Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Playing GM: Screw it, let's go all in for 2013

1. -11
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'd like to see Bush and Hartline stay. I would love to see Long stay for the right price, incentive laden contract. The reality is 2 dozen teams will line up and over pay for him. Let's hope he buys into the fact that the dolphins are in a very good place to finally turn this around with the cap room and picks.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WesternNYDolfan View Post
    That is exactly the kind of GM strategy that leads to results ala the NYJets...a year or two of relevancy, followed by a quick painful fall to rebuilding. Or you could continue to build through the draft, and eventually be continuously contending like the Steelers or the Packers.

Glad Ross, and Ireland seem to understand this.
    Jennings is this years Anquan Boldin, the guy we should have signed instead of trading 2 seconds for Brandon Marshall. Trading 2 seconds for players like Brandon Marshall is also a recipe for building a losing team.

And continue to build through the draft? Theres a damn good chance we won't have a single player left on the team from the 2008 and 2009 drafts and Pouncy is the only player worth a damn from 2011. Thats not what you call "building" through the draft by any measure.

If we had a competent GM in the least we would have at least one player like a Wallace or Jennings on the team already and if he were up for contract everybody would be saying "there is no way we can't let that guy walk" but in reality signing a free agent from another team is no different than signing our own free agents. People are clouded by loyalty, in this case loyalty to mediocre players.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    The world is your's...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    LI, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roy_miami View Post
    Jennings is this years Anquan Boldin, the guy we should have signed instead of trading 2 seconds for Brandon Marshall. Trading 2 seconds for players like Brandon Marshall is also a recipe for building a losing team.

And continue to build through the draft? Theres a damn good chance we won't have a single player left on the team from the 2008 and 2009 drafts and Pouncy is the only player worth a damn from 2011. Thats not what you call "building" through the draft by any measure.

If we had a competent GM in the least we would have at least one player like a Wallace or Jennings on the team already and if he were up for contract everybody would be saying "there is no way we can't let that guy walk" but in reality signing a free agent from another team is no different than signing our own free agents. People are clouded by loyalty, in this case loyalty to mediocre players.
    Thank you. I don't think the Saints are too unhappy about signing Drew Brees, and I don't think the Cowboys were upset about Deion Sanders. You can build through the draft and still amplify the team talent in FA.

"I don't have pet peeves, I have psychotic ****ing hatred"
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Melrose, MA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    And given how pathetic Saban's two drafts were (I don't care how many NCAA championships he wins, he sucked at drafting), it becomes easy to figure out why this team has had nothing but losing seasons (6 out of the last 7) in recent memory, outside of a fluke year in 2008.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    And given how pathetic Saban's two drafts were (I don't care how many NCAA championships he wins, he sucked at drafting), it becomes easy to figure out why this team has had nothing but losing seasons (6 out of the last 7) in recent memory, outside of a fluke year in 2008.
    Yup, for sure its been bad for long before Ireland got here, we've drafted one probowl receiver in 30 years. Building through the draft is definitely the ideal way to build a team but its easier said than done and you actually have to have an eye for talent to pull it off. Jimmy Johnson drafted Surtain, Madison, Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas over a 3 year stretch and those 4 players kept our team competitive for the better part of a decade.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You don't sign Wallace and Jennings at the prices they are going to demand and bankrupt the team with 2 receivers. Those are not elite positions that warrant breaking the bank...and those are not elite players that warrant doing it either. Both were in contract years and stumbled. Jennings was hurt and has been surpassed by other guys in GB. He wasn't the #1 there anymore. As for Wallace, the Steelers felt more comfortable giving Brown the long-term deal. And for a guy as fast as him, he had less plays greater than 20 yards this year than Heath Miller, Brown and Sanders.....and less than Bess and Hartline too. He didn't exactly light it up this year.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Finfansince75

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rex, is that you???

Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PSU Cane View Post
    You don't sign Wallace and Jennings at the prices they are going to demand and bankrupt the team with 2 receivers. Those are not elite positions that warrant breaking the bank...and those are not elite players that warrant doing it either. Both were in contract years and stumbled. Jennings was hurt and has been surpassed by other guys in GB. He wasn't the #1 there anymore. As for Wallace, the Steelers felt more comfortable giving Brown the long-term deal. And for a guy as fast as him, he had less plays greater than 20 yards this year than Heath Miller, Brown and Sanders.....and less than Bess and Hartline too. He didn't exactly light it up this year.
    The steelers have 5 or 6 elite playmakers I can think of off the top of my head that command a big chunk of their salary cap, not the least of which is their franchise QB, AND WR is a position of strength for them. That is why they are moving on from Wallace, they simply can't afford him. We, on the other hand only have one elite playmaker thats worthy of taking up a big chunk of our cap and that's Cam Wake
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rustycage View Post
    hold up, I'm writing all this down for Madden...
    MADDEN is fiction, and drivel.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The steelers have 5 or 6 elite playmakers I can think of off the top of my head that command a big chunk of their salary cap, not the least of which is their franchise QB, AND WR is a position of strength for them. That is why they are moving on from Wallace, they simply can't afford him. We, on the other hand only have one elite playmaker thats worthy of taking up a big chunk of our cap and that's Cam Wake
    And the Steeler's chose Brown over Wallace. To me, that says something. And if we sign 1 WR out of Jennings/Wallace, that's fine. We need a playmaker out wide. But you don't sign both with all the other needs we still have at OL, DL, and DB and like 20 open roster spots.
    Quote Quote