Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: OT situation. Long Vs Martin

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fremont, Ohio
    Thanks / No Thanks

OT situation. Long Vs Martin

Everyone on here wants to bash long for not playing very well and want to let him walk but can we afford to have martin as Ryan's blindside blocker? Its a given that Long is gonna get a big contract where ever he goes, but just how big. I live in ohio and dont see many of the games, but judging by the consensus around here,you guys want to let jake walk because martin did a serviceable job this season including his time at LT. Well here is an interesting stat that tells otherwise. I under stand a lot of the reason people dont want to resign long is because of the contract or decline of play this season but he is still one of the top LTs in the game and if we can get him for anything around 10 mill a year, you have to keep him

Per rotoworld
    Dolphins OT Jonathan Martin's 47 quarterback hurries were the most among offensive tackles in 2012.

After moving to left tackle in early December, Martin allowed 17 hurries in just under five games. Jake Long had allowed 10 hurries in just over 11 games. With Long seemingly determined to land a market-setting deal, the Dolphins could have major pass protection issues in 2013.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zach8111 View Post
    Everyone on here wants to bash long for not playing very well and want to let him walk but can we afford to have martin as Ryan's blindside blocker? Its a given that Long is gonna get a big contract where ever he goes, but just how big. I live in ohio and dont see many of the games, but judging by the consensus around here,you guys want to let jake walk because martin did a serviceable job this season including his time at LT. Well here is an interesting stat that tells otherwise. I under stand a lot of the reason people dont want to resign long is because of the contract or decline of play this season but he is still one of the top LTs in the game and if we can get him for anything around 10 mill a year, you have to keep him

Per rotoworld
    well if long wants a market setting deal good luck with that. Why would 10 million be a good number to keep him , I definately dont get it. so u basically him Joe Thomas money ok then
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jakes play is not the "main" concern, the main concern is what else could the team do with the money. We tried the proven method of get a LT and then build. Yes we now just have a QB that looks fairly promising, but I think it is time for a change in how the money is spread around. If they go that route I'm OK with it. For the right money of course you keep him.
    It's time to be successful Coach Philbin. Have you decided what you should master yet? It's time to step up Mr. Tannehill, you're starting year three too.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    any team spending well that much on tackle esp a losing team really needs to look at thier front office
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Martin is frustrating. I've been looking at his late season games. On most plays he's fine, and seems more active and energetic than recent Jake Long. Bouncy feet. But Martin's bad plays are off the chart bad. He loses balance and can't recover. Panics and bends solely at the waist. On those plays it's glaring that he's not a natural athlete. Strength alone won't fix it.

Seems like a player who will be fine against lower and moderate opposition but be exposed up the ladder.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    old pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    windermere
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    Martin is frustrating. I've been looking at his late season games. On most plays he's fine, and seems more active and energetic than recent Jake Long. Bouncy feet. But Martin's bad plays are off the chart bad. He loses balance and can't recover. Panics and bends solely at the waist. On those plays it's glaring that he's not a natural athlete. Strength alone won't fix it.

Seems like a player who will be fine against lower and moderate opposition but be exposed up the ladder.
    In other words, rookies are never capable of developing their skills or improving on weaknesses. You are correct, if an O-lineman doesn't play like a pro bowler his rookie season, he can never develop into one. Its never happened before in the history of the NFL.
    If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Thankfully Dan Snyder is in the NFL and he will do us a favor and make Jake Long the highest paid tackle in NFL history.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Superman logo2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    the problem is the money. long isnt worth what he wants hell he isnt worth 10 mil a year. there are impact positions that are a much bigger need. paying jake just makes us a worse team. if jake takes a pay cut then im all for him coming back
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

OT situation. Long Vs Martin

Quote Originally Posted by zach8111 View Post

Per rotoworld
    Don't continue to be brainwashed by the outdated philosophy of Bill Parcells. You don't need to select a tackle with the first overall pick in the draft, let alone anywhere in the first round. Look at all the successful teams, and tell me if you even remember the names of the tackles.
    Quote Quote