Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phins Pass Rush- A Closer Look

1. -11
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Odrick is not a speed rushing DE, he is penetrating DT who gained a large percentage of his sacks and hurries while subbing in for Starks on passing downs.

Let Stark walk, move Odrick inside and draft a true DE like Mingo at #12.

THAT would be a scary front four.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Lost in the fog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Our pass rush just needs to be more consistent, which means we need more players that can consistently win one-on-one matchups (i.e., pass rush TALENT). Either it's on and we get a sack or it's completely off and our secondary gets roasted. I'd much rather have a pass rush that is consistently breathing down the QB's neck and not getting any actual sacks. If it's not consistent it's almost meaningless.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by DolphanB View Post
    Odrick is not a speed rushing DE, he is penetrating DT who gained a large percentage of his sacks and hurries while subbing in for Starks on passing downs.

Let Stark walk, move Odrick inside and draft a true DE like Mingo at #12.

THAT would be a scary front four.
    Gotta do a little research before posting. Odrick took Soliai's place, and his sacks were from DE.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Phins-Spotlight.com

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    For those undecided on where a pass rusher is on our list of needs, here's some info to help decide.

Cam Wake rushed the QB 559 times last year. He had 17 sacks, 23 QB hits, and 47 QB hurries. He did this while all opposing teams completely focused on stopping him, having little regard on any other pass rusher.

Pee Wee Odrick rushed 566 times, with 6 sacks, 10 hits, and 21 hurries. I saw some of those sacks and hits caused by Wake flushing the QB to him. NOT a productive year, and not ever average.

Vernon rushed the QB 289 times, with 3 sacks, 7 hits, and 11 hurries. He was about the same as Odrick in limited play as a rookie still learning, close vs the run, and did well in coverage, also limited.

When you combine the stats of Odrick and Vernon, they look pretty good but, when you look at the number of pass rushes it took, NOT so good.

Starks rushed the QB 488 times, with 4 sacks, 11 hits, and 21 hurries. His play really fell off but, anyone who has lost their Mom could understand him not being focused.

Burnett rushed the QB 115 times, with 2 sacks, 6 hits, and 7 hurries. Not bad for an OLB, who rarely get to the QB.

Now for the very intriguing silent one, in Koa Misi. He rushed the QB 141 times, with 6 sacks, 2 hits, and 6 hurries in only 13 games. To put that in a sack perspective for 4-3 OLB's, Von Miller is in a class by himself with 19 sacks. Denver's Woodyard and Titan's Ayers were second with 7, and then there was Misi with 6. Thing is the other 3 had 300-400 more snaps to get their sacks.

This poses an interesting question for this year. JT was quoted in saying that Misi was going to be a VG pass rusher, and I am not one to ague with him. Depending on how things shake out in this off season, could could a Misi/Vernon combo be an answer at DE. while adding another OLB?
    I'm curious why you spend so much time talking about guys that don't really rush the passer and aren't supposed to, like Burnett and Misi. Misi also had 3.5 sacks, not six.
    --
    Chris J. Nelson

About me:
    I am a production assistant for Turner Sports and I love my job. I also love the Dolphins and have been writing my own blog since 2007. I would love if you gave it a look and considered it as part of your regular Dolphins web rotation.

Visit my blog at phins-spotlight.com and follow me on twitter @phinsspotlight!
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJNelson View Post
    I'm curious why you spend so much time talking about guys that don't really rush the passer and aren't supposed to, like Burnett and Misi. Misi also had 3.5 sacks, not six.
    Yeah, those extra few minutes almost killed me, and could well have cost me drinking another half of beer. Point well taken. JK/LOL

I listed pass rushers, and those who had some success aside from the standard ones. This is what the team has done. Sorry to not consult you on what is acceptable but, I really don't care.

With 900 posts in 6 years, you seem to have a whole lot more time on your hands now. I might suggest thinking more and posting less. JMO
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Phins-Spotlight.com

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    Gotta do a little research before posting. Odrick took Soliai's place, and his sacks were from DE.
    Uh, no.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJNelson View Post
    Uh, no.
    Uh, can you be a little more vague?
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Do you have any stats about Odrick from the DT spot as opposed to DE? And for what it is worth PFF said we were the best team in the league at stopping rushes off right tackle and right end.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like the idea of Koa and Vernon both getting practice at that same outside linebacker spot in base and the 3-3-5 package while rotating in on the d line a little more than last season. They both seem like good role players to me and if one goes down the other can take his place.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i thought at least 2/3rds of odrich sacks came from the dt spot , i maybe mistaken?
    Quote Quote