Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

View Poll Results: The '09-'11 Jets Elite? Yea or Nay?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! 2 of those 3 years playing for the Conference Championship = "Elite"

1 2.33%
  • Yes (somewhat): Elite in '09 and '10 but surely not in '11

1 2.33%
  • No! No Superbowl, not even a division championship.

15 34.88%
  • No! One legit year in '10 sandwiched between Colts giftwrapping and mediocrity

26 60.47%
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The '09 -'11 Jets Elite? Yea or Nay?

1. -71
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Ford LogoTannehill 172013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    That particular year we were elite, we just didn't follow up w/ playoff success immediately after like we did w/ '09 & '10
    The 1998 team was not elite. If either Jet teams were to be elite it would be the 2009 and 2010 teams only b/c of their back-to-back run. Neither three teams are elite IMO. Do you consider the 1984 Dolphins elite? I don't.

Quote Quote  

2. -72
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinzN703 View Post
    The 1998 team was not elite. If either Jet teams were to be elite it would be the 2009 and 2010 teams only b/c of their back-to-back run. Neither three teams are elite IMO. Do you consider the 1984 Dolphins elite? I don't.
    Miami 1984 was was w/o a doubt elite. From about '81 -'85 they were elite
    Quote Quote  

3. -73
    Pimpin' ain't easy

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    outside the beltway
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm curious, how do you NOT consider the '84 Dolphins elite? 14-2; SB appearance; most points in team history (513); Marino setting multiple records.
    Quote Quote  

4. -74
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo
    Miami 1984 was was w/o a doubt elite. From about '81 -'85 they were elite
    Of course they were. They went to 2 SUPER BOWLS, WINNING 2 AFCCGs in the process, had several 12+ win seasons, including that spectacular 14-2 season of 1984 where their offense shattered NFL records and went to the SB. That team wouldve won most SBs. Unfortunately for them they ran into what could be argued to be the greatest team ever, the 84 49ers who went 15-1, losing only by a FG and boasting the top defense in the league.

Also during that span they were the lone team to defeat the 85 Bears who some consider to have the greatest single season defense ever and who also went 15-1. No question that phins team was elite.

Going 9-7 and 11-5, winning no division titles, and getting destroyed in the AFCCG twice hardly qualifies as elite. Especially when you consider the team had no business in the playoffs the first season because it was gift wrapped and they really only defeated one good team in the playoffs each season. Both 1st round games the Jests won were vs. teams that just werent any good and the divisional round wins required a great deal of luck.
    Quote Quote  

5. -75
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks

PATHETIC

In the more competitive post-merger era, "elite" teams have both pinky rings (division titles) and SB rings (winning at least 3 games in the post season). No hardware = blue balls + fantasizing about what could have been, certainly not getting humiliated in the last 31 minutes by the team that decided to give them the bathroom pass.....and that's all.

DWade "Loyalty Over Royalty"
    Quote Quote  

6. -76
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cbreeden View Post
    I'm curious, how do you NOT consider the '84 Dolphins elite? 14-2; SB appearance; most points in team history (513); Marino setting multiple records.
    I've stated here that for a team to be elite they need to win a Super Bowl and have success in seasons after said SB win. The 1972 and 1973 team were elite b/c they won the Super Bowl in back to back years and had double-digit win season from 1970-75.

I'm not saying the 1984 Dolphins weren't a good team but I have to stick to my definition of what elite is to me.

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WVDolphan View Post
    Of course they were. They went to 2 SUPER BOWLS, WINNING 2 AFCCGs in the process, had several 12+ win seasons, including that spectacular 14-2 season of 1984 where their offense shattered NFL records and went to the SB. That team wouldve won most SBs. Unfortunately for them they ran into what could be argued to be the greatest team ever, the 84 49ers who went 15-1, losing only by a FG and boasting the top defense in the league.

Also during that span they were the lone team to defeat the 85 Bears who some consider to have the greatest single season defense ever and who also went 15-1. No question that phins team was elite.

Going 9-7 and 11-5, winning no division titles, and getting destroyed in the AFCCG twice hardly qualifies as elite. Especially when you consider the team had no business in the playoffs the first season because it was gift wrapped and they really only defeated one good team in the playoffs each season. Both 1st round games the Jests won were vs. teams that just werent any good and the divisional round wins required a great deal of luck.
    I would've loved to have been conscious to what football was back then but being 3-4 years old I wasn't mature enough.
    Quote Quote  

7. -77
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    Quote Originally Posted by WVDolphan View Post

They didn't have the Brady Pats to worry about, if they did they wouldn't have won div titles or made SBs either.

I've stated here that for a team to be elite they need to win a Super Bowl and have success in seasons after said SB win. The 1972 and 1973 team were elite b/c they won the Super Bowl in back to back years and had double-digit win season from 1970-75.

I'm not saying the 1984 Dolphins weren't a good team but I have to stick to my definition of what elite is to me.

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

I would've loved to have been conscious to what football was back then but being 3-4 years old I wasn't mature enough.
    I like you, I think you are a good poster but one area you go off course is your definition of elite whicch we have discussed numerous times.
    Quote Quote  

8. -78
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like you, I think you are a good poster but one area you go off course is your definition of elite whicch we have discussed numerous times.
    You are always wrong about this. Explain to me how I've veered off my initial definition of what elite is. I have always said a team needs to WIN a Super Bowl first and then have success in later seasons. You had argued with me that the 2008, 2009, and 2010 Giants didn't have any success when they went 30-18 which I considered having success (not ultimate success of course as I've said before too).

You're just pissy b/c my definition of elite doesn't match what the Jets did in 2009 and 2010.
    Quote Quote  

9. -79
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    You are always wrong about this. Explain to me how I've veered off my initial definition of what elite is. I have always said a team needs to WIN a Super Bowl first and then have success in later seasons. You had argued with me that the 2008, 2009, and 2010 Giants didn't have any success when they went 30-18 which I considered having success (not ultimate success of course as I've said before too).

You're just pissy b/c my definition of elite doesn't match what the Jets did in 2009 and 2010.
    your defintiion is silly, how can a team win a SB and not be elite? why do they have to wait 3-4 years? and again using your defintion the 2011 Giants are not elite b/c following the SB they missed the playoffs, the '07 team was not elite b/c they missed 2 of the next 3 postseasons and didn't win a playoff game. That's silly.
    Quote Quote  

10. -80
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    your defintiion is silly, how can a team win a SB and not be elite? why do they have to wait 3-4 years? and again using your defintion the 2011 Giants are not elite b/c following the SB they missed the playoffs, the '07 team was not elite b/c they missed 2 of the next 3 postseasons and didn't win a playoff game. That's silly.
    You disagreeing with me doesn't mean I'm "off course is your definition of elite which we have discussed numerous times."

I had said the 2011 Giants were elite b/c in winning the Super Bowl in 2011 they had won twice in five years and in between SB titles they went 30-18. To me, PhinzN703, that is elite. MY opinion.

Here's an example: 2002 Tampa Bay Bucs. They won the SB and went 12-20 the following two seasons. If they were elite, why would they go 12-20?
    Quote Quote