Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Dolphins' roster casualty and extension candidate

1. -41
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Southern California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    ehhh feel weird about Misi but it doesnt seem like he has passion for the game... i remember reading articles that he never watched a game of football.

but he did improve this year then his previous year.
    Miami Dolphins, Miami Heat , Virginia Tech

Xbox Live : Tiko7523
    Psn : Tiko7523
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Phins-Spotlight.com

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiko377 View Post
    ehhh feel weird about Misi but it doesnt seem like he has passion for the game... i remember reading articles that he never watched a game of football.

but he did improve this year then his previous year.
    And Tannehill doesn't know the divisions.
    --
    Chris J. Nelson

About me:
    I am a production assistant for Turner Sports and I love my job. I also love the Dolphins and have been writing my own blog since 2007. I would love if you gave it a look and considered it as part of your regular Dolphins web rotation.

Visit my blog at phins-spotlight.com and follow me on twitter @phinsspotlight!
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    hey mateo still think rey rey is as good in coverage as dansby or that dansby wears a target at it??? let me tell ya the texans game plan today revolved around attacking rey rey in coverage and he wore a target all game long...dansby has never worn a target or been the focal point of any offensive gameplan...the bengals left rey rey on the field on 3rd down at times and it bit them in the ass...just like just about any check down in the flat to a rb did or any cross face te route...it was pitch and catch
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    hey mateo still think rey rey is as good in coverage as dansby or that dansby wears a target at it??? let me tell ya the texans game plan today revolved around attacking rey rey in coverage and he wore a target all game long...dansby has never worn a target or been the focal point of any offensive gameplan...the bengals left rey rey on the field on 3rd down at times and it bit them in the ass...just like just about any check down in the flat to a rb did or any cross face te route...it was pitch and catch
    You're telling me that the Patriots don't game plan on attacking our mike lb every game?? Lol Come on man

Again, I never said I wanted the guy, I was just making the point that for the price of Dansby we might as well get a cheaper version of him.

And yeah I saw Rey get destroyed tonight
    2014 Mock Draft

1. Zack Martin - OT/OG - Notre Dame
    2. Chris Borland - ILB - Wisconsin
    3. C.J. Fiedeorowicz - TE - Iowa
    4. Trai Turner - OG - LSU
    5. Brandon Thomas - OT/OG - Clemson
    6. Storm Johnson - RB - South Florida
    7. Calvin Barnett - DT - Oklahoma State

Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJNelson View Post
    I'm not sure why there's the misconception here that I'm saying these guys will be cut. I'm simply exploring reasoning for and against. As I say with practically each guy, I don't see a move looming simply because of team need and abundant cap space already.

As for your post, hooshoops, I appreciate the detail and opinions. Always fun to discuss.

And finally, as for Bess--like I said, maybe he doesn't get cut this year. But my question is if you re-sign Hartline, sign a starting free agent and draft one or two guys high that you expect to contribute, do you really pay Bess what he's making to be that third, fourth or fifth guy when he doesn't even play special teams. Like I said, I get the fanfare here because he's a great story, but anyone that thinks there's a ton of upside there or that he's irreplaceable is mistaken.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

Bess is Welker. He's Amendola. He's well below the elite slot receiver in the game, which is Victor Cruz. He's a pure slot guy and there are fairly easy to replace. I like Bess too but he doesn't offer any upside or playmaking ability. The Dolphins wouldn't miss him if they re-signed Hartline and did their job acquiring talent in the draft and free agency.

Bess is a good player but he is not welker not even close.
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    The truth is out there.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    Bess is a good player but he is not welker not even close.
    Wait what, let me read that again, he said Bess is Welker?

This sig in memory of 'Crazylegs' Elroy Hirsch. Go. Packers.
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Phins-Spotlight.com

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It pains me to see there are still Dolphins fans that think Welker is all that special, and at the same time probably still angry the Dolphins traded him.

For the last time--yes, Bess is Welker. I'm not sure if you've looked, but when Welker was in Miami (a much crappier team with no legitimate quarterback), he was a solid slot receiver that barely averaged 10 yards a catch and couldn't find the end zone very often. In Miami (without a regular capable quarterback), Bess has absolutely matched everything about his production.

I know Welker's constant production and 120+ catches seem, gaudy, but the reality is he is very much a product of the system he's in. He has a fantastic head coach (who loves shaming rivals), an elite quarterback who gets infinite time to throw, and has constantly been around other talent on offense (Moss, Gronk, etc.). Welker is a good slot receiver--he plays on mismatches, has good hands, runs crisp routes. But he is not an elite wideout in the sense of a Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson or AJ Green. Is a good slot guy and that is all.

That is what Bess is, and there is no doubt in my mind Bess could replicate Welker's success if he were in New England. He has all the same attributes and doesn't lack in any categories. He IS Welker. A good slot guy with reliable hands. He easily matched Welker's production in Miami and Welker's production in New England is simply the result of a better quarterback, better offense and more passing attempts.

Hell, look at what Mike Furrey did with the Lions in his career year. Being a slot guy has its challenges but the production is almost entirely the result of mismatches and the nature of the position--short, high-percentage routes and throws. Look at Danny Amendola. It's all the same thing. Don't overrate Welker because he's in an elite offense that allows him to catch more balls than most.

Stop kicking yourself because the Dolphins traded Welker. While they essentially gained nothing from the trade, they also replaced him almost instantly with an identical player and wouldn't have been any better off these past six years with Welker in Miami. Plus he's turned into quite a cocky douche since he left, and I have no need for him.
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJNelson View Post
    It pains me to see there are still Dolphins fans that think Welker is all that special, and at the same time probably still angry the Dolphins traded him.

For the last time--yes, Bess is Welker. I'm not sure if you've looked, but when Welker was in Miami (a much crappier team with no legitimate quarterback), he was a solid slot receiver that barely averaged 10 yards a catch and couldn't find the end zone very often. In Miami (without a regular capable quarterback), Bess has absolutely matched everything about his production.

I know Welker's constant production and 120+ catches seem, gaudy, but the reality is he is very much a product of the system he's in. He has a fantastic head coach (who loves shaming rivals), an elite quarterback who gets infinite time to throw, and has constantly been around other talent on offense (Moss, Gronk, etc.). Welker is a good slot receiver--he plays on mismatches, has good hands, runs crisp routes. But he is not an elite wideout in the sense of a Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson or AJ Green. Is a good slot guy and that is all.

That is what Bess is, and there is no doubt in my mind Bess could replicate Welker's success if he were in New England. He has all the same attributes and doesn't lack in any categories. He IS Welker. A good slot guy with reliable hands. He easily matched Welker's production in Miami and Welker's production in New England is simply the result of a better quarterback, better offense and more passing attempts.

Hell, look at what Mike Furrey did with the Lions in his career year. Being a slot guy has its challenges but the production is almost entirely the result of mismatches and the nature of the position--short, high-percentage routes and throws. Look at Danny Amendola. It's all the same thing. Don't overrate Welker because he's in an elite offense that allows him to catch more balls than most.

Stop kicking yourself because the Dolphins traded Welker. While they essentially gained nothing from the trade, they also replaced him almost instantly with an identical player and wouldn't have been any better off these past six years with Welker in Miami. Plus he's turned into quite a cocky douche since he left, and I have no need for him.
    If what welker does is so not special how come nobody else has ever done it in NE. If he is such a product of the system why is he the only guy that has done that. People kill me with that crap that Bess would do the same. Better receivers in NE have not done the same. Again why has no other player in this elite offense ever did these things, simple answer because Welker is much better than u give him credit for.
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Phins-Spotlight.com

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If what welker does is so not special how come nobody else has ever done it in NE. If he is such a product of the system why is he the only guy that has done that. People kill me with that crap that Bess would do the same. Better receivers in NE have not done the same. Again why has no other player in this elite offense ever did these things, simple answer because Welker is much better than u give him credit for.
    I'm not saying Welker is bad, but he's not elite either. Victor Cruz plays extensively out of the slot and you see what he does. (He's actually better than Welker because he's faster and has more deep-play ability.) But it's obvious that guys like Bess and Amendola are fully capable of the same thing, only their reception/yardage totals aren't as high because of the teams they are on.
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    The truth is out there.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Because
    Quote Quote