Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Defensive Tackle!

1. -11
    It is what it is

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2413fanphins View Post
    Not sure why people think you just slide odrick over and problem solved. So the plan at dt, is to roll with randall odrick and soliai??? What if soliaia bolts after next year when hes a free agent?

If dt is bpa at 12, than take it. Star @12, is a pretty damn good pick.

Too many people here assume that we draft a wr or cb regardless of value @12.

This isnt getting fixed in one year. Piss on ireland all you want, its a new offense and defense with new coaches, your looking to improve next year, and we got.guys that dont fit and need replaced.

Its not like we draft a wr and cb in the draft and suddenly we are the.favorites to win the division.
    We are looking for more than improvement next season, we're looking for playoffs. Perhaps spending a first round pick on a WR/CB won't make or break us, but i can confidently tell you what were working with now won't cut it next year. Since DT is Odrick's more natural position, the plan should be to slide him inside and pencil Vernon to start on the outside at the moment. You can build depth in the middle rounds and you should when you have such blatant holes such as WR.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not sure why people think you just slide odrick over and problem solved. So the plan at dt, is to roll with randall odrick and soliai??? What if soliaia bolts after next year when hes a free agent?

This isnt getting fixed in one year. Piss on ireland all you want, its a new offense and defense with new coaches, your looking to improve next year, and we got.guys that dont fit and need replaced.

Its not like we draft a wr and cb in the draft and suddenly we are the.favorites to win the division.
    Thank you for understanding and not assuming I'm one of Ireland's butt boys. This draft is stacked at DT, and with 29 year old Starks contract expiring and 29 year old Paul Soliai's expiring next year, it'd be smart to invest at the position.

Besides, all the areas where we need playmakers (WR, TE) are reasonably thin in talent this year, so there's no point reaching on a player. I'm not ready to reach for Eifert at 12, let alone Keenan Allen or Tavon Austin.

Another point, look at the Giants. At the 2010 draft did they run with their already solid D-line, or did they take Jason Pierre Paul because he was the BPA?
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    The Fluke

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

That might be an excuse if this wasn't his fifth year. Also, elite talent transcends systems. We have very little elite talent.

Valandui's Weekly Music Video

Matthew Santos: Shadows in a Shoebox
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaV9yPc_EYw
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Central iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Very good point, and plays exactly into my point. While it isnt irelands second year, it will be philbins second year. We dont ground and pound and wildcat anymore, we arent looking to burn clock and settle for fieldgoals like with sparano. When philbin came on board, we all would have been smart to hit reset right than and there, because we need guys that fit philbins sytem, and weve been drafting guys.the.previous years for sparano and co.We dont have much elite talent, your right there. So i ask you, if lotulelei is 12th board on your board and keenan allen in 30rth bpa on yourboard are you telling me you take keenan allen because we need a wr?
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by antillj94 View Post
    If Randy Starks were to become a free agent, who would be against drafting someone like Star Lotulelei or Jonathan Hankins? Either one fits well in the 4-3 and would be great alongside Soliai.

Note: We'd probably have to trade up to get one of these guys, but they are at the top of a stacked DT class.
    No. Odrick would slide over alongside Soliai. Lotuleilei looks like a great player but honestly, taking a DT at 12 (or even trading up for one!) seems like a bit of a luxury type pick for a team with holes the size of the Grand Canyon that need to be filled.

Question for you, though. If you are advocating trading up for a DT, why not just re-sign Starks at that point? It would cost less.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Central iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterNorth View Post
    No. Odrick would slide over alongside Soliai. Lotuleilei looks like a great player but honestly, taking a DT at 12 (or even trading up for one!) seems like a bit of a luxury type pick for a team with holes the size of the Grand Canyon that need to be filled.

Question for you, though. If you are advocating trading up for a DT, why not just re-sign Starks at that point? It would cost less.
    What happens next year if soliai takes a deal with a different team?

Coyle said in an online article i read, hes not sure odricks best position is dt.... its not a foregone conclusion that odrick just slides inside... i need to find that article
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    stars not getting there...the smart play for miami if we lose starks would be kick odrick inside and draft a de with a high pick...if not the top one...someone to compete with shelby and vernon and in a rotation...that's what i would do...shelby is already proving to be a solid run defender in a rotation...we need more pass rush impact off the edge
    I don't think he makes it out of the top 25, but Okafor is an interesting guy, and I think he'd do well opposite Wake. Good frame. Good athlete. Makes plays. Can speed or power rush. Has a pretty solid grasp on leverage. I wouldn't hate him at 12, but there are guys I'd prefer.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    At this point, I'm for adding elite talent at all positions. I absolutely wouldn't mind Lotulelei at #12 if the board comes out that way. Teams get in trouble when they start drafting for need in the top 2 rounds. I take talent every time. Lotulelei and Solai up front not only improves an already stout run defense, but also the inside pass rush. Better pass rush = Better coverage on the back end.

If I were to guess where Ireland is going with the 1st round pick, it would be best available between DE and CB. WR shouldn't even be a consideration at #12.
    Quote Quote