Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: No extra 6th round pick from the Colts

1. -41
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So I guess Jeff Ireland lied to Vontae Davis at the conclusion of their meeting in Ireland's office, the segment shown on Hard Knocks:

"What did you get for me?'

"A couple of picks."

Vontae got three picks. You would think that could have been the trigger toward the bonus pick. Matches his career average. Anything along those lines. I'd try to include any number of variables to secure the extra pick, meeting the bar in one category, instead of doing it sloppy toward mere playing time. Granted, we don't know exactly how it was worded but Ireland doesn't strike me as overly clever or resourceful. He could have used the Colts' draft position on the 2nd round pick to trigger the 6th rounder. They probably wouldn't have foreseen something in the 20s as overly likely.

Bottom line, we already got screwed based on how well the Colts fared. Greyboy posted the breakdown of top 40 picks making the Pro Bowl compared to lower second round. Quite a gap. And now we don't even get the extra pick. Retreat to those threads after the trade and I guarantee the supporters of the trade were touting the likelihood of a high second round pick, and an additional pick. Now those aspects are gone but they still have to pretend it as a master stroke.

We should have traded for their logo. A dolphin could kind of fit in there, lounging inside the U, like on a cruise ship near the pool.
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bay Area, Ca
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I saw Maiden in Tampa last year.....love them....my 2nd favorite band. You can guess who's number 1....lol

Ozzy rules!!

Sabbath/Ozzy of course!

Saw Maiden three times on their 08/09 tour.... including last show in Fort lauderdale.
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    Yep, you can't blame Ireland for not realizing depth is important, it is his first year as gm afterall. Rookie gm-ing mistake, hopefully lesson learned.
    yeah, Philbin and Croyle probaly had ZERO say in the trade as well right? If you don't think it was a collective decession then you're really at of touch with reality...

NOBODY and I MEAN NOBODY, at the beginning of the year would have thought the Colts were gonna go from 2-14 to 11-5. Signing Marshall made VD expendible after his issues with hitting the bottle, a second round pick from the team that picked #1 over all the previous year looked to be a decent trade... Speaking in hindsight doesn't make you smart.
    http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/rex-ryan-foot.jpg

currently the 19th ranked competitive eater in the world
    http://www.ifoce.com/rankings.php
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Chest Rockwell is my hero

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dirty Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Omen View Post
    yeah, Philbin and Croyle probaly had ZERO say in the trade as well right? If you don't think it was a collective decession then you're really at of touch with reality...

NOBODY and I MEAN NOBODY, at the beginning of the year would have thought the Colts were gonna go from 2-14 to 11-5. Signing Marshall made VD expendible after his issues with hitting the bottle, a second round pick from the team that picked #1 over all the previous year looked to be a decent trade... Speaking in hindsight doesn't make you smart.
    Lets not also forget that Marshall beat out Vontae in training camp by a large margin. Not sure why fans are blind to this fact.
    I believe any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle...Victorious

Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Central iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Not to mention the.fact, nobody really gives a **** about a 6th round pick, except for when we get screwed out of one in this trade!

Ive never heard so many ppl bitch about a 6th round pick in all my years on finheaven.
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bay Area, Ca
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The odds of Ireland Drafting a better player than Vonte with this pick are not good. That alone makes this a dumb move.
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    So I guess Jeff Ireland lied to Vontae Davis at the conclusion of their meeting in Ireland's office, the segment shown on Hard Knocks:

"What did you get for me?'

"A couple of picks."

Vontae got three picks. You would think that could have been the trigger toward the bonus pick. Matches his career average. Anything along those lines. I'd try to include any number of variables to secure the extra pick, meeting the bar in one category, instead of doing it sloppy toward mere playing time. Granted, we don't know exactly how it was worded but Ireland doesn't strike me as overly clever or resourceful. He could have used the Colts' draft position on the 2nd round pick to trigger the 6th rounder. They probably wouldn't have foreseen something in the 20s as overly likely.

Bottom line, we already got screwed based on how well the Colts fared. Greyboy posted the breakdown of top 40 picks making the Pro Bowl compared to lower second round. Quite a gap. And now we don't even get the extra pick. Retreat to those threads after the trade and I guarantee the supporters of the trade were touting the likelihood of a high second round pick, and an additional pick. Now those aspects are gone but they still have to pretend it as a master stroke.

We should have traded for their logo. A dolphin could kind of fit in there, lounging inside the U, like on a cruise ship near the pool.
    You sincerely think Vontae Davis played at a pro bowl level this year? The guy had 3 picks. Yes. Did you actually see those picks?

I can tell you right now that his week 17 interception was pure luck. He was out of position by a large margin, his man was wide open, but the pass was severely underthrown. Result? INT. I guess that's what you get.

Not to mention the obvious - He's now a free agent. A free agent who just picked up 2 garbage INTs with 1 admittedly great INT. Is that someone you really want to give a long term agreement to, especially when he's, as you pointed out for us, averaging about 3 INTs a season with a multitude of TD's given up?

I'm just stunned you genuinely think he's a pro bowl CB
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy685 View Post

Not to mention the obvious - He's now a free agent. A free agent who just picked up 2 garbage INTs with 1 admittedly great INT. Is that someone you really want to give a long term agreement to, especially when he's, as you pointed out for us, averaging about 3 INTs a season with a multitude of TD's given up?
    I'm pretty sure he only becomes a free agent next year
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So let me get this straight. Irelands strikes out on the 6th round pick and instead of holding him accountable we than shift the blame to vontae?? lol, never ceases to amaze me. Vontaes never been in the playoffs before, im expecting him to have a big game and show his real potential. He has a motivator overthere in indy, pagano. Never had it in miami and never got the chance under philbin. its coming.
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallFin1 View Post
    So let me get this straight. Irelands strikes out on the 6th round pick and instead of holding him accountable we than shift the blame to vontae?? lol, never ceases to amaze me. Vontaes never been in the playoffs before, im expecting him to have a big game and show his real potential. He has a motivator overthere in indy, pagano. Never had it in miami and never got the chance under philbin. its coming.
    The reason Ireland isn't getting the extra 6th is because with the exception of a game or two, Vonate pretty much sucked with the Colts this season.

Quote Quote