Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Greg Jennings be this year's Matt Flynn?

1. -11
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    Philbin and Ireland wanted Flynn in Miami, no doubt about. If they thought he was a must have franchise quarterback in their mind, they would have offered him more than what they did. I don't think they were ever planning on just handing him the starting job if he signed in Miami, he was going to have to compete. It is very likely in my opinion that Tannehill was still going to be drafted even if Flynn signed. Basically Flynn would have played the veteran competition that Garrard ended up being.

The Seahawks were ready to take Tannehill at #12 if he fell to them. Pete Carroll was reportedly even "giggling like a school girl" at the idea of of drafting Tannehill. So even after signing Flynn, Seattle was looking to draft a quarterback early in the draft, and the ended up doing so with Wilson. Doesn't seem to me like Seattle was all the sold on him being the long term answer.
    I have to give Ireland credit for staying away from Flynn.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Pay the man!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pennyslvania
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Wallace > Jennings.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Chest Rockwell is my hero

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dirty Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nope, they didnt. If they wanted him he would be in Miami, not Seattle. Philbin KNEW that Flynn was not worth the money that he wanted, which Seattle gave him. He was not wanted in Miami by Philbin or Ireland. Not sure why people do not understand this. Flynn was the MOST overrated FA last year and he accomplished close to nothing to warrant he was a franchise QB, while in GB. They also knew Moore was a better QB than Flynn and he is. Philbin and Ireland made the right decision by passing on Flynn.. No doubt about it.
    Philbin and Ireland wanted Flynn in Miami, no doubt about. If they thought he was a must have franchise quarterback in their mind, they would have offered him more than what they did. I don't think they were ever planning on just handing him the starting job if he signed in Miami, he was going to have to compete. It is very likely in my opinion that Tannehill was still going to be drafted even if Flynn signed. Basically Flynn would have played the veteran competition that Garrard ended up being.

The Seahawks were ready to take Tannehill at #12 if he fell to them. Pete Carroll was reportedly even "giggling like a school girl" at the idea of of drafting Tannehill. So even after signing Flynn, Seattle was looking to draft a quarterback early in the draft, and the ended up doing so with Wilson. Doesn't seem to me like Seattle was all the sold on him being the long term answer.
    I believe any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle...Victorious

Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Avoid the 'Noid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The premise of this question is flawed.

One is a proven NFL commodity, the other wasn't.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

The Seahawks regime knew they were in a must win season. If they had gone through a third losing season in a row the owner could have cleaned house. That front office has always been proactive when trying to find a quarterback(Charlie Whitehunt, Tavaris Jackson) and got even more aggressive this past offseason.

I dont doubt they they liked Tannehill. But that doesnt mean they wouldnt have also drafted Wilson. The Colts and Redskins drafted quarterbacks with the first and second overall pick but still identified Wilson as someone to draft(Redskins would keep with that theme and draft Kirk Cousins). Should we assume that the Colts and Redskins werent sold on Luck and RG3 simply because they were looking at other prospects?

Seahawks understand that you cant go wrong loading up on that position. The days of "having 2 means having 0" are gone. Teams like the Eagles have shown you can buy low and sell high. Seattle identified talented players at the most important position on the field and went after them hard. They got 2 out of their 3 apparent prospects. Carroll allowed an open competition(they also told Flynn he wouldnt be handed the starting job and would have to compete) and the borderline phenom player won it. Thats not an indication of Flynn being awful and having to be stashed on the bench, thats an indication of just how good Wilson is.

At the end of the day, it comes down to this: Miami wanted Flynn and couldnt sign him. To say Miami didnt want him enough and use Flynn losing a competition as validation that our front office made the right choice revisionist history.
    "Ignorance is not an excuse" were the words Goodell used when describing why those involved in the Saints bounty scandal would not avoid punishment.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ons-unanswered
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dolpns13 View Post
    Nope, they didnt. If they wanted him he would be in Miami, not Seattle. Philbin KNEW that Flynn was not worth the money that he wanted, which Seattle gave him. He was not wanted in Miami by Philbin or Ireland. Not sure why people do not understand this. Flynn was the MOST overrated FA last year and he accomplished close to nothing to warrant he was a franchise QB, while in GB. They also knew Moore was a better QB than Flynn and he is. Philbin and Ireland made the right decision by passing on Flynn.. No doubt about it.
    Flynn has agreed to a three-year deal with the Seattle Seahawks, according to Sports Illustrated and ESPN.

The Dolphins?

They're visiting with Alex Smith. They have another visit set up tomorrow with David Garrard.

How do you feel about that one?

I'm sure the Dolphins will eventually portray this as having a plan (yeah, right) and sticking to that plan of not overspending for any player (including a QB). I'm sure they'll eventually get the message out that Flynn was a nice but not great option.

Sorry, but some facts simply get in the way. For example, someone else apparently believes Flynn is worth a good but not great contract. Seattle is paying approximately $8 million per season -- probably less when the actual numbers come in -- and that's not exactly breaking the bank for a starting QB. Even the $10 million signing bonus is modest for a QB. All indications are the Dolphins thought Flynn to be that potential starter but still couldn't pay him that?

Well then, why did the personnel and offensive staff spend nearly 40 hours of total tape time studying this guy, a figure I was told by a source was conservative? Otherwise, why would coach Joe Philbin be calling him throughout the free agency process to make sure Flynn knew he was a major Miami target? Otherwise why did the Dolphins immediately pivot to Flynn once they knew they'd been eliminated from the Manning derby? Otherwise why did they offer the kid a contract?

Something went horribly wrong here. I was told three days ago Flynn was going to be Miami's guy. I was told it would take a significant screw up to fail to get him in a Dolphins uniform because the club believed he could win the starting job and Flynn liked the idea of playing for Philbin.

So what changed? What went wrong?

Obviously something.
    Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolph...#storylink=cpy
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Ground and Pound

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!RadioactiveHalo Legendary1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    I'm pretty sure knowing Ireland contract runs out next year and id he doesn't produce results he's out so why would he not use FA? No where have I heard Philben won't use FA even though that will be Ireland's job not philben, and one of them is on a seat that's very hot.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Chest Rockwell is my hero

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dirty Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Armondo is one of the most discredited reporters in Miami Dolphins history and youre going to use him as an example that Miami did want Flynn. Yeah, something went wrong, Flynn sucks... Philbin knew Flynn sucked and didnt want him as our starting QB. Flynn was only successful in 2 games against the worst defenses in the league. He sucks which was proven this year. I knew it, Philbin knew it, many Dolfans knew it and now Seattle knows it.. Unfortunately for them they are stuck with him.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    My head's on Fire!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Panhandle, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
    Joe Philbin does not have time to build through the draft. He needs to expedite his program by bringing in a few FA's.
    Especially ones who can and willingly join the program. Good locker room guys that buy his system.
    Dick Butkus: "I wouldn't ever set out to hurt anyone deliberately unless it was, you know, important like a league game or something."
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Its different because a. Matt Flynn was unproven and b. We only needed 1 quarterback and we were pretty sure we had tannehill at the 8th slot. On the other hand, we dont need only one WR. We need a few more pass catchers.
    Quote Quote