Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Could Greg Jennings be this year's Matt Flynn?

1. -21
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dolpns13 View Post
    Armondo is one of the most discredited reporters in Miami Dolphins history and youre going to use him as an example that Miami did want Flynn. Yeah, something went wrong, Flynn sucks... Philbin knew Flynn sucked and didnt want him as our starting QB. Flynn was only successful in 2 games against the worst defenses in the league. He sucks which was proven this year. I knew it, Philbin knew it, many Dolfans knew it and now Seattle knows it.. Unfortunately for them they are stuck with him.

So, a report comes out that you dont like and its time to kill the messenger! Sounds about right. I assume you ignored the previous article i linked where Philbin publically stated he went after Flynn hard, correct?

Philbin, the Dolphins head coach who spent the last four years coaching Flynn in Green Bay, was asked by a reporter today why he didnít pursue Flynn as aggressively as many people thought they would. And Philbin said people who think the Dolphins didnít pursue Flynn aggressively are wrong.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...es-in-seattle/

Time to insult Profootballtalk for...ugh...reporting what Philbin said in person....?
    Quote Originally Posted by finfan54 View Post
    its all right, Im a rice dick apparently.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Philbin and Ireland did want Flynn, they wouldn't have offered a contract if they didn't. They appeared to like Flynn, they just weren't 100% in love with him. I don't think they ever really saw him as a guy they give the keys to the franchise for the next decade. If they really thought that, he would have been offered a contract worth $10 million+ a season. Instead he was offered a modest contract to come to the team. He was going to have to compete for the job, though he probably would have been slightly favored to be the starter.

Outside chasing Manning, I think it is pretty obvious the plan was to sign a veteran and draft a quarterback. I think Tannehill was always part of the plan, and that even includes if Manning chose Miami. The Dolphins were always going to draft Tannehill. With Flynn, he was going to have to compete with Moore and Tannehill. Just like Garrard had to compete with Moore and Tannehill. If Flynn would have signed, he probably would have started week one. If Garrard didn't get hurt, he also probably would have started week one. Tannehill always seemed to be the "quarterback of the future" he just ended up progressing faster than anyone thought and the Garrard injury opened the door for him.

They wanted Flynn on the roster, I just don't think they saw him as a must have and someone they needed to do everything to get him. If Flynn signed, he probably would be riding the bench in 2013 with Tannehill starting. A quarterback like that certainly is not worth $8 million a year.

Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post

So, a report comes out that you dont like and its time to kill the messenger! Sounds about right. I assume you ignored the previous article i linked where Philbin publically stated he went after Flynn hard, correct?

Time to insult Profootballtalk for...ugh...reporting what Philbin said in person....?
    Why didnt they provide philbins quote so we can see what he actually said?
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Chest Rockwell is my hero

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dirty Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No, a report comes out from a bad reporter that I dont trust.. I didnt read the previous article.. Dont have time to read every single article you post. Coachspeak means nothing to me. Do you expect him to come out and say what he thinks, which I believe is that Flynn wasnt good enough to be our QB... Just be glad Philbin knew Flynn wouldnt be a successful QB and didnt want him in Miami... Regardless of coachspeak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post

I believe any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle...Victorious

Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    Philbin and Ireland did want Flynn, they wouldn't have offered a contract if they didn't. They appeared to like Flynn, they just weren't 100% in love with him. I don't think they ever really saw him as a guy they give the keys to the franchise for the next decade. If they really thought that, he would have been offered a contract worth $10 million+ a season. Instead he was offered a modest contract to come to the team. He was going to have to compete for the job, though he probably would have been slightly favored to be the starter.

Outside chasing Manning, I think it is pretty obvious the plan was to sign a veteran and draft a quarterback. I think Tannehill was always part of the plan, and that even includes if Manning chose Miami. The Dolphins were always going to draft Tannehill. With Flynn, he was going to have to compete with Moore and Tannehill. Just like Garrard had to compete with Moore and Tannehill. If Flynn would have signed, he probably would have started week one. If Garrard didn't get hurt, he also probably would have started week one. Tannehill always seemed to be the "quarterback of the future" he just ended up progressing faster than anyone thought and the Garrard injury opened the door for him.

They wanted Flynn on the roster, I just don't think they saw him as a must have and someone they needed to do everything to get him. If Flynn signed, he probably would be riding the bench in 2013 with Tannehill starting. A quarterback like that certainly is not worth $8 million a year.
    I think it came down to tannehill vs flynn. Since tannehill has the higher upside and cost millions less, it was a no brainer. Fans like quarterbacks more that were drafted by the team.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Chest Rockwell is my hero

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dirty Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Doubt it. They offered him what he was worth and probably knew that Seattle would outbid them. If so, smart move by Ireland. If not, Ireland is just as stupid as most think he is. Regardless there is nothing anyone can say that will make me believe they actually wanted him.. As stated earlier, just be happy they were right and did not sign or outbid Seattle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post

Quote Quote  

7. -27
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Doubt it. They offered him what he was worth and probably knew that Seattle would outbid them. If so, smart move by Ireland. If not, Ireland is just as stupid as most think he is. Regardless there is nothing anyone can say that will make me believe they actually wanted him.. As stated earlier, just be happy they were right and did not sign or outbid Seattle.
    I do think they were outbid, and I don't think they saw it as devastating. They offered him what they thought a veteran competiting for a starting job was worth. They put a price on him and if they were outbid, I don't think they lost any sleep over it. Tannehill was always the "future" but they wanted a veteran to compete with Moore for the 2012 season. The reason they targeted Flynn right away was because of the familiarity with Philbin and the west coast offense. Once Flynn was out of the picture, Alex Smith and David Garrard were next in line and they went with Garrard. I don't think Miami ever intended to give Flynn a big contract, simply because they were not sold on him being the long term answer.

In hindsight, I am glad they didn't view Flynn as the answer because Tannehill is developing nicely and Moore is a very good #2. Moore might not be back in 2013, but I like the idea of Devlin at #2 for just over $500,000 than Flynn at $5-6 million.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No, a report comes out from a bad reporter that I dont trust.. I didnt read the previous article.. Dont have time to read every single article you post. Coachspeak means nothing to me. Do you expect him to come out and say what he thinks, which I believe is that Flynn wasnt good enough to be our QB...Just be glad Philbin knew Flynn wouldnt be a successful QB and didnt want him in Miami... Regardless of coachspeak.
    So basically: its not true because you dont want it to be true.

Inside sources admit they scouted Flynn over a long period of time and came away sold on him, Flynn and Miami admit we offered him a contract, and Philbin himself publically stated he wanted him on this team. But according to you, none of that is true. Personally, i believe "coach speak" when there is a plethora of evidence supporting what the coach says.

Please, show me where Philbin said he didnt want Flynn on this roster. Keep in mind, saying "he would be here if we wanted him" is not evidence.

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DudeleBroski View Post
    Why didnt they provide philbins quote so we can see what he actually said?
    They did.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i think we were outbid but honestly the upside lies in ryan tannehill...there's no doubt his upside is higher than matt flynns...
    Last edited by hooshoops; 01-06-2013 at 12:15 AM.
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote