Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Barry Jackson: Some FA Notes

1. -21
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Churubusco, Indiana
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by El Calebra View Post

Ps..............Tannehills wife is to skinny and Macarrons girl friend is a barbie doll. Real women are where its at.

....lets see your wife.

Quote Quote  

2. -22
    The Fluke

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zounds View Post
    The kind of strength Martin needs cant be aquired in just one offseason in the weight room. You arent going to double your strength in 6 months.

As far as Jake Long goes, this is the first time I have heard that he was offered a contract mid-season. Too bad Barry Jackson doesnt say what his source is.
    Also, he turned it down. So much for him and Hartline taking team friendly deals.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Conducting From the Grave: The Rise
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYQ2aKgXafw
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    TRUE AMERICAN

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    USA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    wow. THE DOUBLE DOOM!!

first we find out IRELAND is being retained [instantly killing next season] and now they want to actually keep SEAN SMITH?

you CANT WIN with either of those two in the mix [yes, smith is that bad!].

and now our owner is blaming the last regime for everything under the sun. almost sounds like i am watching politics and not football!!
    For Those Who Ride The Other Side

HOWARD: rip my brother.

Quote Quote  

4. -24
    MIA#1

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ireland has to many picks to screw us over -___________-
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm not gonna sit here and let someone use "statistical analysis" instead of true evaluating from your own two eyes. Martin WILL perform better than Jake at Left Tackle in the years coming.. Simple as that.. And besides when he stood straight up and got bull rushed into Tannehill by Aldon Smith.. but that is Aldon Smith... that is a leverage pad level thing not as much strength.. I think Martin needs to work on his footwork and pad level more than strength.. Thinking back to the INDY game I think Jake got beat every play by dwight freeney... and got thrown to the ground by Merriman and then Merriman made a TFL on Thursday Night Football.. Martin spent only 3 weeks working on the left side and I think he works at it and has a great season next year... he is a ROOKIE after all
    Last edited by fanfin; 01-09-2013 at 01:52 PM.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    North Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudder1310 View Post
    What were Longs rookie sack/hurry numbers? I mean, Martin wasn't drafted to be the LT. An offseason in the weight room and working with staff will improve his performance.
    Jake gave up 2 sacks, 9 hits and 15 hurries. You also have to give credit to Chad Pennington as a seasoned veteran having a career year versus a Rookie.
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fanfin View Post
    I'm not gonna sit here and let someone use "statistical analysis" instead of true evaluating from your own two eyes. Martin performed better than Jake did at Left Tackle. Simple as that.
    PFF isn't really "'statistical analysis,'" i don't think. IIRC they grade players' performance on each snap all season and simply rank players based on the accumulation of positive and negative grades for each snap over the whole season. in other words, they evaluate with their eyeballs. i often disagree with them too, but from what i know it ain't like they're using football sabermetrics or something.

as for martin's performance vs long's, anyone who thinks martin was better than long at LT is crazy IMO. martin was OK vs SF, fine against jax and buf, and hideously godawful against NE (at least as bad as long was against indy). martin doesn't run block as well as even a diminished long and probably never will. he has the tools to handle speed rushers better than long can at this point in long's career, but those tools aren't as developed as they need to be yet. long was unbelievably bad against freeney but the rest of the season he was more of an average performer IMO (honestly probably a hair above average). problem with that is that mere average-ish performance makes him massively overpaid.

martin is a better choice than long cuz he's a better value for his performance level and a better fit for the system. but martin is not generally a better tackle than jake long, not yet anyway.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by False Alarm View Post
    PFF isn't really "'statistical analysis,'" i don't think. IIRC they grade players' performance on each snap all season and simply rank players based on the accumulation of positive and negative grades for each snap over the whole season. in other words, they evaluate with their eyeballs. i often disagree with them too, but from what i know it ain't like they're using football sabermetrics or something.

as for martin's performance vs long's, anyone who thinks martin was better than long at LT is crazy IMO. martin was OK vs SF, fine against jax and buf, and hideously godawful against NE (at least as bad as long was against indy). martin doesn't run block as well as even a diminished long and probably never will. he has the tools to handle speed rushers better than long can at this point in long's career, but those tools aren't as developed as they need to be yet. long was unbelievably bad against freeney but the rest of the season he was more of an average performer IMO (honestly probably a hair above average). problem with that is that mere average-ish performance makes him massively overpaid.

martin is a better choice than long cuz he's a better value for his performance level and a better fit for the system. but martin is not generally a better tackle than jake long, not yet anyway.
    just ReRead my post and had a typo... I first put performed better than Long at Left tackle... which I rightfully changed to "will perform better in future years" There isn't an offensive lineman I would pay over 10 million dollars besides Clady from Denver who at one point in the season gave up ZERO sacks and they have to pay him to protect Mannings neck
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Life is what we make it.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta via Exit 9 - New Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by El Calebra View Post
    Are you guys watching the same Dolphins I am watching every single week? Long was getting beat often. I hope it was due to injury and not ineffectiveness. Martin IMO performed admirably and most likely will start on the left side next season.
    Its amazing, how I am certain we are all watching the same team, but have differing opinions on what is actually happening on the field.

I hope to see Jake back. But he will need to play much better than he did this season. Otherwise let Martin have the job. It is his position of choice and experience after all.

Ps..............Tannehills wife is to skinny and Macarrons girl friend is a barbie doll. Real women are where its at.
    I agree....but I wouldn't turn either down.

Quote Quote  

10. -30
    I hate everyone else in the AFC East

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    CK was talking sort of this same thing on a different site with regards to Smith. Long is going to get paid, that is the market. Teams with ****ty LT have hurt qbs or shotty play. Bring Jake back at money less then Joe Thomas even if we do the two year deal thing like we did Solai, let him prove his next contract. IF you look at what starting LT gets paid its not peanuts. The same can be said about Smith, he wants McCourty money. about 7.2 mil. As CK said,this is what the market cost and actually is cheap compared to many corners above Smith. Corners and tackles get paid. Everyone needs to realize that. If we are to replace Long with Vollmer do people think he's coming in at 5 mil/yr? If you do you don't understand market economics even a little. As for Martin, lets let him gain strength and man the RT spot. Last time I checked its nice having two good tackles, ask any QB in Arizona if they wouldn't mind having our tackles compared to theirs. Sign Long, get Martin stronger and find a better swing tackle in case of injury. Oh and find a damn LG that can pull and move Richie to RG or cut him. Keep Jerry as our swing tackle. All of that helps our line in my mind.
    Let's go Miami!!!!
    Quote Quote