Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 91

Thread: Dolphins' roster casualty and extension candidate

  1. -81
    ChrisJNelson's Avatar
    Phins-Spotlight.com

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2006
    Posts:
    971
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    U could use would have and could have's with all kinds of players but no I dont think even in NE that Bess would have 5 110 receptions seasons or even one
    See? That's just nonsense.
    --
    Chris J. Nelson

    About me:
    I am a production assistant for Turner Sports and I love my job. I also love the Dolphins and have been writing my own blog since 2007. I would love if you gave it a look and considered it as part of your regular Dolphins web rotation.

    Visit my blog at phins-spotlight.com and follow me on twitter @phinsspotlight!
    Quote Quote  

  2. -82
    dlockz's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    32,407
    vCash:
    31017
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJNelson View Post
    See? That's just nonsense.
    No thats my opinion and nothing u can present can invalidate it. You can say maybe and thats about it. You dealing in what ifs. Thats still 31 more receptions than he has ever had. How many other ne receivers have ever done that ? Its far from a sure thing that Bess would do it
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -83
    ChrisJNelson's Avatar
    Phins-Spotlight.com

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2006
    Posts:
    971
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    No thats my opinion and nothing u can present can invalidate it. You can say maybe and thats about it. You dealing in what ifs. Thats still 31 more receptions than he has ever had. How many other ne receivers have ever done that ? Its far from a sure thing that Bess would do it
    Of course we can't know since Bess was never on the Patriots in the team's prime, but we can use our brains and player evaluation skills. Like I showed, Bess would just need 2-3 more catches a game in New England than he gets in Miami. Based on what I've seen of Bess (and I'm not a HUGE fan of the guy because there's no upside and he's pure slot), I'd say it's pretty obvious he could accomplish that kind of production boost in the Patriots' environment.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -84
    dlockz's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    32,407
    vCash:
    31017
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJNelson View Post
    Of course we can't know since Bess was never on the Patriots in the team's prime, but we can use our brains and player evaluation skills. Like I showed, Bess would just need 2-3 more catches a game in New England than he gets in Miami. Based on what I've seen of Bess (and I'm not a HUGE fan of the guy because there's no upside and he's pure slot), I'd say it's pretty obvious he could accomplish that kind of production boost in the Patriots' environment.
    Well last I checked we both have brains. You summize that any good slot receiver could put up these numbers. My brain tells me that what he had one in NE is special and not just any good slot reciever could do it.
    Thats like the arguement that Bush could lead the league in rushing based on his average per carry and that if he ran the ball more he would. Teams prepare for Wes Welker and he still week in and week out produces at a level that no receiver has ever done. No he is not a deep threat but he is the best at what he does and Bess is not in his class. If it was so easy every good team would have a guy putting up Welker numbers.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -85
    ChrisJNelson's Avatar
    Phins-Spotlight.com

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2006
    Posts:
    971
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    Well last I checked we both have brains. You summize that any good slot receiver could put up these numbers. My brain tells me that what he had one in NE is special and not just any good slot reciever could do it.
    Thats like the arguement that Bush could lead the league in rushing based on his average per carry and that if he ran the ball more he would. Teams prepare for Wes Welker and he still week in and week out produces at a level that no receiver has ever done. No he is not a deep threat but he is the best at what he does and Bess is not in his class. If it was so easy every good team would have a guy putting up Welker numbers.
    It's not easy, but it's not easy because 31 teams don't have Belichick and Brady, not because 31 teams don't have Welker.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -86
    dlockz's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2004
    Posts:
    32,407
    vCash:
    31017
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJNelson View Post
    It's not easy, but it's not easy because 31 teams don't have Belichick and Brady, not because 31 teams don't have Welker.
    Last time I checked other teams have good coach and qb combos. Peytong manning never had a slot receiver produce like that over an over
    Quote Quote  

  7. -87
    ChrisJNelson's Avatar
    Phins-Spotlight.com

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2006
    Posts:
    971
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    Last time I checked other teams have good coach and qb combos. Peytong manning never had a slot receiver produce like that over an over
    He never needed one.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -88
    matt11390's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    2,648
    vCash:
    6574
    Loc:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJNelson View Post
    I'm not sure why there's the misconception here that I'm saying these guys will be cut. I'm simply exploring reasoning for and against. As I say with practically each guy, I don't see a move looming simply because of team need and abundant cap space already.

    As for your post, hooshoops, I appreciate the detail and opinions. Always fun to discuss.

    And finally, as for Bess--like I said, maybe he doesn't get cut this year. But my question is if you re-sign Hartline, sign a starting free agent and draft one or two guys high that you expect to contribute, do you really pay Bess what he's making to be that third, fourth or fifth guy when he doesn't even play special teams. Like I said, I get the fanfare here because he's a great story, but anyone that thinks there's a ton of upside there or that he's irreplaceable is mistaken.

    ---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------



    Bess is Welker. He's Amendola. He's well below the elite slot receiver in the game, which is Victor Cruz. He's a pure slot guy and there are fairly easy to replace. I like Bess too but he doesn't offer any upside or playmaking ability. The Dolphins wouldn't miss him if they re-signed Hartline and did their job acquiring talent in the draft and free agency.
    I disagree with your Bess assessment. He is a playmaker as he is virtually "Mr. First Down" and has tremendous hands. If your definition is only about touchdowns then yes he isn't but the lack of touchdowns has a lot to do with overall QB play as much as defenses scheming on Bess because he's our only option. IMO of course.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -89
    flynryan15's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2009
    Posts:
    12,393
    vCash:
    5234
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    If Dan Marino was on the 49ers he would have matched Montana's superbowls
    The above post is not subject to penalty under the TOS I declare the Hayden Fox defense. " It is impossible for the staff to know my context therefore I cannot be penalized"

    Quote Quote  

  10. -90
    ChrisJNelson's Avatar
    Phins-Spotlight.com

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2006
    Posts:
    971
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by matt11390 View Post
    I disagree with your Bess assessment. He is a playmaker as he is virtually "Mr. First Down" and has tremendous hands. If your definition is only about touchdowns then yes he isn't but the lack of touchdowns has a lot to do with overall QB play as much as defenses scheming on Bess because he's our only option. IMO of course.
    I'm not trying to criticize Bess. I think he's good at what he does. I just mean a playmaker in that he doesn't have the size to come down with deep balls, doesn't have the speed to stretch the field. But there is absolutely something to be said for a good slot receiver that can catch those short passes, convert third downs, etc. Bess is limited and isn't going to get much better than he already is, but he absolutely is good in his role.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. War's other casualty - Forests
    By Miamian in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2006, 01:14 PM
  2. Extension given to Dolphins
    By Spegg in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 09-24-2005, 04:54 PM
  3. Is Surtain a Cap Casualty?
    By ScottLawrence in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-13-2004, 05:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •