However, that also brings me to my final point...did Jason really have that big of a tool box when he left Akron? Because I seem to remember Taylor struggling hard with variety his first three years in the NFL under DL Coach Cary Godette. People tend to forget that. He had 5 sacks his first year in the NFL and a nice 9 sack season in his second year, but then he struggled like hell in 1999 just to get 2.5 sacks as a full time right end. Full time. He played every down. 2.5 sacks. Taylor was done as a pro. Finished. "The book (had) been written" on how to block him. Tackles figured out that all you had to do was "muscle him" because all he had was the speed rush.

I recall that when Godette left, Taylor said that while Godette was there, he essentially considered old man Trace Armstrong to be his DL Coach. That's not the greatest thing because Trace Armstrong himself was the epitome of a one-trick pony as a pass rusher, so in all likelihood any advice he gave Taylor was just "Hey man if you're a speed rusher be a speed rusher, nothin wrong with being what you are".

Somewhere around that time, he started to get better defensive line coaching. I think his next coach was Clarence Brooks. Around that time I think Brooks started to teach Jason that it was OK to get into a four-point stance. That seemed to me like a turning point for Jason. I do remember that at that time his four-point stances were considered way outside the norm for the position and many coaches just didn't like it, and that was part of why Taylor was considered good for the Dolphins' scheme under Johnson and Wannstedt but not necessarily the same game changer in a different scheme. I think the four-point stance came with it a bevy of new and more dangerous counters that made Jason a more complete player. But I think the range of moves he showed in the second half of his career doesn't speak well to how he was when he was accounting for just 5.5 sacks a year in his first 3 years in the NFL...and probably (though I never watched him there) doesn't indicate his range back at Akron either.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not much on the intelligence side of the equation:
    Spent a month in the burn unit as a high school senior after suffering second and third degree burns while trying to siphon gasoline with a vacuum cleaner
    http://www.draftcountdown.com/Scouti...ion-Jordan.php
    "It happens all the time," Taylor said. "It's not an exact science and personnel guys aren't the end-all, be-all. " Jason Taylor,2011
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    I hate everyone else in the AFC East

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    DK his mom was a crazy drug addict and the kid stuck by her and did anything to help her and his family get through it. Apparently she isn't an addict anymore because of Dions help. I would imagine he was probably stealing gas for his family. But I don't know that full story.
    Let's go Miami!!!!
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    See that failed 4th & 1 on K-State's first drive if you think Jordan is weak against the run, or weak period. Handled K-State's right tackle, kept his outside arm free, broke thru at will and kept Klein from bouncing it outside.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    plus, the fact that Olivier Vernon is still developing and learning...they´re not gonna quit on him that quickly...
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Man Jordan is on skates so far he's getting pushed all over the place by a TE?
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ANUFan View Post
    Man Jordan is on skates so far he's getting pushed all over the place by a TE?
    I think you're looking at the wrong player. Jordan is being subbed out a lot, not least because he re-aggravated shoulder. Not seen him be pushed around by anyone.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Seen only two pass rush reps from Jordan so far. One a perfect outside rush, another a terrible one. Now he just busted thru backfield and took out Klein in the backfield on a run. That was. Big play on goal lie. Now another big one challenged the lead blocker with hands forcing Klein to keep the option.

A third pass rush rep that wasn't a pass rush at all. He came in with goal of disrupting back out of backfield en route to QB so that Klein couldn't just dump to the back on a flare, and Jordan murdered the guy with his hands. Totally disrupted that route. Didn't matter as Klein scrambled opposite direction for TD.

Jordan really showing off those violent hands I keep talking about.
    Quote Quote