Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can the Dolphins trust GM Jeff Ireland?

1. -21
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Id feel a heck of alot better if we hadnt spent the first overall pick on the player who everyone is now relieved is leaving the team.

Probably could have used some foresight during that draft.
    Praise the lord we can finally rid ourselves of our first overall pick!!

Only on finheaven does a guy get credit for not turning a hole he created into a giant crater.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ohio
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jeff seems to take a lot of insight from the coaching staff. I say, let's see how they do again this draft.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    I don't remember many wanting Long to be extended nor do I think he would have given us much of a discount to make it worthwhile.

I do remember a lot wanted him to be traded though which probably would have been the ideal move in hindsight.

http://www.finheaven.com/show...highlight=long
    I skimmed through this hypothetical thread that posed the question "If we are out of the playoff hunt before trade deadline (just a matter of time), would you trade Jake Long?"... Basically it was asking people what they thought his trade value was worth, not what they would like to happen with Jake and the fins, even with that looks like most wanted a 1st or better, some wanted to extend him (meaning they didn't even feel like trading him). I really enjoy how you only see what you want to see... That thread was created after the start of the season, I was talking about last year.

but I want to make sure I understand you correctly, Ireland is an idiot because he wasn't able to land a 1sr round pick for a LT that has injury issues, but you can't at least say it was the right move to wait out his contract before considering offering him a huge extension? Would you like some cake, you can even eat it too!

Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Id feel a heck of alot better if we hadnt spent the first overall pick on the player who everyone is now relieved is leaving the team.

Probably could have used some foresight during that draft.
    this thread was an interesting read... particullarly reply #5

http://www.finheaven.com/show...ke+Long+Extend
    http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/rex-ryan-foot.jpg

currently the 19th ranked competitive eater in the world
    http://www.ifoce.com/rankings.php
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kissimmee,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's funny how the Ireland's lovers on this board get upset every time someone hates on Ireland but it's ok for them to defend him with every post. Face it guys, those 12 or so of you who love Ireland are very, very few. Everyone else in the whole football world thinks he has not done a good job. You can't tell me that you actually want to look when you see that card going up on draft day. If you guys are honest, you know you're worry as to who he's going to draft.

Ozzy rules!!
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    the gronkowski miss really bothers me. That guy is like a WR/FB/TE all put into one, he is a freak of nature with great hands, look how much better the pats got when they took those 2 big tight ends that get open. In all fairness to egnew i dont think he has gotten much of a chance to show what he can do either. I want ireland gone but i dont think he is that bad, the vontae and marshall trades had philbin request written all over it. Those were philbin orders and imo stephen ross wants his gm to do what philbin wants, ireland has final say but the more he does what the coach wants the more chance he gets to keep his job. I think we are going to do fine this draft, you got philbin and ross sitting right next to ireland, there input helped out last draft so i think it continues this draft. Im expecting us to sign mike wallace in free agency and go after a better secondary in the draft. Upgrade the cb position and FS position.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    It's funny how the Ireland's lovers on this board get upset every time someone hates on Ireland but it's ok for them to defend him with every post. Face it guys, those 12 or so of you who love Ireland are very, very few. Everyone else in the whole football world thinks he has not done a good job. You can't tell me that you actually want to look when you see that card going up on draft day. If you guys are honest, you know you're worry as to who he's going to draft.

Ozzy rules!!
    I'm assuming that was directed towards me. Once again, I'm nutral on Ireland. Seems like the Ireland haters have this "you're either with us or against us" perception....

Jake Long over Ryan was a terrible pick, I can addmitt that now. The point I'm trying to make is, at least Ireland didn't make a bad situation worse with Long by Extending him to a Joe Thomas like contract... yet at least, and if he does you may just be fitting me for a new "I hate Ireland" club Jacket.

As far as Ireland's draft picks the last two years (after he jumped of the Tuna's coat tails) have been decent, not great but not terrible... Last year being his best, a nice mix of skilled positions, even the most important position in football with out 1st and upfront guys, and I'm sure Philbin had a lot to do with that too. i expect the same if not better this year especially with that additional 2nd rounder to use.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Omen View Post

this thread was an interesting read... particullarly reply #5

http://www.finheaven.com/show...ke+Long+Extend
    I find it hilarious that my post caused you to dig through years worth of threads to dig one up where i said we need to lock up Jake Long.

Guess what, i still believe it. I still believe we need to resign him. Ive been relatively vocal about it on here. Doesnt change the fact that a good majority(i.e. "everyone") of this forum wants him to leave.

And it doesnt change the fact that our general manager should have had even a miniscule of foresight and looked beyond the length of a rookie contract when deciding who to take with the first overall pick. If im wrong and Jake Long isnt worth a long term contract, our general manager has failed. You can attempt to spin it into "everyone should be relieved we didnt resign him last offseason!" but Jake Long didnt appear on this roster because of a magic space wizard. He was drafted. First overall. And your happy about the first overall pick not being on this roster in his 6th year. While you consider that a "lucky" triumph, i personally consider it a failure.
    "Ignorance is not an excuse" were the words Goodell used when describing why those involved in the Saints bounty scandal would not avoid punishment.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ons-unanswered
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My stance on Jake Long has always been that I don't really care what we do with him, I'm sure Ireland had a long term plan for Long but that long term plan had better not been to simply let Long play out his contract and bid him good'day. If that was his plan then once again Ireland is a putz.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Pay the man!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pennyslvania
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Don't forget he locked Big Paul up for next to nothing last year. I know he franchised him the year before but nonetheless, he gets praise for that contract as well.

Good news, if Ireland ****s up both he and Philbin will be collecting unemployment next season. And then we get to start all ****ing over again.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by houtz View Post
    Don't forget he locked Big Paul up for next to nothing last year. I know he franchised him the year before but nonetheless, he gets praise for that contract as well.

Good news, if Ireland ****s up both he and Philbin will be collecting unemployment next season. And then we get to start all ****ing over again.
    Yep, I think Philbin could have survived the Ireland stench if he was let go this year, next year it might be 50/50 and beyond that it'll probably be a total do over.
    Quote Quote