Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: DE Margus Hunt

1. -1
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Portland
    Thanks / No Thanks

DE Margus Hunt

All I have to say is WHOA!!!! This guy is going to be an elite power rusher. He's 6'8" 280LBS. I don't know how I'm just hearing about this guy. Could be a steal!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgNUN-Sqj_Y
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXIV8LYURsc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Strike 1: He played at SMU and not against the best competition
    Strike 2: He has been playing football for a short time having been a Track and Field athlete previously.
    Strike 3: At 6'8" his pad level is not consistent and sometimes he is easily controlled by an OL that gets underneath him.
    Strike 4: A lack of pass rush moves.

Those are the negatives. Here are the postives:
    1. He clocked in at 4.7 before he ever stepped on to a football field
    2. His athletic abilty
    3. He has an enormous wing span - 82 in.
    4. I do not think he has ever been injuired

The guy is a freak athlete and that potential will probably get him drafted in the first 3 rds., but just be aware of the time in the sport and I wonder if he is really committed to it. But if all the concerns turn out to not be and he is coachable so can learn more of the aspects of the position, the sky is the limit.
    Last edited by DKphin; 01-06-2013 at 08:24 AM.
    "It happens all the time," Taylor said. "It's not an exact science and personnel guys aren't the end-all, be-all. " Jason Taylor,2011
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Holy cow just watched a few highlights of this guy, he is JJ Watts 2.0. We need to get this guy in a few years he will be special.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    old pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    windermere
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DKphin View Post
    Strike 2: He has been playing football for a short time having been a Track and Field athlete previously.
    Strike 3: At 6'8" his pad level is not consistent and sometimes he is easily controlled by an OL that gets underneath him.

Those are the negatives. Here are the postives:
    1. He clocked in at 4.7 before he ever stepped on to a football field
    2. His athletic abilty
    3. He has an enormous wing span - 82 in.
    4. I do not think he has ever been injuired

The guy is a freak athlete and that potential will probably get him drafted in the first 3 rds., but just be aware of the time in the sport and I wonder if he is really committed to it. But if all the concerns turn out to not be and he is coachable so can learn more of the aspects of the position, the sky is the limit.
    You just described JPP. There were the same concerns leading up to the combine. Then the backflip video went viral and boom...he's a top pick of the Giants.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=V4-1e6Faglw
    If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    PSL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Maybe it's just his height, but he reminds me of Calais Campbell. Probably a little faster in the open field, but similarly quick off the ball.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Not Even Lazor Can Save Us

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Can also rep 500 pounds on the bench-- even stronger legs. He's going to make Donatri Poe look like a marshmallow at the combine.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Portland
    Thanks / No Thanks

DE Margus Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by DKphin View Post
    Playing for SMU definitely kept him from playing against top flight competition consistently. But check out the game against Texas A&M. You won't find a better tandem of Tackles in FBS.

He doesn't show a lot of moves but he does a nice job of faking the outside rush and slipping inside. He also does a good job getting skinny for a guy his size.

His height could be an issue against the run. But if he can use those long arms correctly he could become a great run stopper as well
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    he hits the gap quick,gets position very well. if he doesnt get hurt much and good character, why not?
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This guy will be the best DE from this draft class. He will be great against the pass right away and in a few years will be equally great against the run. He has the most upside of any true DE in the draft and will start skyrocketing up the boards.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think getting underneath and/or the dip-and-bend to get around the blocker are a little overrated. If you have a guy who can use long arms to keep blockers off him and the strength to shed those guys on the way though, there's really not much you can do to protect yourself from that.

In other words, if I've got a choice between a guy with a load of different moves but who has trouble shedding blocks and a guy with great hands and violence at the point of contact, but a more limited arsenal of moves, I take the second guy.

With Hunt though, I don't see great play-reading ability or great run coverage, which isn't surprising given how long he's been playing. So he's not going to blow up the NFL in his first year or anything, but he could be a great medium term pick. Watching the TAMU clip, he was commanding double teams the whole time against one of the top college O-lines. He might not post the wildest stats, but he could create the attention that allowed Wake and others terrorise.

His pass/kick blocking ability is great. I'd almost like to see him read the 3-step drop and not even bother rushing those snaps - just get those hands up and be a nightmare in the throwing lane.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote