Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another solid CB could be on the open market, Chris Gamble

1. -31
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kvado16 View Post
    Brent Grimes or DRC
    DRC is going to be 1) overpaid 2) expected to be the #1 CB for a team.

That's bad news for whoever signs him. I really think he's overrated because of his size and speed. He's a far cry from Patrick Peterson (a lot of comparisons get made between these two)
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Phins-Spotlight.com

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy685 View Post
    I can't believe there are people who think Chris Houston is a bust.
    What else would you call a second-round pick who was terrible for all three years with his drafted team and is average on his best day?
    --
    Chris J. Nelson

About me:
    I am a production assistant for Turner Sports and I love my job. I also love the Dolphins and have been writing my own blog since 2007. I would love if you gave it a look and considered it as part of your regular Dolphins web rotation.

Visit my blog at phins-spotlight.com and follow me on twitter @phinsspotlight!
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJNelson View Post
    What else would you call a second-round pick who was terrible for all three years with his drafted team and is average on his best day?
    I'd call him a bust. But I thought we were talking about Chris Houston.

I'm open to having a discussion here, but only if there's actual discussion, and not just blanket talking points of "OH HE SUCKS" with no analysis behind it. Come on now, Chris!
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Reality.
    Strong argument. Really showed me.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'd call him a bust. But I thought we were talking about Chris Houston.

I'm open to having a discussion here, but only if there's actual discussion, and not just blanket talking points of "OH HE SUCKS" with no analysis behind it. Come on now, Chris!
    Based on the coaches tape that I've seen of him, I do wonder if he sometimes gives a little too much respect to fast guys. For example, he played Brandon Marshall beautifully, but he gave up too much space to Devin Hester underneath even though to be honest there was nothing physically holding him back from being able to keep up with Hester.

Just looking now at his PFF stats, this could be way perhaps unsurprisingly one of his toughest coverage days of the year was against Philly when he gave up a 15 yard catch to Maclin, and 5 of 6 for 74 yards against DeSean Jackson. Though the 1 incomplete was an interception by Houston.

One of his biggest problems wasn't really his problem at all. The safety play in Detroit was...shall we say, questionable?
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    Phins-Spotlight.com

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    Based on the coaches tape that I've seen of him, I do wonder if he sometimes gives a little too much respect to fast guys. For example, he played Brandon Marshall beautifully, but he gave up too much space to Devin Hester underneath even though to be honest there was nothing physically holding him back from being able to keep up with Hester.

One of his biggest problems wasn't really his problem at all. The safety play in Detroit was...shall we say, questionable?
    That's fair. I suppose I don't trust him from how bad he was in Atlanta, when I had the opportunity to see him a lot more. He does appear to have become more reliable in Detroit.
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    more castoffs i see. Didndt we already try that this offseason with richard marshall? he played what 4 games just like gamble? no thanks, we need to pick up our groceries in the draft.
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That's fair. I suppose I don't trust him from how bad he was in Atlanta, when I had the opportunity to see him a lot more. He does appear to have become more reliable in Detroit.
    Again, and I hate to make it seem like I'm picking on you but I haven't received an answer - What do you see specifically in his play that justifies this opinion? When he was a rookie he absolutely had issues with play recognition and getting beat off the press (he was strong coming out of college, that's it. Poor technique for an outside cover corner) I'm seeing a ton of conclusions from you, at times ones that come off incredibly condescending, but no real analysis behind it. For someone who spent their own money on a blog to share their thoughts, I'm frankly a little disappointed.

And CK - Maybe my view of his hips failing him are simply a misread of what you described, because I see the same thing when he faces the faster receivers. I'm by no means able to break down a guy in the secondary like you can, but I noticed exactly what you did.

I honestly don't hate him as a 2nd boundary CB.
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    Phins-Spotlight.com

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Again, and I hate to make it seem like I'm picking on you but I haven't received an answer - What do you see specifically in his play that justifies this opinion? When he was a rookie he absolutely had issues with play recognition and getting beat off the press (he was strong coming out of college, that's it. Poor technique for an outside cover corner) I'm seeing a ton of conclusions from you, at times ones that come off incredibly condescending, but no real analysis behind it. For someone who spent their own money on a blog to share their thoughts, I'm frankly a little disappointed.

And CK - Maybe my view of his hips failing him are simply a misread of what you described, because I see the same thing when he faces the faster receivers. I'm by no means able to break down a guy in the secondary like you can, but I noticed exactly what you did.

I honestly don't hate him as a 2nd boundary CB.
    Essentially what you said of his time in Atlanta. I have memories of that and I have not had the privilege of watching him play much in 2012. But it seems you guys are correct in that he's gotten much better since he departed the Falcons.
    Quote Quote  

10. -40
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    from that list, i'd be happy with either Grimes, Cox, or Lewis- maybe Porter, Houston, or Butler for a reasonable price... in an ideal world, i'd be all for resigning Smith (if he came at a cheap deal) & signing one of those guys, and also drafting a DB with one of our 3-7 round picks.
    Quote Quote