Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another solid CB could be on the open market, Chris Gamble

1. -11
    next generation

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rottenchester
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Gamble. Solid? No! Off of that list my top target would be Derek Cox. Should sign for a lot less than someone like DRC and play at a higher level.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Phins-Spotlight.com

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phinatic1399 View Post
    Chris Houston had 57 tckl, 2int this year and is only 28 how is he washed up?
    More like he's never been good.

As for Gamble, I'd try to go younger/healther. I'd look at Grimes if he's a bargain (he's older but an elite corner when healthy) or Derek Cox or Antoine Cason.
    --
    Chris J. Nelson

About me:
    I am a production assistant for Turner Sports and I love my job. I also love the Dolphins and have been writing my own blog since 2007. I would love if you gave it a look and considered it as part of your regular Dolphins web rotation.

Visit my blog at phins-spotlight.com and follow me on twitter @phinsspotlight!
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phinatic1399 View Post
    Chris Houston had 57 tckl, 2int this year and is only 28 how is he washed up?
    he was always more hype than substance...perfect for a detroit secondary...guys never been very good

casons overrated also...porter can't stay healthy...carey williams has his moments...and then he has others where you say no thanks...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm in favor of a veteran at the position. It seems like teams have some good luck reclaiming veteran corners that are out of favor or not deemed important enough to re-sign elsewhere. That's how San Fran got hold of Carlos Rogers. Houston doing fine with Johnathan Joseph. Washington's certainly glad they have DeAngelo Hall. That's how we picked up Andre Goodman AND Will Allen, probably the best two corners that have been in Miami since the Madison/Surtain heyday. That's how the Vikings picked up Antoine Winfield, how the Bengals picked up Pacman Jones, it's how the Jets got Antonio Cromartie. Chris Houston has been solid with Detroit which is his second team I believe. Sheldon Brown has been solid with Cleveland as an ex-Eagle. Washington seems pretty happy with Josh Wilson who is an ex-Seahawk. Jabari Greer's been decent in New Orleans after his Buffalo days. Eric Wright was a Brown, then a Lion, and now a big money player with the Bucs. Terrance Newman is looking genuinely good with the Bengals.

Seems like that position more than others, teams play a lot of musical chairs with their groomed veterans, always trying to get better. Smart GMs with good pro personnel departments that can identify guys that make it to market that can do exactly what you need in your system...seem to be able to make out pretty good when taking one of these veterans.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

5. -15

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    nothing like short term fixes...i guess you could call em fixes...terrence newman was awful his last year with the cowboys...he was solid this year in cinci but his shelf life is pretty much over with...

go ahead get a bunch of old corners...i get it...they may be cheap but when they fall off the table it's gonna be ugly...and some of those guys have already fallen off the damn table
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    From what I saw of Chris Houston, he was a step slow and beaten like a drum. But I wouldn't be averse to cap-friendly free agent and then maybe a 3rd round corner like the kid from Illinois. The rook may not be ready to start, so the veteran covers you there. Keenan Lewis was a kid I liked out of Oregon State a few years ago and may be coming into his own now.

I like Patterson as a third corner and you could live with the rookie and Carroll as 4th and 5th corners. But assuming Smith is back, then maybe you get a veteran like Lewis to pair with Smith.

As for Marshall, I am not figuring him into the mix at corner. Too slow. I'd either release him or move him to free safety.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What about Carlos Rogers' time in San Francisco suggests he's a "short term fix"? What about Johnathan Joseph's status in Houston suggests that everything will come crashing down around their ears with him shortly? DeAngelo Hall has been in Washington for 5 years. Antoine Winfield has been in Minnesota for 9 years. Antonio Cromartie has been in New York 3 years and is under contract for 2 more years. Jabari Greer has been in New Orleans for 4 years.

Meanwhile, Vontae Davis lasted 3 years here before getting traded. Will Allen lasted longer here. Andre Goodman lasted just as long.

And who suggested that the Dolphins shouldn't draft the position even if they grab a veteran?
    Quote Quote  

8. -18

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i don't see much that would interest me at cb in free agency...and i have no interest in any 32 year old hanging on guy that's for damn sure...but then again sean smith fell off the table so much over the course of this year maybe new blood will be better...

it's not like we have a real #1...if i targeted anyone it would be cox and i'd sniff keenan lewis and grimes market...
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Life is what we make it.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta via Exit 9 - New
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think our DC can work with one of these guys. However, I do hope that we draft a youngster at the position.

Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My guess is signing a new free agent or retaining Sean Smith is an either/or deal, with a rookie strewn into the mix either way.

Smith would be pricey. Marshall--I'd get rid of him, but he's around. Patterson's contract, unless restructured, is pretty big. Can they re-sign Smith, restructure Patterson, release Marshall, and then sign a new free agent? That seems like alot of moving parts to make work.

If I had to guess, Ireland will look at Sean Smith and compare him with a kid like Lewis and make a choice.

In the draft, tere should be some good second day corners. Hawthorne..the underclassman from Ohio State, the Rutgers kid, et al.

The problem is, we still need a pass rusher like a Mingo, Werner, Jordan, Moore; a TE like an Eifert, Ertz, Fauria; one to two receivers like Bailey and the list we all know; a free safety like a Rambo; even a linebacker like Greene, and an OG like Cooper.

We can't draft them all.
    Quote Quote