Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

View Poll Results: The '09-'11 Jets Elite? Yea or Nay?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! 2 of those 3 years playing for the Conference Championship = "Elite"

    1 2.33%
  • Yes (somewhat): Elite in '09 and '10 but surely not in '11

    1 2.33%
  • No! No Superbowl, not even a division championship.

    15 34.88%
  • No! One legit year in '10 sandwiched between Colts giftwrapping and mediocrity

    26 60.47%
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 271

Thread: The '09 -'11 Jets Elite? Yea or Nay?

  1. -51
    nyjunc's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    29,417
    vCash:
    28751
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    those that know the game take me seriously, I don't worry about clowns who know nothing.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -52
    The New Guy's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    1,892
    vCash:
    65000
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    when did I call the dolphins the laughingstock of the league last year?

    no one talked about the dolphins last year.

    except for the little fact Woody's Jets have been one of the best teams in the AFC the last decade, every team has down years but when your up years are at 7-9 that's a bad franchise.
    The media talked about the Dolphins last year. They talked about how the Dolphins whiffed on Manning, Fisher and Flynn. They talked about the stupid fans that picketed outside of the Dolphins' offices. They talked about the Dolphins a lot, but it wasn't because they were relevant. It was because they were a laughing stock. Ever since the Tebow trade and the Sanchez extension, the Jets have blown by the Dolphins in the laughing stock category. I thought that the Dolphins were getting hammered hard last year, but it was nothing compared to the negative attention the Jets have received and righfully so. The Dolphins don't look so bad now for passing on Fisher and Flynn. The Jets keep making the headlines for all the wrong reasons.

    We've been over the "One of the best teams of the decade" nonsense. What titles did Woody and the Jets win in that time frame? A division title at 9-7! Ross, who you think is a terrible owner, has the same in 4 years. The only difference is the Dolphins won theirs with 11 wins and didn't need to rely on other teams choking. Regardless of what you think the Jets were the last decade, it is irrelevant to what the Jets currently are. Under Rex, the Jets are averaging 8.5 wins per season and it looks like the average will continue to drop.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -53
    nyjunc's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    29,417
    vCash:
    28751
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The New Guy View Post
    The media talked about the Dolphins last year. They talked about how the Dolphins whiffed on Manning, Fisher and Flynn. They talked about the stupid fans that picketed outside of the Dolphins' offices. They talked about the Dolphins a lot, but it wasn't because they were relevant. It was because they were a laughing stock. Ever since the Tebow trade and the Sanchez extension, the Jets have blown by the Dolphins in the laughing stock category. I thought that the Dolphins were getting hammered hard last year, but it was nothing compared to the negative attention the Jets have received and righfully so. The Dolphins don't look so bad now for passing on Fisher and Flynn. The Jets keep making the headlines for all the wrong reasons.

    We've been over the "One of the best teams of the decade" nonsense. What did Woody and the Jets win in that time frame? A division title at 9-7! Ross, who you think is a terrible owner, has the same in 4 years. The only difference is the Dolphins won theirs with 11 wins and didn't need to rely on other teams choking. Regardless of what you think the Jets were the last decade, it is irrelevant to what the Jets currently are. Under Rex, the Jets are averaging 8.5 wins per season and it looks like the average will continue to drop.
    Miami has been a laughingstock on and off the field for a long time but so few people care no one talks about it.

    If you don't want to acknowledge facts that's on you. The facts show us as one of the best teams in the AFC. After the elite teams over that period of time(NE, Ind, Pitt) we are right there w/ Baltimore though they are beginning to seperate and can seperate even more these next 2 weeks.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -54
    The New Guy's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    1,892
    vCash:
    65000
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    Miami has been a laughingstock on and off the field for a long time but so few people care no one talks about it.

    If you don't want to acknowledge facts that's on you. The facts show us as one of the best teams in the AFC. After the elite teams over that period of time(NE, Ind, Pitt) we are right there w/ Baltimore though they are beginning to seperate and can seperate even more these next 2 weeks.
    You are the only one that refuses to acknowledge the facts. It takes more than 4 playoff wins in 2 seasons (70% of the Jets win total of the decade) to be one of the best AFC teams of the decade.

    If you think your team is relevant becasue of all the negative media, then enjoy. I wouldn't want my team to be relevant if all they were known for was being a Circus and the laughing stock of the league. I guess when you can't compete with the Giants winning Super Bowls, you have to do something to remain in the headlines. I hope the Jets keep up the good work.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -55
    SpurzN703's Avatar
    I like your style Dude

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2004
    Posts:
    27,571
    vCash:
    5238
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    oh so there is only 1 elite QB per year and it's the QB that wins the SB? Interesting.
    Those two are also future HOF QBs. You can't be arguing they're elite. Manning and Rodgers are consistently at the top of the QB position every single year. It isn't just about winning a SB.



    Quote Quote  

  6. -56
    nyjunc's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    29,417
    vCash:
    28751
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The New Guy View Post
    You are the only one that refuses to acknowledge the facts. It takes more than 4 playoff wins in 2 seasons (70% of the Jets win total of the decade) to be one of the best AFC teams of the decade.

    If you think your team is relevant becasue of all the negative media, then enjoy. I wouldn't want my team to be relevant if all they were known for was being a Circus and the laughing stock of the league. I guess when you can't compete with the Giants winning Super Bowls, you have to do something to remain in the headlines. I hope the Jets keep up the good work.
    we won 6 playoff games in the last decade and we are 5th in apps and 5th in wins(Bal was tied w/ us until last week). we are in the top 3rd of AFC teams, that's one of the best.

    Quote Originally Posted by PhinzN703 View Post
    Those two are also future HOF QBs. You can't be arguing they're elite. Manning and Rodgers are consistently at the top of the QB position every single year. It isn't just about winning a SB.
    so players don't have to win SBs to be elite but teams have to?
    Quote Quote  

  7. -57
    The New Guy's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    1,892
    vCash:
    65000
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    we won 6 playoff games in the last decade and we are 5th in apps and 5th in wins(Bal was tied w/ us until last week). we are in the top 3rd of AFC teams, that's one of the best.
    The 4 playoff wins in 2 years boosted the Jets in the standings, but that doesn't make them one of the best teams in the AFC in the last decade. It takes a better winning % and actually winning something tangible to be one of the best in a decade. NE, Pitt, Bal, and Indy are the best AFC teams from 2000 to now. All have a winning percentage above .600; won their division multiple times and have actually made it to the Super Bowl. The Jets have been average. Prior to the 4 playoff wins in 2009/10 the Jets only had 2 playoff wins since 2000, which is tied with Tenn and Den and is behind Oak and SD. Do you think Den or Tenn has been one of the best teams the last decade? If no, what if either team wins a few playoff games in the next couple years? How does that change what they did in the past decade? It doesn't.

    In the last 12 years, the Jets rank #8 in winning % (.515) behind NE, Pitt, Bal, Indy, Den, SD and Tenn. The only title they won was a division title in 2002. The 4 playoff wins in 2 seasons does not erase a decade of mediocrity.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -58
    nyjunc's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    29,417
    vCash:
    28751
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The New Guy View Post
    The 4 playoff wins in 2 years boosted the Jets in the standings, but that doesn't make them one of the best teams in the AFC in the last decade. It takes a better winning % and actually winning something tangible to be one of the best in a decade. NE, Pitt, Bal, and Indy are the best AFC teams from 2000 to now. All have a winning percentage above .600; won their division multiple times and have actually made it to the Super Bowl. The Jets have been average. Prior to the 4 playoff wins in 2009/10 the Jets only had 2 playoff wins since 2000, which is tied with Tenn and Den and is behind Oak and SD. Do you think Den or Tenn has been one of the best teams the last decade? If no, what if either team wins a few playoff games in the next couple years? How does that change what they did in the past decade? It doesn't.

    In the last 12 years, the Jets rank #8 in winning % (.515) behind NE, Pitt, Bal, Indy, Den, SD and Tenn. The only title they won was a division title in 2002. The 4 playoff wins in 2 seasons does not erase a decade of mediocrity.
    The 4 playoff wins count, if it was easy every team would have 4 over a 2 year span.

    The win % is affected by QB injuries.

    we made the playoffs in '02, in '03 Chad missed a ton of the year
    we made the playoffs in '04, in '05 we played a 4th string QB most of the year
    we made the playoffs in '06, in '07 Chad got hurt again, Clemens played most of the year

    that affected our win % but we were still 5th in apps and 5th in wins
    Quote Quote  

  9. -59
    SpurzN703's Avatar
    I like your style Dude

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Oct 2004
    Posts:
    27,571
    vCash:
    5238
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    so players don't have to win SBs to be elite but teams have to?
    The two players in question have both won Super Bowls so I don't know what the hell you're talking about. In someone like Dan Marino's case, he was elite b/c he had a million records. Do you disagree Marino was elite? There are variables in ANY discussion.

    ---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    The 4 playoff wins count, if it was easy every team would have 4 over a 2 year span.

    The win % is affected by QB injuries.

    we made the playoffs in '02, in '03 Chad missed a ton of the year
    we made the playoffs in '04, in '05 we played a 4th string QB most of the year
    we made the playoffs in '06, in '07 Chad got hurt again, Clemens played most of the year

    that affected our win % but we were still 5th in apps and 5th in wins
    Great. You're a Top 5 team that hasn't seen a Super Bowl in 40+ years. Remarkable work.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -60
    The New Guy's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    1,892
    vCash:
    65000
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    The 4 playoff wins count, if it was easy every team would have 4 over a 2 year span.

    The win % is affected by QB injuries.

    we made the playoffs in '02, in '03 Chad missed a ton of the year
    we made the playoffs in '04, in '05 we played a 4th string QB most of the year
    we made the playoffs in '06, in '07 Chad got hurt again, Clemens played most of the year

    that affected our win % but we were still 5th in apps and 5th in wins
    It is not easy, but the Jets were very fortunate those two years. I doubt you consider Denver as one of the best teams of the decade, but they have the same amount of playoff apps right now, and could realistically have the same number of playoff wins in a couple of years. You would be forced to consider them one of the best teams in the decade based on playoff wins that came in the last 2 years. That makes no sense. 4 playoff wins in 2 seasons can not change the past.

    There are no excuses when you are trying to argue that your team was one of the best in the decade. If you want to argue that they could have been had Chad not gotten injured, fine. But even with a healthy Chad, the Jets barely made the playoffs only winning more than 9 games just twice. It is not just about qualifying, it is also how you qualified. In most seasons, the difference between the Jets making the playoffs and missing the playoffs came down to other teams choking or not in the last games of the season. That is not how the best teams qualify for the playoffs.

    2001 Clinch on a last second FG (0 playoff wins)
    2002 Needed Miami to lose the final 2 games to qualify (1 playoff win)
    2003 6-10 (no playoffs)
    2004 Needed Buffalo to lose their final game to qualify (1 playoff win)
    2005 4-12 (no playoffs)
    2006 Jets make it on their own for a change. (0 playoff wins)
    2007 4-12 (no playoffs)
    2008 9-7 (no playoffs)

    That is 8 seasons with 4 playoff apps and 2 playoff wins. At this point the Jets are only 2 playoff apps and 2 playoff wins ahead of Miami (who has been awful) in the same time span. No one in their right mind would argue that the Jets had been one of the best during that time. They were slightly above average at best.

    You know the story of 2009. They struggled to win 9 games and had they played a team that was actually trying to win, they wouldn't have made it. Once gifted in, they beat a dead team in Cincy while riding a string of 5 consecutive missed field goals for 2 playoff wins. I give the Jets full credit for 2010 even though they did have a lot of things go their way during the regular season. So, in just 2 seasons the Jets doubled their playoff win total which catapulted them into 5th in playoff wins for the decade. That is great, but 2 seasons doesn't change what happened the past 8 years. 2 seasons can not magically transform the Jets into one of the best AFC teams in the decade.
    Last edited by The New Guy; 01-11-2013 at 12:54 AM.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-31-2013, 12:32 AM
  2. Elite QB
    By jfleag61 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-01-2012, 07:05 PM
  3. Nobody elite!!!!!!!!!
    By normaniii in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-22-2008, 02:23 AM
  4. Should I buy an elite?
    By sirvmac in forum Gaming Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 01:28 PM
  5. FMM: Elite 8!
    By TerryTate in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 04-01-2006, 07:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •