Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can the Dolphins trust GM Jeff Ireland?

1. -11
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    I am not an Ireland guy...but he never gets credit for guys he DID NOT sign and nobody ever talks about getting Cam Wake locked up longterm well before this offseason.

Let's face it, Jeff needs to be a much more explosive offseason together. That is his challenge.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
    I am not an Ireland guy...but he never gets credit for guys he DID NOT sign and nobody ever talks about getting Cam Wake locked up longterm well before this offseason.

Let's face it, Jeff needs to be a much more explosive offseason together. That is his challenge.
    Didn't Wake get into the final year of his contract and had a mini protest by sitting out some training camp before Ireland extended him?
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Galactic Empire medalManchester United FCPS4 ControllerCam Wake 912013 Dolphins Logo

Re: Can the Dolphins trust GM Jeff Ireland?

Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    Didn't Wake get into the final year of his contract and had a mini protest by sitting out some training camp before Ireland extended him?
    He was still signed to a team friendly deal. Even your hate of Ireland cant change that.
    Im selling a club level ticket to the Dolphins v Raiders in London - will sell it for below face value. PM me if your interested.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    This Is My House

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He's proven to get decent to solid players, but he just fails every year to get game changers. He misses on play makers for players who can't even get active.

Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_dolfan View Post
    He was still signed to a team friendly deal. Even your hate of Ireland cant change that.
    I know Wake never became a free agent but I believe he was only extended weeks before the final season of his contract. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Wake has been the only player Ireland has extended prior to playing his final season, that's hardly an accomplishment.

If he would have had the foresight to extend Hartline and Smith prior to this past season I would like to say i would give Ireland credit but in reality nobody would have, much the same way you don't give doctor credit for diagnosing your diabetes, he's just doing his job. Its only when the doctor fails to diagnose your diabetes and you go blind does he truly get judged on his abilities.

If we extend Jones at some point this offseason Ireland did his job. If Jones becomes a free agent Ireland is a putz.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    If he would have had the foresight to extend Hartline and Smith prior to this past season I would like to say i would give Ireland credit but in reality nobody would have, much the same way you don't give doctor credit for diagnosing your diabetes, he's just doing his job. Its only when the doctor fails to diagnose your diabetes and you go blind does he truly get judged on his abilities.
    almost everybody on this board was screaming for Ireland to extend Jake Long (myself included) last year too.... imagine how much more you would've hated him had he followed through with that!

Sometimes it's not about Foresight, sometimes a little luck is involved... and I'm not talking about Andrew
    http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/rex-ryan-foot.jpg

currently the 19th ranked competitive eater in the world
    http://www.ifoce.com/rankings.php
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Omen View Post
    almost everybody on this board was screaming for Ireland to extend Jake Long (myself included) last year too.... imagine how much more you would've hated him had he followed through with that!

Sometimes it's not about Foresight, sometimes a little luck is involved... and I'm not talking about Andrew
    I don't remember many wanting Long to be extended nor do I think he would have given us much of a discount to make it worthwhile.

I do remember a lot wanted him to be traded though which probably would have been the ideal move in hindsight.

http://www.finheaven.com/show...highlight=long
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No GM makes his decision based only on his judgment of a player. It is a colaborative effort with the team's scouts, the head coach and assistants, I believe. Ireland had to draft for Sporano's vision of the team, and I would think that's why Pat White was drafted (to run the wildcat). This summer, I'm assuming Philbin will also share his thoughts on the players they are scouting to see if they'll be good fits. I'm sure he'll give his input on the type of players he wants. And Ireland will probably make his draft decisions based on colaborated opinions, and not just his own.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post

No one "gives him credit" for not signing players because its a extremely weak justification for him remaining our general manager. Where would it end? List every single player that teams didnt sign? What about the flip side, should we discredit him for every single good player he DID NOT sign? How about trades, should we assign credit for him not trading a first round pick for Nick Foles and then immediately blame him for not trading for Tom Brady?
    If we have to give our general manager credit for not signing horrible players(although he DID sign Marc Colombo.....) then doesnt that say something about how bad this front office really is?

And signing a player who is protesting is hardly credit worthy. To impress me, he should have locked him up before Wake, a quintessential team-first-no-complaints player, became utterly disgusted by the situation. Had Wake not had his mini-holdout, i have no doubt he would have remained unsigned. By all reports, Ireland refused to hold any sort of serious negotiations until everything started going down. Thats bad general managing.
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Omen View Post

Id feel a heck of alot better if we hadnt spent the first overall pick on the player who everyone is now relieved is leaving the team.

Probably could have used some foresight during that draft.
    Quote Quote