Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Draft defense, sign offensive free agents?

1. -1
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Draft defense, sign offensive free agents?

The idea of drafting offensive playmakers like Allen and Eifert, and OLinemen like Matthews, Lewan, and Wormack is tempting. Gotta get Tannehill more weapons and keep him from getting pressured.

But the thought of drafting top notch defensive players to plug the holes we have might be the way to go. Go heavy on defense in this draft, and use free agency to help our offense (Greg Jennings, an upgrade over Fasano, strengthen our OLine). And use next year's draft to plug the remaining holes we have on offense.

Drafting the best pass rusher at 12, and selecting the best DB's in the proceeding rounds could make us a superior defensive team.

As Philbin pointed out, we weren't forcing enough turnovers. This is an area that we can get better at through this draft.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think the best GM's draft according to the talent on the board while also addressing needs.

Too many outstanding WR's. I can see us addressing TE in FA. WR - for my money - happens to be the best value position in the draft in rounds 2-4 (assuming there's not a some ridiculous run on them). WR also happens to be our biggest need. That says to me that you should at least draft one WR somewhere in the first two rounds. I'd prefer to draft two.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Its not that I want to exclude drafting offensive players. Grabbing a good WR in the 2nd or 3rd would benefit us, and if a good TE falls in the later rounds, we should consider him. Just going heavy on defense and grabbing guys who can help take our defense to an elite level is what I'm interested in.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That makes sense since the strength of the draft at the top is defensive players. We probably won't be able to fill all of our needs this offseason, but if we can find an elite pass rusher, several good wide receivers and help in the secondary that has to be the focus.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If we can grab a 10+ sack guy, a corner who forces QB's to throw to the other side of the field, and a safety who can complement Reshad Jones, that should help plug enough holes to really boost us to the elite level, I would think. Then hopefully we can add free agents who will shore up our offensive needs to tske care of that side of the ball. I'm sure we're going to make a play for one of the top WR's (Jennings, Bowe, Wallace, etc), and we'll look at bringing in OLinemen (with or without Jake Long in the mix), as well as upgrading our TE position. If we solidify our defense this year and cover up most of our holes and become one the very best in the league, we can focus on drafting offense next year.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I guess for next year, I would rather be elite on one side of the field, rather than just solid on both sides.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Thats what I had in mind
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Although $48M+ in cap space and all pur picks will go a long way in improving the team, the reality is that this is a multiyear rebuilding process. We must go BPA and see where we can move up and down like Belicheck used to do. I'd love it if some team offered up a 2014 1st rounder for our later 2nd rounder.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Central iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Dolphin Fan View Post
    That makes sense since the strength of the draft at the top is defensive players. We probably won't be able to fill all of our needs this offseason, but if we can find an elite pass rusher, several good wide receivers and help in the secondary that has to be the focus.

BINGO BUDDY... amen to that.

everybody seems to be under the impression that this one draft sets us over the top. I think we are still a couple years away from being perennial playoff contenders...now, could we sneak into the playoffs next year... i suppose...

but I think it's a couple of years, before we are consistenly, year in and year out, expecting to make the playoffs.

I don't see any reason we can't pretty much split this draft in half as far as offense and defense go...

Virtually every mock I have done, and I've done quite a few just to see how different it could play out... I can find ways to come up with almost a perfect 50/50 split in addressing needs on O and on D, and taking some damn good players to boot.
    Quote Quote