Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phins Pass Rush- A Closer Look

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17

Phins Pass Rush- A Closer Look

For those undecided on where a pass rusher is on our list of needs, here's some info to help decide.

Cam Wake rushed the QB 559 times last year. He had 17 sacks, 23 QB hits, and 47 QB hurries. He did this while all opposing teams completely focused on stopping him, having little regard on any other pass rusher.

Pee Wee Odrick rushed 566 times, with 6 sacks, 10 hits, and 21 hurries. I saw some of those sacks and hits caused by Wake flushing the QB to him. NOT a productive year, and not ever average.

Vernon rushed the QB 289 times, with 3 sacks, 7 hits, and 11 hurries. He was about the same as Odrick in limited play as a rookie still learning, close vs the run, and did well in coverage, also limited.

When you combine the stats of Odrick and Vernon, they look pretty good but, when you look at the number of pass rushes it took, NOT so good.

Starks rushed the QB 488 times, with 4 sacks, 11 hits, and 21 hurries. His play really fell off but, anyone who has lost their Mom could understand him not being focused.

Burnett rushed the QB 115 times, with 2 sacks, 6 hits, and 7 hurries. Not bad for an OLB, who rarely get to the QB.

Now for the very intriguing silent one, in Koa Misi. He rushed the QB 141 times, with 6 sacks, 2 hits, and 6 hurries in only 13 games. To put that in a sack perspective for 4-3 OLB's, Von Miller is in a class by himself with 19 sacks. Denver's Woodyard and Titan's Ayers were second with 7, and then there was Misi with 6. Thing is the other 3 had 300-400 more snaps to get their sacks.

This poses an interesting question for this year. JT was quoted in saying that Misi was going to be a VG pass rusher, and I am not one to ague with him. Depending on how things shake out in this off season, could could a Misi/Vernon combo be an answer at DE. while adding another OLB?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think we need to continue to draft pass rushers. You can never have too many. What pass rusher have we drafted in the last 5 years? Vernon, maybe, and he is still TBD. In a league that is all about throwing the football, we can't rely on Vernon/Misi getting better. We really should draft a DE with pass rushing skills in the early rounds this year. Our DB's would look a lot better with more consistent pressure on the QB.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    I would really like to draft Dion Jordan and Tank Carradine this year
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Dolphins had 44 sacks last year, #10 in the NFL but, to me, that is somewhat misleading.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Port st. lucie
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We need a true DE with speed and size. Michael Johnson should be our top FA target on defense. He's 6'7" 270 and has been developing into one of the better 4-3 ends in football. We could definitely use his 52 tackles and 12 sacks. Plus he turns 26 in February. I like Odrick but he is to slow against Tackles and playing out of position. He would be more productive at DT full time. I like Starks a lot but we need Playmakers and drafted Odrick to start. I'm hoping Starks will sign for a 2yr 12 million like Soliai did this year but he'll get more on the open market. I Wish him well
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Koa misi was a nice surprise last year played much better at the 4-3 olb
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Phin fan since 1970!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ireland should draft either a DE pass rusher or CB that is a baller in the first round. Turnovers and explosive plays is what is needed. Vernon can continue to rotate in at DE to spell gus until he becomes a feared plaer which he is not at this time.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhankey81701 View Post
    Koa misi was a nice surprise last year played much better at the 4-3 olb
    Agreed. Misi played more like his rookie year than last season. Have to think that if he had 3 more games, in the way he was being used in the second half, that he would have maybe 8 sacks on limited pass rushes. As we all know, he is a Beast vs the run as well.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fishbanger View Post
    Ireland should draft either a DE pass rusher or CB that is a baller in the first round. Turnovers and explosive plays is what is needed. Vernon can continue to rotate in at DE to spell gus until he becomes a feared plaer which he is not at this time.
    gotta remember though, most non-1st rounders are not expected to be all world as rookies. JT took a couple years to put up 10+ sacks.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have always thought that we should let Starks walk, sign a pass rusher and move Odrick to DT.

Cam Wake/Paul Solial/Jared Odrick/Michael Johnson
    Kevin Burnett Karlos Dansby Koa Misi

Tyrann Mathieu(could be a high reward) Chris Clemons/Rashad Jones Jonathan Banks(1st round)
    Quote Quote