Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mando Article on Hartline

1. -11
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St Augustine Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    would love to resign Hartline pickup Jennings and Keller in F.A. and pickup Patterson with the first pick in the second round That would be my dream but dont know how realistic this would be
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Port st. lucie
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Last 48 games: 3-100 yd games, 3TDs. Ireland needs to just move on from Hartline. Are we so used to being so bad that Hartline is a must keep??? Sign a legit #1 and draft a good WR within the first 3 picks. Kennan Allen, Justin Hunter, Cordarelle Patterson, Tavon Austin, Robert Woods, DeAndre Hopkins, and Even Ryan Swope, all have way may upside than Hartline!!! Use the Hartline money on DE Michael Johnson or Dustin Keller or anyone that can change the outcome of a game!!!
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yeah if we r walking in with Hartline as our #1 again next year that would be pathetic. We have to get wallace or jennings and atleast 1 other guy in the first 2 rounds. Hartline if a fine #3 but not a 1 or 2. We need playmakers and hartline isnt one. If we r going to spend 3-5 mil a year on him i would rather give that $ to a TE like Cook or Keller and Draft 2 WRs early and roll that way.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Fox View Post
    Put it this way...I am not giving up on the 2013 season just because the Fins do not land Mike Wallace or Greg Jennings. The way many are talking around here, there will be doom and gloom if these guys are not picked up. I just do not see it that way.

I am interested in them...YES! However, I am willing to pivot to other ideas if they are not landed.
    I completely disagree with you. If we don't land one of Jennings Wallace or Bowe, with all the cap space we have, I will deem Ireland a failure. I refuse to support a rookie being our number 1 next year with hartline on the other side, that simply is not enough for me. We need one of those 3.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiNative0722 View Post
    I completely disagree with you. If we don't land one of Jennings Wallace or Bowe, with all the cap space we have, I will deem Ireland a failure. I refuse to support a rookie being our number 1 next year with hartline on the other side, that simply is not enough for me. We need one of those 3.
    What if Jennings, Wallace, and Bowe don't want to play for Miami, though? It's one thing if the team chooses not to top any other offer they get but it's not on Ireland if the player decides they want no part of the comedy of errors this franchise has been for a long time.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    There is not enough discussion about what type of receivers would benefit Ryan Tannehill the most and how to diversify the weaponry so we are harder to defend.

For example, I have gone back and forth about Mike Wallace. I love his speed element and he is game changer. However, I am not sure RT connects enough on the deep ball to warrant the big money. Again, I am wavering back and forth. I also waver on Jennings. I do not like the age, but I love that he is a Philbin guy and will know the O before he gets to Davie. I am trying to sort these issues out.

However, I DO think an athletic TE would allow RT to take his game to the next level. I DO think having a reliable target he is used to like Brian Hartline is important. I think the team can find vertical threats in this year's draft beyond round one.

Anyways, many (including Mando) are playing fantasy football and not discussing what the BEST fits are to the team on and off the field
    Thanks for the link Hayden.

Look at it logically. The most likely FA that would want to come here is Greg Jennings, not Wallace. Wallace wants a HUGE payday, and we're likely to be outbid. Furthermore, Wallace plays a different style than we do and he isn't taking any discounts to come here. He's not a great route-runner and often needs time to get open. We don't have a scrambling extend-the-play QB like Pittsburgh does, and we have an offensive system that places a very high priority on things like precise route running and quick rythem passing. All this talk about Wallace coming here seems like folly to me, but if he did, it would have to be for a huge chunk of our salary cap. So to me, buy a lottery ticket, the odds are almost as bad as Wallace coming here, but the rewards are even higher.

Greg Jennings, on the other hand, is tailor made for our system, excels at what we place a high premium on, extremely quick to get open, and has fantastic hands. He fits Tannehill like a glove. But, if we bring in Jennings, expect to see him in the slot where he was used by Philbin in Green Bay. That lets him run the underneath stuff and produce nasty good RAC, get 1v1 coverage by a completely overmatched DB, and be in the middle of the field where he is always in Tannehill's field of vision. So, if we bring in Jennings, we'll likely bring in a rookie burner to play the X position. Hartline then stays at the same spot but either Jennings or Hartline gets single-coverage and our passing game comes alive. This is predicated on having a true deep threat rookie playing the X to keep a safety out of the box opening up the running game and leaving Tannehill a decent single-coverered option. IMHO, Jennings makes perfect sense and I support him coming here. I can also see why Hartline likes it.

If we bring in Wallace, they'll simply double-cover him every play, we'll be stuck with small/slow Bess as the fulcrum underneath like our floundering passing attack has had for years. Victor Cruz is a slot guy, Randall Cobb is a slot guy, Welker is a slot guy, and those guys provide explosive plays and TD's. Bess does not. Jennings is a slot guy who makes our passing game explosive. I'd rather bring in Jennings and draft a deep threat like Cordarrelle Patterson or Markus Wheaton to learn from Jennings, who can and will teach our young WR's how to become good in this offense.

As for Hartline, I hope we re-sign him ... he's proven great at working the sidelines, has decent size, speed, hands, routes and good chemistry with Hartline. All this talk about Wallace reminds me of the talk about Peyton ... and I think we probably had a better chance at landing Peyton even though that was a non-starter since his system is different than the one Philbin's entire coaching staff wants to run and has run.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    “It was, I would say, something I would have thought about last year,” Hartline said of Miami’s offer. “Midway through this year, where my situation was at, it just didn’t match up. It wasn’t the worst thing in the world but it was outdated, I would say.”
    He’s being kind. Hartline actually was initially upset with the offer and had to be talked off a proverbial ledge by agent Drew Rosenhaus.

Hartline has a career day and Ireland decides thats the best time to throw out an insulting offer.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

However, I DO think an athletic TE would allow RT to take his game to the next level. I DO think having a reliable target he is used to like Brian Hartline is important. I think the team can find vertical threats in this year's draft beyond round one.
    I agree with you on this, and I recall from commentary from Philbin he likes the 12 Formation with 2 TE's... This is where Eifert and Ertz come into the picture in the low first, high 2nd. Now, question is, do we have the other TE already on the roster or do we need to draft another...

The thing with the 12 formation, you need both TE's to be at least, proficient in blocking. I don't see this yet with Clay and not at all with Egnew. Fasano is a good guy to have around if you're bringing along young un's.

In which case, I'd pick up a 2nd TE in round 3/4. The two I'd like would be Reed from Florida [Don't know if he has declared yet] and the other TE from Standford, Toilolo... strong blocker at the point of attack, athletic and a massive red zone target at 6'8". And with any of these 4 TE's, you can split them out wide and take advantage of match ups against CB's.

Immediately with 2 seam targets like an Eifert and Toilolo, it would certainly keep the safeties out of the box and force the OLB's to keep a watchful eye on them also... which loosens things up in the running game. Additionally, should give you more single coverage outside.

Picking up a 'Philbin Guy' like a Jennings to lead the group, and possibly 2 young picks in the 2nd like a Bailey and a Wheaton who would bring an element of dynamism a la Cobb and Jones for Green Bay, would completely change the face of this offense.
    Pat
    Offensive Coordinator
    www.londonblitz.com
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    At the end of the day...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91Tannehill 17Dolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiNative0722 View Post
    1) I already deem Ireland a failure.
    2) My point was I was not throwing in the towel if we do not land Jennings or Wallace. I am not interested in Bowe anyways.
    3) There many ways to help the O without signing Wallace and Jennings.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Finheaven QB

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The most encouraging thing about the article is not Mando's Madden13 fantasy of signing both Wallace and Jennings. What I like is Hartline's attitude toward the game. Quotes like "not taking his foot off the gas" and "I'm not wired that way" (as far as pulling back after a big payday.) The guy clearly works hard and clearly wants to be a Dolphins. I want the contract to be fair. There is a risk for overpaying. As much as I like Hartline's work ethic, he hasn't produced a lot where it counts the most: the end zone. That's certainly a concern. Hopefully, with a play maker opposite him, it will open things up a little more for him as well.

SCall13, Jr.
    Quote Quote