Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could we double up on TE's?

Hybrid View

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kissimmee,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Could we double up on TE's?

I know a lot depends on what we do in free agency and also on who's on the board. If we do land a guy like Jennings and maybe another free agent for the oline then we'd still need a DE, Corner, maybe another WR but I'd not mind ending up with Eifert plus the kid from Stanford too. NE did this with Gronsk and Hernandez and it's worked pretty good for them. Now of course that is if we let Fasano walk which I'm not sure we will but it is posible. Tannehill needs as many options as posible. If we move down into the 20's and get an extra 2nd then I could see us taking a guy like Eifert(sp?) and then the other guy with one of our 3 2nd's(providing we can pull that trade)and still take a DE and a corner in round 2. Then in round 3 we can get a WR to add to Jennings and oline help.

Ozzy rules!!
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Funny that last year the two double-ups got hammered on draft night: Skins RG3+Cousins, Colts Fleener+Allen. Then both teams made the playoffs and got great play from both.

And interesting that the Ravens took Pitta+Dickson in the same draft (and the Pats doubled with Gronk+Hernandez in that same year, like you said).

Stick to the draft board and take the best guy available, particularly after the first 40 picks. And maybe the above teams benefitted from some stiff depth chart competition between the dueling doubled rookies.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think the interesting thing about doubling up on a position early in the draft is it really focusses the coaching staff for the following season to do something noteworthy with that position in the gameplan. Sure, any coach might be thinking "if I can get the right TE, I could do this or that with my offense", but when you draft 2 guys high, you're virtually COMPELLED to innovate and focus on that position's fit in your scheme.

I doubt very much we'd draft 2 TEs high. Fasano is a keeper, Clay can develop further and Egnew couldn't legitimately be dumped so soon. But the idea of drafting 2 top linebackers or 2 top WRs is more than doubly exciting because you know the coaches must have something cool in store.

I think we'll sign a guard and a corner in FA, maybe a WR. So, it's very possible in the draft that we double on LBs, DEs or WRs.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Life is what we make it.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta via Exit 9 - New
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fin Thirteen View Post
    I think the interesting thing about doubling up on a position early in the draft is it really focusses the coaching staff for the following season to do something noteworthy with that position in the gameplan. Sure, any coach might be thinking "if I can get the right TE, I could do this or that with my offense", but when you draft 2 guys high, you're virtually COMPELLED to innovate and focus on that position's fit in your scheme.

I doubt very much we'd draft 2 TEs high. Fasano is a keeper, Clay can develop further and Egnew couldn't legitimately be dumped so soon. But the idea of drafting 2 top linebackers or 2 top WRs is more than doubly exciting because you know the coaches must have something cool in store.

I think we'll sign a guard and a corner in FA, maybe a WR. So, it's very possible in the draft that we double on LBs, DEs or WRs.
    Good post Fin Thirteen

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    the TE draft has gotten a lot deeper with the underclassmen. Eifert, the Stanford boys, and a kid most probably haven't heard of yet Gavin Escobar. The class now has 4-5 guys (Joe Fauria being the top senior) that are interesting prospects
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kissimmee,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well, all I know is we better draft at least one and when I said that we could draft 2, that's if Fasano walks but I know we have other needs. If we get a WR in free agency then why do we need to draft 2 more?...I can see drafting one more and if we do, it needs to be 3rd round or higher. We don't need another 6 or 7 round WR on the team. We have Moore to play ST's already and Mathews and if we keep Hartline and Bess plus a free agent then that's already 6 guys and we'll only carry 5.

Ozzy rules!!
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Well, all I know is we better draft at least one and when I said that we could draft 2, that's if Fasano walks but I know we have other needs. If we get a WR in free agency then why do we need to draft 2 more?...I can see drafting one more and if we do, it needs to be 3rd round or higher. We don't need another 6 or 7 round WR on the team. We have Moore to play ST's already and Mathews and if we keep Hartline and Bess plus a free agent then that's already 6 guys and we'll only carry 5.

Ozzy rules!!
    Personally I would prob not resign Hartline for the money he will want. Philbins GB offense had quality depth at WR and TE. We don't just need a #1 guy, we need 75% of a WR roster. I would love to see us take 3 guys, correction, the RIGHT 3 guys. Our FA guy wouldn't have to be Jennings, Wallace or Bowe.

I think we may take a TE, but not early. Stoneburner or Lutzenkirchen late would do.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Wouldn't be smart we already drafted two tight ends in the past 2 years (Clay, Egnew). I wouldn't be opposed however to dropping down and getting Eifert or drafting Ertz in the 2nd.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Good tight ends in this Draft. Wouldn't be a terrible thing to double up.

But not sure I see the need, either.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    Good tight ends in this Draft. Wouldn't be a terrible thing to double up.

But not sure I see the need, either.
    Great depth. Eifert, Toilolo, Gragg, Escobar, Kelce, Reed, Stoneburner, Lutzenkirchen, Fauria and more. I can't bring myself to include Ertz as I'm convinced he'll bust!
    Quote Quote