Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Book on Ireland's Drafts

1. -1
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

GM The Book on Ireland's Drafts

Solid in Round 1
    Poor/Mediocre in Round 2 & 3
    Good/Solid in Round 4 - 7
    Good/Great with Undrafted FA

Doesn't bode well for the 5 picks in 1st 3 rounds, but this seems to be the book on his drafts. He has yet to completely whiff in Round 1 which is good, but he has some notable gaffes in round 2 & 3. Does a pretty solid job on all the late round picks.

Agree or Disagree?
    Bluebird in Hell

Just published my first game for iOS if anyone is interested...
    It's a free time waster.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Brave Rifles

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado
    Thanks / No Thanks
    There is people on this forum who could do better than Ireland.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Beach / Reno
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would like to see a more detailed list of all 5 of the drafts that he participated in and the FA signings for that year.

It should make for some excellent discussion and definitely a few face palms and eye rolls.

IMHO..Ireland sucks, but I would not mind seeing his body of failure
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LANGER72 View Post
    I would like to see a more detailed list of all 5 of the drafts that he participated in and the FA signings for that year.

It should make for some excellent discussion and definitely a few face palms and eye rolls.

IMHO..Ireland sucks, but I would not mind seeing his body of failure
    You would need to compar it against drafts from other GMs during that time period to really make sense of the data. Can't really compare it in a vacuum. You need to determine what is the success rate of draft picks in each round for "successful" GMs and then compare Ireland's work against that.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkapePhin View Post
    Solid in Round 1
    Poor/Mediocre in Round 2 & 3
    Good/Solid in Round 4 - 7
    Good/Great with Undrafted FA

Doesn't bode well for the 5 picks in 1st 3 rounds, but this seems to be the book on his drafts. He has yet to completely whiff in Round 1 which is good, but he has some notable gaffes in round 2 & 3. Does a pretty solid job on all the late round picks.

Agree or Disagree?
    Disagree for a couple reasons(great Undrafted FA?)but will focus on the highlighted part.

According to many on here Vontae Davis was one of the worst players in the history of the NFL and we stole a second round pick from the Colts. Personally, i dont buy that, but isnt it a complete whiff when our first round pick isnt worth keeping on the team?
    Quote Originally Posted by finfan54 View Post
    its all right, Im a rice dick apparently.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Disagree for a couple reasons(great Undrafted FA?)but will focus on the highlighted part.

According to many on here Vontae Davis was one of the worst players in the history of the NFL and we stole a second round pick from the Colts. Personally, i dont buy that, but isnt it a complete whiff when our first round pick isnt worth keeping on the team?
    I wouldn't consider it a whiff if the player still retains a 2nd round value and helped contribute to wins during their time here. I would consider Ted Ginn a first round whiff. We had to ship him off for a 6th to get rid of him. Likewise, Jason Allen was a 1st round whiff. When a guy nets you a 2nd round pick 4 years after he was drafted, you have to say there is some value there.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    The Fluke

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post

Also, our first overal pick is about to be on another team. Two out of five being gone already isn't solid, especially when you look at who we passed on.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Matthew Santos: Shadows in a Shoebox
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaV9yPc_EYw
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Valandui View Post
    Also, our first overal pick is about to be on another team. Two out of five being gone already isn't solid, especially when you look at who we passed on.
    Find me another team whose 1st round picks over a 5 years span are still all starters in the same team in year 6? I would actually be very interested to know.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    The Fluke

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Find me another team whose 1st round picks over a 5 years span are still all starters in the same team in year 6? I would actually be very interested to know.
    It can't be both ways. You can't whiff on 40% of your picks and also be solid in the first round. Add in all of the second round misses and it isn't a pretty picture.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wouldn't consider it a whiff if the player still retains a 2nd round value and helped contribute to wins during their time here. I would consider Ted Ginn a first round whiff. We had to ship him off for a 6th to get rid of him. Likewise, Jason Allen was a 1st round whiff. When a guy nets you a 2nd round pick 4 years after he was drafted, you have to say there is some value there.
    So buying high and selling low is a shrewd strategy for team building? Its perfectly acceptable for your first round picks to not be on your team so long as you get lower value for them?

And what wins did Vontae contribute towards? He was drafted in '09. We havent had a winning season since '08. Were those 7-9 and 6-10 seasons that valuable to the history of this franchise? It wouldnt surprise me if some on this forum felt that they were.
    Quote Quote