Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Still need O-line upgrades

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Still need O-line upgrades

Just a reminder to fans that other positions outside of WR and TE will need to be addressed in the draft or free agency. It looks like Jonathan Martin could be our LT going forward, and Pouncey has established himself as a Pro-Bowl caliber center. However, I think the other line positions are still in need of an upgrade to solidify the rotation for the future. Incognito, John Jerry, and Nate Garner represent quality depth for their positions, but all three are holdovers from the previous regime that emphasized large bodies to dominate in man-blocking.

With the Philbin/Sherman offense, the linemen must have movement skills for zone blocking and pulling. The only player with the movement talent to excel within the current scheme is Pouncey. There is a reasonable expectation that the scouts will be able to dig up OG prospects in the later rounds...especially now that the scouts are educated on Philbin's/Sherman's preferences.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Münchweiler, Germany
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm ok with picking OL later in the draft, just not in the 1st.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Alabama's Barrett Jones would be a good pick-up late second or third round and fits the new Dolphins West Coast type of blocking. Quick, football smart with good size and has started for three years at Alabama playing OT, OG and Center. Would look to play him at Guard and backup Center.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If Miami drafts Cooper in the 1st, people are going to jump from buildings, but he's a dream at LG - especially for a team running a ZBS (like Miami). I'd prefer Patterson in the 1st, but I wouldn't be mad about drafting Cooper (especially with the WR's who will be available in the 2nd and 3rd).
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's an excellent point. We could get all the talent in the world at the skilll positions, but if Tannehill is running for his life forget taking that next step. It is also possible that an offensive lineman could be the BPA when Miami picks, but more likely I think the team looks to upgrade in the 2nd-5th round range with one or two linemen.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    PSL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    IMHO, it depends on how free agency falls out. If we address tackle in FA, then I doubt we take an o-lineman before the 4th round. Possibly 3rd if a guy had good value. If we let Jake Long walk and spend our $ on CB, WR, and DE in free agency we might well see an o-lineman taken in the 1st.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If Jake Matthews declares and is there at 12, i take him. Otherwise, the only way i take an OLineman is if we trade down. Then i would look at Cooper.

And if not, i'm going BPA at DE/Rush End, WR, or CB.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Ground and Pound

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We will see what we let go/pick up in FA
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    The Fluke

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Five years later and our OL still sucks.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Matthew Santos: Shadows in a Shoebox
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaV9yPc_EYw
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ireland has to pick his battles. First and foremost he needs to surround Tannehill with talent at the skill positions to grow with him. Of the 5 picks in the first 82, we need to use 2 or 3 of them on WR's and a TE. Free agency can fill 1 WR, and some holes at G and/or CB, but Ireland needs to set up the draft with a strong FA period to fill specific holes. If we do not add any OL in FA, that would be a mistake I think. Good value guys like Jake Matthews in round 1 or Barrett Jones in round 2 would be fine, but no more than 1 OL with our top 5 picks. We can't fix everything in one offseason, so we need a plan. Pass rushers and targets for Tannehill have to take precedence, even if it means our makeshift OL only upgrades 1 spot this offseason.
    Quote Quote