Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: No love for Daniel Thomas

1. -11
    The man, the myth, the legend

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Illinois
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datruth55 View Post
    You say he's done well on a team with bad blocking but in two seasons he has 256 carries for 906 yards (3.5 ypc) and 4 rushing TDs. Behind that same line Reggie Bush (who everyone said couldn't run between the tackles...myself included) has 443 carries for 2072 yards (4.7 ypc) and 12 rushing TDs. Lamar Miller in his rookie season 51 carries for 250 yards (4.9 ypc) and 1 rushing TD. So if the blocking is bad how is it that two other running backs behind the same line can average more than a full yard per carry better than Thomas? 3.5 ypc is awful, the NFL league average is 4.1 ypc.
    And THAT, is DA TRUTH!!!
    400x300
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    C'mon Dolphins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wilmington, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by datruth55 View Post
    You say he's done well on a team with bad blocking but in two seasons he has 256 carries for 906 yards (3.5 ypc) and 4 rushing TDs. Behind that same line Reggie Bush (who everyone said couldn't run between the tackles...myself included) has 443 carries for 2072 yards (4.7 ypc) and 12 rushing TDs. Lamar Miller in his rookie season 51 carries for 250 yards (4.9 ypc) and 1 rushing TD. So if the blocking is bad how is it that two other running backs behind the same line can average more than a full yard per carry better than Thomas? 3.5 ypc is awful, the NFL league average is 4.1 ypc.
    That is not very good logic, When you are getting most of your carries when its 3rd and 1 or on the goal line you are not going to gain a high yard per carry.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fins1971 View Post
    That is not very good logic, When you are getting most of your carries when its 3rd and 1 or on the goal line you are not going to gain a high yard per carry.

Show your proof that DT got most of his carries when it was those two scenarios. Calling a little BS on that one, sorry.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    The man, the myth, the legend

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Illinois
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That's exactly my problem though. I don't want a short yardage back to be my primary starter. He has had a few opportunities to be the featured back due to injury or other reasons and he hasn't 'wowed' many people. He's a decent back, but not someone I would want to carry the load. As another poster said, let him finish his contract out. If he doesn't make improvements in the next two years, part ways with him...
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like him, but he gets injured a lot
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He's sticking around until his contract expires anyway, and he is for the most part replaceable....no big issue with him as long as he keeps the ball off the turf. That's how someone in his position loses his job,
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    The world is your's...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    LI, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Lamar Miller has already shown me way more than DT in regards to pure talent and DT is the definition of run of the mill. Just nothing special whatsoever.

"I don't have pet peeves, I have psychotic ****ing hatred"
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    C'mon Dolphins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wilmington, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiFinsJC View Post
    Show your proof that DT got most of his carries when it was those two scenarios. Calling a little BS on that one, sorry.
    DT had 91 carries on the year.

Of those carries he rushed 11 times for 18 yards when down and distance was less than 2 yards.
    Additionally he had another 15 carries for 24 yards within the opponents 10 yard line.
    So 26 carries for 42 yards in situtations where you don't expect the average gain.

That is 26 of 91 carries (28.5% of the time).
    Takeaway those carries and DT average goes from 3.6 up to 4.35 yards per carry

By comparison Reggie Bush had 227 carries

Of those carries he rushed 23 times for 85 yards when down and distance was less than 2 yards.
    Additionally he had another 7 carries for 14 yards within the opponents 10 yard line.
    So 30 carries for 99 yards in situtations where you don't expect the average gain.

That is 30 of 227 carries (13.2% of the time).
    Takeaway those carries and RB average goes from 4.3 up to 4.5 yards per carry

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits...88/reggie-bush

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits.../daniel-thomas

There is that good enough proof for you?
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    C'mon Dolphins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wilmington, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinoEqualsGod View Post
    That's exactly my problem though. I don't want a short yardage back to be my primary starter. He has had a few opportunities to be the featured back due to injury or other reasons and he hasn't 'wowed' many people. He's a decent back, but not someone I would want to carry the load. As another poster said, let him finish his contract out. If he doesn't make improvements in the next two years, part ways with him...
    DT is NOT our primary starter and no where in this post did I suggest that he should be. He's a good second back that can get some tuff yards when you need them. That's all.
    Like you said keep him around until his contract expires and then move on or resign if he improves.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoRadioactiveCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    4 rushing TDs on 256 carries...how many attempts does it take him to get in the end zone? How many of the 256 were near the goal line? Where is your logic coming from or are you just making stuff up?

In the first game against the Jets Reggie got hurt and missed most of the game, right? Thomas had 19 carries for 69 yards...3.6 ypc. Those 19 carries weren't all goal line carries or would you like to make everyone believe they were. Against Cincy Reggie got pulled for fumbling, Thomas had 10 carries for 29 yards...were all of those at the goal line? In the second game against the Jets he had 15 carries for 42 yards...2.8 ypc.

Are you really going to try and say that most of the 256 carries Thomas had were near the goal line when he only scored 4 TDs on the season...if that's true then he's a woefully ineffective goal line RB. Either way he's not very good.
    Quote Quote