Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

View Poll Results: The '09-'11 Jets Elite? Yea or Nay?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! 2 of those 3 years playing for the Conference Championship = "Elite"

1 2.33%
  • Yes (somewhat): Elite in '09 and '10 but surely not in '11

1 2.33%
  • No! No Superbowl, not even a division championship.

15 34.88%
  • No! One legit year in '10 sandwiched between Colts giftwrapping and mediocrity

26 60.47%
Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: The '09 -'11 Jets Elite? Yea or Nay?

1. -131
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinzN703 View Post
    They're better than you now. It's great the the Jets did what they did for two years b/c you'll always have that to fall back on. The funny part is that it doesn't impress one single person on this site but it makes you feel so alive. That is incredibly weird and sad.
    where have I debated if they are better than us now?

If beating up NE in the div rd on the road doesn't impress fans of a tam that haven't seen a playoff win since 2000 and a div rd playoff win since 1992 I can't help you.
    Quote Quote  

2. -132
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    where have I debated if they are better than us now?

If beating up NE in the div rd on the road doesn't impress fans of a tam that haven't seen a playoff win since 2000 and a div rd playoff win since 1992 I can't help you.
    Now is all that's important. Finishing further than they did twice in 900 years means jack****. Those bastards are in the Super Bowl every year it seems and I'm sick of it.

Quote Quote  

3. -133
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Of course it does, it means you need 1 win for a SB app. MAYBE if we got crushed in the game like Miami in their last 2 title game apps(at home no less) then you could make that argument but we had a lead in the 2nd half.

2009 & 2010

playoff wins
    NY Jets 4
    NE Patriots 0

head to head in postseason
    NY Jets 28
    NE Patriots 21(score closer than game as NE tacked on garbage time TD)

postseason records:

NY Jets 4-2
    NE Patriots 0-2

yeah, NE was clearly better than us
    The Jets lost the game by 13. Miami lost those titles games by 17 and 19. That is only 4 and 6 points more than the Jets loss. It doesn't matter what the score is in the second quarter. All that matters is the final score which was 30-17. That is a pretty convincing win.

Brady was coming back from a knee injury in 2009 and the Patriots were not a great team, but they were still a better team than the Jets. The 09 Jets had a hard time winning 9 games and lost several games to bad teams like 7-9 Miami (twice), 7-9 Jax, 6-10 Buff and lost to a 6-7 Atlanta team with their playoff hopes dwindling. You can point to the playoff records of each team, but that doesn't tell us who the better team was. Not every team faces the same competition in the playoffs. NE had to face Bal in the WC round while the Jets got to face a dead Cincy team. Switch the opponents, and I guarantee it would have been NE advancing and the Jets would have been 1 and done.
    Quote Quote  

4. -134
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The New Guy View Post
    The Jets lost the game by 13. Miami lost those titles games by 17 and 19. That is only 4 and 6 points more than the Jets loss. It doesn't matter what the score is in the second quarter. All that matters is the final score which was 30-17. That is a pretty convincing win.

Brady was coming back from a knee injury in 2009 and the Patriots were not a great team, but they were still a better team than the Jets. The 09 Jets had a hard time winning 9 games and lost several games to bad teams like 7-9 Miami (twice), 7-9 Jax, 6-10 Buff and lost to a 6-7 Atlanta team with their playoff hopes dwindling. You can point to the playoff records of each team, but that doesn't tell us who the better team was. Not every team faces the same competition in the playoffs. NE had to face Bal in the WC round while the Jets got to face a dead Cincy team. Switch the opponents, and I guarantee it would have been NE advancing and the Jets would have been 1 and done.
    The Jets were led Indy in the 2nd half, trailed by a FG entering the 4th and had the ball down a FG near midfield in the 4th.

Miami 1985 vs. NE: 17-7 NE at half, 24-7 NE entering 4th. never got closer than 10 pts, were never in it in the 2nd half.
    Miami 1992 vs. Buf: down 13-3 at half, down 23-3 entering 4th, never got closer than 16 in 2nd half, were never in it in 2nd half.

see the differences?

They were so much better they splti w/ us and we advanced TWO rounds further than them in 2009.

I don't want to hear injury excuses, we had a rookie QB who you guys think sucks.
    Quote Quote  

5. -135
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't want to hear injury excuses, we had a rookie QB who you guys think sucks.
    This is your excuse for the Jets being bad this year. What gives?
    Quote Quote  

6. -136
    Pimpin' ain't easy

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    outside the beltway
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Junc, ALL of your arguments mean absolutely squat in the definition and, ultimately, the popular public opinion of whether or not the Jets are an elite team. They AREN'T. It doesn't matter how selective the margin of data you use or how your 'spin' creates an illusion of grandeur. The Jets are not and have not been an elite team. Elite teams are the 70's Steelers; the 80's Niners and 'Skins; the 90's Cowboys and the 00's Pats. Some may want to include the Packers, Broncos and Ravens in that group but I don't. They were good but not elite. The major difference? All of those team have won mutliple division/conference titles with multiple SB appearances AND wins. The Jets have not. They do not have multiple division/conference titles nor do they have multiple SB apearances or wins. Your points are moot and ineffective and are generally ignored by more than one fan base. Get a grip!
    Quote Quote  

7. -137
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    The Jets were led Indy in the 2nd half, trailed by a FG entering the 4th and had the ball down a FG near midfield in the 4th.

Miami 1985 vs. NE: 17-7 NE at half, 24-7 NE entering 4th. never got closer than 10 pts, were never in it in the 2nd half.
    Miami 1992 vs. Buf: down 13-3 at half, down 23-3 entering 4th, never got closer than 16 in 2nd half, were never in it in 2nd half.

see the differences?

They were so much better they splti w/ us and we advanced TWO rounds further than them in 2009.

It doesn't matter what happens in the first half. What matters is the final score. Being shut out in the second half and losing the game 30-17 is a convincing loss. I'm just giving you my thoughts on why I think NE had a bit of a down year. Forget the injury if you like. It doesn't change anything. NE was still a better team than the Jets that year. Again, teams don't get to face the same competition in the playoffs. Had the Jets faced Bal and NE faced Cincy, which team has more playoff wins?

NE split with Miami that year as well ,and didn't have a playoff win just like Miami. That doesn't mean Miami was on par with NE.
    Quote Quote  

8. -138
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks

It Is What It Is

Some of us may be members of opposing boards, but the only one to have some credibility (although that's been fading fast the last 2 mos) to initiate this poll, verbatim, on TGG is junc. Any one of us outside of a jest fan would invite blowback invalidating the poll.

Bottom-line, if junc has the courage of his alleged convictions that the 09-11 jest were "elite" he will start a poll thread verbatim reflecting his sentiments, of course including option #1 which is exactly what he contended all along. Option #2 actually provides some more "wiggle room" than his inflexible assertions so that's beneficial to the jets fans who might think that, as one did here.

If Junk does not step up to this challenge, he's proving he's just a provocateur and trolling fraud and/or that his nebulously-defined concept of "eliteism" exists only in his own head. Either way, if he sidesteps this challenge, he should just STFU about those teams being "elite" as both he refuses to put his perceived credibility where his mouth is and that notion has been repudiated here unequivocally and definitely.

So is it more than a coincidence that "junk" rhymes with "punk" ???? Remains to be seen
    Last edited by Vaark; 01-16-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Quote  

9. -139
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cbreeden View Post
    Junc, ALL of your arguments mean absolutely squat in the definition and, ultimately, the popular public opinion of whether or not the Jets are an elite team. They AREN'T. It doesn't matter how selective the margin of data you use or how your 'spin' creates an illusion of grandeur. The Jets are not and have not been an elite team. Elite teams are the 70's Steelers; the 80's Niners and 'Skins; the 90's Cowboys and the 00's Pats. Some may want to include the Packers, Broncos and Ravens in that group but I don't. They were good but not elite. The major difference? All of those team have won mutliple division/conference titles with multiple SB appearances AND wins. The Jets have not. They do not have multiple division/conference titles nor do they have multiple SB apearances or wins. Your points are moot and ineffective and are generally ignored by more than one fan base. Get a grip!
    Those teams you mentioned might be more suited to be called dynasties. To me, you can have both dynasties and elite teams. Hell, I've also said in the past that the Bills going to the SB 864 times straight made them a unique elite team despite never winning.

There's a ton of variables.
    Quote Quote  

10. -140
    Pimpin' ain't easy

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    outside the beltway
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinzN703 View Post
    Those teams you mentioned might be more suited to be called dynasties. To me, you can have both dynasties and elite teams. Hell, I've also said in the past that the Bills going to the SB 864 times straight made them a unique elite team despite never winning.

There's a ton of variables.
    I thought of that while I was typing but like you said there are a ton of variables. I guess you could also include the 70's Vikings (consumate bridesmaid) and the 80's Broncos for 'best of the rest'. IMO only elite teams have hardware. Hence, no Jets!
    Quote Quote