Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of the Most Helpful Parts of ObamaCare Just Kicked In

Hybrid View

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

One of the Most Helpful Parts of ObamaCare Just Kicked In

You probably missed it because of the media's focus on the fiscal cliff, but a provision of ObamaCare took effect on January 1 that can help you avoid making costly mistakes when you sign up for health insurance. At the very least you'll be able to understand what you're actually signing up for.
    From now on, health insurers will have to provide us with information in plain English, and in no more than four pages, about what their policies cover and how much we'll have to pay out of our own pockets when we get sick. And they'll have to provide it in a standard format that will enable us to make apples-to-apples comparisons among health plans.
    As you can imagine, insurers fought hard to kill that part of the law. That's because they've profited for years by using legalese and gobbledygook in describing their policies, and also by purposely withholding information we really need to make informed coverage decisions.
    Now at long last, thanks to ObamaCare, you can say goodbye and good riddance to "explanations" like this one:
    Benefits are payable for Covered Medical Expenses (see "Definitions'') less any Deductible incurred by or for a Covered Person for loss due to Injury or Sickness subject to: (a) the Maximum Benefit for all services; (b) the maximum amount for specific services; both as set forth in the Schedule of Benefits; and (c) any coinsurance amount set forth in the Schedule of Benefits or any endorsement hereto. The total payable for all Covered Medical Expenses shall never exceed the Maximum Benefit stated in the Schedule of Benefits. Read the "Definitions'' section and the "Exclusions and Limitations'' section carefully.
    Yes, that's from an actual policy the folks at Consumers Union found during research they did a few years ago into the consequences to patients of indecipherable policy descriptions.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wendel...b_2425058.html
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Theres always some golden corn in the biggest turds

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: One of the Most Helpful Parts of ObamaCare Just Kicked In

I love it when people quote the Huffington Post ass some unbiased bastion of knowledge. However,I will concede that some clarity in insurance jargon would certainly help...and this is coming from a director at a medical center! A golden nugget indeed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I love it when people quote the Huffington Post ass some unbiased bastion of knowledge.
    We should be grateful that no one here uses the Daily Show as a source.
    “I’m somewhat disappointed that more African Americans don’t think for themselves and just go with whatever they’re supposed to say and think."

- Dr. Benjamin Carson
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFins! View Post
    We should be grateful that no one here uses the Daily Show as a source.
    I don't see why they shouldn't. It's more credible than Fox...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    I don't see why they shouldn't. It's more credible than Fox...
    Because we are on the subject, hilariously:
    Because the aim of the study was to isolate the effects of each type of news source, they then controlled for variables such as other news sources, partisanship, education and other demographic factors.

They found that someone who watched only Fox News would be expected to answer 1.04 domestic questions correctly compared to 1.22 for those who watched no news at all. Those watching only "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" answered 1.42 questions correctly and people who only listened to NPR or only watched Sunday morning political talk shows answered 1.51 questions correctly.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/study...#ixzz2HKN823g5

If you google the subject, Huffington Post has a story about it but, more importantly, also the actual study. For some reason i couldnt copy the Post article and i didnt think people on here would like to read the entire 11 page paper on the study.

edit in: Pictures!

So yeah, perhaps we should be linking the Daily show on here.
    "Ignorance is not an excuse" were the words Goodell used when describing why those involved in the Saints bounty scandal would not avoid punishment.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ons-unanswered
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post

If you google the subject, Huffington Post has a story about it but, more importantly, also the actual study. For some reason i couldnt copy the Post article and i didnt think people on here would like to read the entire 11 page paper on the study.

awesome, you just wasted 10 minutes of your life looking up graphs and data. which avid poster in this forum says they get their "news" from fox? i think most of us (except for the crazy righties and crazy lefties) get our information from all kinds of sources. are you suggesting that your primary source of news is from "the daily show".
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post

Crazy people are still using these BS studies in their partisan pissing matches.

"Who are the most consistently misinformed media viewers? … Fox viewers, consistently, every poll."

So we have three Pew studies that superficially rank Fox viewers low on the well-informed list, but in several of the surveys, Fox isn’t the lowest, and other general-interest media outlets -- such as network news shows, network morning shows and even the other cable news networks -- often score similarly low. Meanwhile, particular Fox shows -- such as The O’Reilly Factor and Sean Hannity’s show -- actually score consistently well, occasionally even outpacing Stewart’s own audience.

Meanwhile, the other set of knowledge surveys, from worldpublicopinion.org, offer mixed support for Stewart. The 2003 survey strikes us as pretty solid, but the 2010 survey has been critiqued for its methodology.

The way Stewart phrased the comment, it’s not enough to show a sliver of evidence that Fox News’ audience is ill-informed. The evidence needs to support the view that the data shows they are "consistently" misinformed -- a term he used not once but three times. It’s simply not true that "every poll" shows that result. So we rate his claim False.
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...news-are-most/

Fox and MSNBC are the most partisan politicaly based media sources and don't watch either for that reason.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Any other outcome and we'd be arguing about the bias of the questions.

On average, people were able to answer correctly 1.8 of 4 questions about international news, and 1.6 of 5 questions about domestic affairs.
    Where'd they find so many uniformed people?

The first indication of a potentially flawed sample is that these people either don't have caller ID or are lonely enough to answer the phone regardless just to have someone to talk to.
    Last edited by GoFins!; 01-08-2013 at 09:57 PM.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFins! View Post
    Any other outcome and we'd be arguing about the bias of the questions.

Where'd they find so many uniformed people?

The first indication of a potentially flawed sample is that these people either don't have caller ID or are lonely enough to answer the phone regardless just have someone to talk to.
    Seriously? I mean, is this a serious gripe? A sample is inaccurate because they don't have caller ID or because they answer the phone? Are you ****ing kidding me? Mother of god. I thought I'd seen it all. Can you tell me what a sample is? Can you define the independent/dependent variable? Do you even understand what a study is? Judging by the retardation you just posted, the answer is a resounding no to all those question. Which then begs the question, why are you posting on a topic you know absolutely nothing about? For ****'s sake...

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    Heres my question.....how do you get 1.42 questions right? Seriously, i never got partial credit.....i wanna see these questions.....i smell something fishy, and it aint *****.
    It's an average. I know you're kidding Mo, but I know others who read this won't understand and think there's funny business going on...
    Quote Quote