Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Jeff's CFL "fool's gold" free agents

1. -41
    ihaveprettyfeet

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary Alberta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy685 View Post
    Also as a Canadian (who now lives back in Toronto) you're hilariously wrong. There are always 1 or 2 guys who blow up like Wake did and amount to jack ****. If it was such a no brainer why weren't teams jumping at signing Wake? Explain that to me.

Stop pretending you are speaking with any sort of authority on this subject. Jeff Ireland is doing his job by leaving NO stone unturned. If he didn't sign a bunch of FAs from the CFL youd probably be blasting him for not BEING THOROUGH and then we'd be in a perpetual cycle of you complaining about anything and everything the man does.
    BTW smart guy - Name of one CFL Defender who was an MVP candidate?
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    ihaveprettyfeet

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary Alberta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J Tes View Post
    What did I misquote you on? I'll answer for you. Nothing. You have cried for a few days now about Ireland bringing in CFL guys for tryouts and asked why he's wasting his time with it. Now that the board hasn't jumped on your failed attempt to start another Ireland bashing thread you've changed it to whining about his draft. If you wanted to bash Ireland find one of the other many threads to do so. You thought you found another things to complain about, that everyone else would jump on but you failed. Stop while you're behind

I never said Ireland promised antything to these players - he is doing nothing (with his scouts with the CFL) and should stick to the draft for once - where he is getting owned
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    ihaveprettyfeet

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary Alberta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    http://www.argonauts.ca/roster/show/id/3155

http://www.cfl.ca/roster/show/id/3753

Spencer Watt

Receiving
    Name Year Team No. Yards Avg Long TD
    WATT, S 2010 TOR 14 201 14.4 50 2
    WATT, S 2011 TOR 29 345 11.9 48 1
    WATT, S 2012 TOR 34 424 12.5 49 0
    Career Total 77 970 12.6 50 3

Chad Owens
    Receiving

OWENS, C 2009 MTL 1 10 10.0 10 0
    OWENS, C 2010 TOR 46 576 12.5 63 3
    OWENS, C 2011 TOR 70 722 10.3 48 0
    OWENS, C 2012 TOR 94 1,328 14.1 60 6
    Career Total 211 2,636 12.5 63 9
    Sorting

Kick Returns

OWENS, C 2009 MTL 2 80 40.0 43 0
    OWENS, C 2010 TOR 53 1,216 22.9 57 0
    OWENS, C 2011 TOR 69 1,750 25.4 91 1
    OWENS, C 2012 TOR 71 1,588 22.4 66 0
    Career Total 195 4634 23.8 91 1

Sorting

Punt Returns

OWENS, C 2009 MTL 3 10 3.3 0 0
    OWENS, C 2010 TOR 84 1,060 12.6 0 2
    OWENS, C 2011 TOR 68 754 11.1 0 1
    OWENS, C 2012 TOR 77 828 10.8 0 0
    Career Total 232 2652 11.4 0 3

Quote Quote  

4. -44
    next generation

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rottenchester
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rev kev View Post
    I never said Ireland promised antything to these players - he is doing nothing (with his scouts with the CFL) and should stick to the draft for once - where he is getting owned
    So again, I ask you what I misquoted you on? I never said you said that, just that the tantrum you have been having you would think that he did sign them and handed them a starting job. I'll make it easier on you- you're massively overreacting to something that is common practice.
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rev, I usually agree with a lot of what you say, but I'm having a hard time with this one. Yes, a couple of the recent CFL guys we've brought in are questionable, but I don't know that means the whole CFL scouting thing is a waste of time.

I agree that some of the CFL recruits we've brought in are pure garbage, and I have no idea what we're thinking when we fly them in. Spencer Watt and Lee Robinson are the most recent examples, but I can recall guys like Mark Restelli being brought in who weren't much good either. I watch these guys in the CFL and there's nothing that says "NFL quality" in any of them, so I scratch my head when we bring them in.

Having said that, there are some quality acorns and backups to be found in the CFL (e.g. Wake, Thigpen, Browner, Jerrell Freeman, Tom Johnson, Andrew Hawkins, Garrett McIntyre, etc.), and I have no problem with bringing in someone like Brian Simmons for a tryout because he is a quality football player who I think has a chance of making the team and helping us. And if it takes three misses to get one hit, then maybe that's an ok ratio - one that would be just as good as you'd do with NCAA/UFA scouting. To me that's the indicator - as long as we're getting a decent ratio of hits to misses, whether it be CFL or NCAA of FA scouting, then we're probably doing a decent job with our quality of scouting and with the amount of time we're spending in each area. If not (and bringing guys like Spencer Watt in are not going to help that ratio), then we've definitely got a problem.
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Donut Enthusiast

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jacksonville
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jesus...he has found more CFL talent than anyone else....and we are now bagging on him for that. I am not a huge Ireland fan, but give him credit. He got 1 viable stud and 1 explosive special teamer out of it.
    Watch me jiggle all the way to the DWTS finals!

Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rev kev View Post
    I am no authority - proof is in the pudding - how long is he are you going to live off the Wake signing? No stone unturned? How about work the draft and get some players worth their weight
    I'll get him to agree to that when you agree to write in English, and not post 5 posts in a row. Condense it down to ONE long post. Deal?

Also I'm not going to bother debating/discussing *anything* with someone who immediately enters the discussion with a condescending remark and mockingly calling someone "smart guy".

John Chick, I suppose? Nobody took that guy seriously and I remember him being a big time CFL defensive end. Same path as Cameron Wake, as well. Fact of the matter is, you simply had no assurances that Wake would be big in the NFL. The talent gap is SO large that you can't take that to heart. I remember Wake's sack numbers being insane. Like ridiculously insane. But part time pass rusher, undersized, at his mid to late 20s already? Not many teams would go after him unless they were absolutely positively sure. Ireland was.

And you can't casually hand wave the suggestion of Cameron Wake and Marcus Thigpen when you are arguing the same point. We are arguing what is known as a counter point. If you are sitting there telling me that Jeff Ireland can't hang his hat on discovering Cam Wake and recognizing his ability when people question why he spends so much time scouting the CFL, then you simply aren't able to be reasoned with. You're not here to discuss, you're here to preach.

And sorry, this isn't church and you're not speaking with a grain of authority. At this point we can hope that other people will join in and make this thread a worthwhile discussion, but as long as you dominate it by posting 6-7 times a page, I'd wager a guess that it won't be happening.
    Quote Quote