Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sports Science: Greg Jennings

1. -21
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    well i'm sure wallace is gonna be a $10 mil per guy...no doubt in my mind on that...jennings likely more $8 mil guy...older less shelf life

miami needs a combo of things. at wr..however they decide to go about it so be it but get it done this offseason...a physical mismatch win wr that can go up and get the ball in the red zone...a true vertical threat that the safeties must account for...and a consistent win wr on the boundary against solid corners...they don't have any of em

it would be nice to get all that in one guy but the way things are for us i'll take it in 3 different guys if need be...just get it...
    Agree with all of this. Both Wallace and Jennings are touchdown makers, just in different ways. Wallace destroys angles and makes huge plays, while Jennings with his elite quickness and route running is better in the red zone, imo. It just sort of depends on what you want and/or need. We have so many holes on the offense the smarter choice may be to go with Jennings and use the extra cash to try and get another guy who can score touchdowns (like Jermichael Finley, who after his down year is going to be relatively cheap, compared to his astronomical talent). When I look at this offense that's the glaring need right now. Guys who score. Bess doesn't do it, Hartline doesn't, Fasano is mediocre at it, Clay underachieves, Egnew is a mystery, Thomas doesn't. Miller is a poor man's Felix Jones (yes, a poor man's).

Bush scores. And Tannehill scores. Those are the two guys we have. And it's no coincidence those are the two most physically talented guys on the offense, which goes back to an axiom of the NFL today: skill moves the ball between the 20s. But talent scores. We underachieve in the red zone because of talent.

In a perfect world I'd rather have Wallace. He's the better choice if you're looking down the road and have a plan to create an elite offense. But right now Jennings is the better choice to me because he allows you to fix more things quickly. I go back and forth on it but that's where I would stand if somebody burst in and told me I had just been named Dolphins GM.

Should be interesting to see where the rumors come down on the contract discussions for these two. That should clarify the puzzle pieces on the board a bit.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; 01-07-2013 at 04:08 PM.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Agree with all of this. Both Wallace and Jennings are touchdown makers, just in different ways. Wallace destroys angles and makes huge plays, while Jennings with his elite quickness and route running is better in the red zone, imo. It just sort of depends on what you want and/or need. We have so many holes on the offense the smarter choice may be to go with Jennings and use the extra cash to try and get another guy who can score touchdowns (like Jermichael Finley, who after his down year is going to be relatively cheap, compared to his astronomical talent). When I look at this offense that's the glaring need right now. Guys who score. Bess doesn't do it, Hartline doesn't, Fasano is mediocre at it, Clay underachieves, Egnew is a mystery, Thomas doesn't. Miller is a poor man's Felix Jones (yes, a poor man's).

Bush scores. And Tannehill scores. Those are the two guys we have. And it's no coincidence those are the two most physically talent guys on the offense, which goes back to an axiom of the NFL today: skill moves the ball between the 20s. But talent scores. We underachieve in the red zone because of talent.

In a perfect world I'd rather have Wallace. He's the better choice if you're looking down the road and have a plan to create an elite offense. But right now Jennings is the better choice to me because he allows you to fix more things quickly. I go back and forth on it but that's where I would stand if somebody burst in and told me I had just been named Dolphins GM.

Should be interesting to see where the rumors come down on the contract discussions for these two. That should clarify the puzzle pieces on the board a bit.
    fellas it's posts just like this one which is why walrus is one of the best posters on this board...love the skill moves the ball b/t the 20's but talent scores point...that couldn't be put any better...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Archibald Meatpants

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Dolphins HomerDolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    fellas it's posts just like this one which is why walrus is one of the best posters on this board...love the skill moves the ball b/t the 20's but talent scores point...that couldn't be put any better...
    its a shame he missed all the fun we had during the suck for luck threads and games last year
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc
    I post on a dolphins site, an overzealous mod didn't like me questioning his "power" and banned me for the week. been posting there since 2004 and have never been banned. I was wronged and now I don't think I will post there again and it will be their loss. .
    Quote Quote  

4. -24

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i can also really see the lamar miller felix jones comparison...i think that's just about bang on...i just hope miller proves more durable...very similar skill sets though...not sure i see the poor mans part though cause i see pretty similar tools
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Bagpipe View Post
    its a shame he missed all the fun we had during the suck for luck threads and games last year
    Trust me, he was here for it.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    people hated me over starting that thread and movement like what week 3 last year...i saw three games of awful football and said best thing that this team can do is lose...and we couldn't even get that right...start 0-7 and then win...

god don't remind me...
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Playstation Logo
Gift received at 03-18-2014, 10:36 PM from DisturbedShifty
Message: I saw the PS controller so I figured you'd like the PS logo as well.1972 Dolphins LogoPS4 ControllerMike Wallace 11Cam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post

Bush scores. And Tannehill scores. Those are the two guys we have. And it's no coincidence those are the two most physically talented guys on the offense, which goes back to an axiom of the NFL today: skill moves the ball between the 20s. But talent scores. We underachieve in the red zone because of talent.

Great post mate, really solid points. If money was no issue I would probably take Wallace, as long as he canrun the routes Joe wants to run. However in the real world I want Jennings; I think he would be better value for money, I think we run the type of offense he can flourish in and I think he can be a leader and leave a long term make upon the likes of Tannehill.

Very interesting that you mentioned Finley (someone most on this board seem very down on) bringing him in would be the sort of signing that would make me really believe in Jeff Ireland. With Joe and Sherman on the staff I really believe we could get the best out of him, the guy is stuffed full of talent. Unless we drafted someone like Ertz, then Finley would be my pick of the veteran tight ends.

Signing Jennings over Wallace leaves us a few more pennies in the kitty to strengthen other offensive potions such as tight end. I have said before that an alpha receiver is part of the solution not the solution. Look at the Lions or Bears, having a dominant receiver is great but you need an elite offense not just a receiver. Megatron cant take the Lions to the play offs.... and neither Jennings or Wallace will take us to the playoffs if we don't add further receivers, tight ends and o-linemen around them.

People around here need to realise that signing Wallace/Jennings doesn't guarantee a playoff spot next year just like not signing one of them doesn't mean we are guaranteed another losing season.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm very high on Finley this year, yes. If you don't want to spend top dollar but want a guy with recognized elite talent, you're generally left choosing between someone who's coming off a poor year (perhaps a few) but who's had top production in the past... or someone who's been sort of steady but never the elite player their talent warrants.

There's less of a chance of a bust with the former (even if you never get the elite ability out of them, at least you're likely to get something). That's the profile of Mario Williams last year. But with the latter you know they have done it. That part is not in question... and to me it's the bigger question, the harder question to answer about a guy. You just have to figure out why they stopped doing it.

This is the formula that paid off so handsomely for the Patriots with Randy Moss, who languished for a while in Oakland and who many thought was done. Many have been bitten with that formula also but I think it gives you better odds of success. Finley's situation sets up for me not all that dissimilarly to Moss' and it's a bet I'm willing to make.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Love the two one-handers at the same time feat. The other stuff is just numbers.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdawg954 View Post
    I shouldn't say better, because you are right, Vjax is a better WR, no question . . . but in terms of what a guy means to an offense, I don't necessarily believe Vjax is that much of an asset that Wallace could be. Speed kills in today's NFL . . . and Wallace is a Defensive Coordinators nightmare on the outside.
    I'll take Mike Wallace over Vincent Jackson all day long, thank you very much
    Quote Quote