Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could we double up on TE's?

1. -11
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    Good tight ends in this Draft. Wouldn't be a terrible thing to double up.

But not sure I see the need, either.
    Great depth. Eifert, Toilolo, Gragg, Escobar, Kelce, Reed, Stoneburner, Lutzenkirchen, Fauria and more. I can't bring myself to include Ertz as I'm convinced he'll bust!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    resign Fasano. Draft Eifert. There is your double up. Sign Fasano for two years if you can.

He already knows system and expectations. No getting to know you crap.

FA: Dmitiri Patterson (Vet min.w/ incentives)
    1. Zach Martin OT
    2. Bishop Sankey RB
    3. Brandon Thomas G/T
    4. Max Bullough ILB
    5. Crockett Gilmore TE
    6. Brandon Linder G/T
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Portland
    Thanks / No Thanks

Could we double up on TE's?

I think between egnew and Charles one of them can play that H-Back style TE. I think Eifert is the best offensive weapon in this draft. Fauria is a huge target. I'd be happy if wr got either and made them the #1 TE. But I don't think we need both
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not sure which of the TE crop is best suited for Philbin/Sherman's offense, but I've seen Eifert play and barring injury, he's going to be a tough size/speed/skill matchup for any defense. As far as what we currently have on the roster, I think Clay should be shifted full time to H-back. It's the role he played in college, and it gives him a chance to create some pass-catching mismatches on a defense's second coverage option.

For example, looking at our base man-defense, coverage assignments vary, but on underneath routes, Dansby is usually assigned to the RB while Burnett was usually assigned to the primary TE. If a team like NE trotted out 2 TEs, that would leave Misi to cover the second TE on the other side. Well, Misi matched up with Hernandez/Gronk/or even Shiancoe was a mismatch from hell. That's what I want to force other teams to do. If you have a field stretching TE like Eifert, and the other linebacker likely covering Bush, Clay is left with the mismatch underneath. He should win that battle every time.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kissimmee,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    Good tight ends in this Draft. Wouldn't be a terrible thing to double up.

But not sure I see the need, either.
    When you say that you don't see the need, do you mean you don't see the need to draft 2? But you agree that we should at least draft one? I like the potential that Clay has shown but he can't seem to stay healthy just like DT.......We don't know what Egnew will do either. If Fasano stays then I still see the need to grab one but not 2. If Fasano leaves then I'd think we need 2, either a free agent and a draft pick or 2 draft picks. Every year we say we need a seam TE and we still don't have one.

Ozzy rules!!
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Omar's tweet said egnew is practically out the door unless he 1) hits the wieght room 2) prays really really hard to jesus
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Everyone knows about Tyler Eifert and Zach Ertz but guys like Joe Fauria, Travis Kelce, Jordan Reed, Dion Sims, Levine Toilolo, Gavin Escobar, Mychal Rivera, Phil Lutzenkirchen, Chris Gragg and Justice Cunningham make this Draft exceptionally deep at the position if you want guys that can go out there and play football on Sundays in some capacity.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Snakes!Cam Wake 91Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    **** the ****ing colts for grabbing allen. Goddamn colts anyway.

Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I posted this a little while back: I definitely would like to see an early 2nd round pick on Fauria or another comparable TE. Maybe a later pick on Lutzenkirchen or possibly Mychal Rivera out of Tennessee (although I don't know if he's too Charles Clay-ish).

Thinking about it a bit more and looking at a bit more stuff, been impressed by Lutzenkirchen, he makes a great grab against Mississippi State going totally against the direction of his body when Darius Slay had a sure interception: http://youtu.be/KZ6Ok3hxcMQ?t=2m52s

Another guy I'm a fan of is Mychal Rivera and if we're comparing to last year's draft, in terms of size and speed - I think he solidly can be compared to Northwestern's Drake Dunsmore. Although Dunsmore got picked in the 7th, I don't see that comparison as a bad thing. Good hands, some nice YAC ability, not a particularly strong blocker and almost identical production to Dunsmore. Although Rivera played in a much more pro-style offense, which I'm sure will help him with scouts.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

FH

Ireland likes doubling up, so we do that. Remember Merling & Langford (and Langford was the only one I liked on draft day), Vontae Davis & Sean Smith (I liked Smith, but the jury is still out on that one), and Ireland has doubled up on WR's multiple times. I expect us to double up on WR's in the draft, and frankly I'll be shocked if we don't. But, I'd be quite happy with an Ertz in round 2 and a Kelce in round 4 or 5 as well. For me, only Eifert and Ertz are good TE's for next season ... the others are complimentary second TE's or raw diamond-in-the-rough types.

I'd like to keep Fasano as a 2nd TE, but if we don't, I'm simply not convinced about any of the other FA TE's out thre. Fasano may not be great, but he knows our system and is decent at both blocking and catching. All of the other FA TE's are too flawed and expensive to be of much interest to me. Athletic potential with inconsistent hands, woeful blocking skills, poor route running, injury history or expensive price tags ... soooooo much not to like about the FA TE's this year. Yet, some peple are so captivated with the size/speed element that they completely ignore stuff like ... you know ... actually playing football at a high level.
    Quote Quote