Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Would u take Patterson at 12 and trade back into 1st for a DE since draft deep at DE?

1. -41
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    I agree with this.

Pass rushers Miami should consider at #42 overall include Cornellius Carridine and Corey Lemonier. I would be happy with either player. Both are great value for what they are.

This wide receivers class is so deep, if you've already got the guy at #12 in Patterson that you think provides the same spark for your offense that Julio Jones provides in Atlanta, and in free agency you've either re-signed Brian Hartline or decided to upgrade to Greg Jennings, then you could even wait a little while before you start rolling the dice on some other guys. For example, you could wait until the 4th round or so and roll the dice on STRENGTH guys like Marcus Davis or Chris Harper. These are guys that have a history of physically wrestling the ball in the air away from defenders, with strong hands, and then showing strength and power in their running after the catch.
    Yeah, it's just hard for me to emotionally get on board with Carridine in the first two rounds, knowing he's coming off serious late-season injury. I know that the value is outstanding, and if it weren't for the injury, I would have liked him at 12. So I'd like the pick. I just wouldn't excited about it. As for WR, I'm at a point where I want every player I add at the position to be dynamic in some way. I think you're missing out on one of the key strengths of this draft class by passing up the WR's who should be there in the 2nd and 3rd Rounds (some may fall to the 4th, who knows?). I saw Lemonier twice this season. I don't remember the other teams. But he looked very good (I think I told hoops that something about him reminds me of Wake - though he's not as explosive) in the very game and mediocre in the 2nd. I've been meaning to revisit him.
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Which is why people should give thought to the possibility of drafting Cordarrelle Patterson AND another player a little later on.
    This is my point exactly. As far as WRs, it seems only Patterson is looking like top 25 talent. The other WRs look to be flirting with the 2nd round. So teams will likely not allow Patterson out of the mid 1st round. But since there seems to be a good 8 DEs looking top 25, not all 8 will be taken and one or two may slip into the late 1st, especially if we select Patterson too. So I'm entertaining Patterson at 12 and trading up from the 2nd into the late 1st for that DE to secure both positions of need. To me, added pass rush and a 2nd or 3rd round CB to compete with Smith, Marshall, Patterson, Carroll, Stanford and i expect us to double up on CB in that 3rd or 4th round to improve our secondary. Not to mention, Philbin has hinted multiple times that he doesn't think it's all on the secondary, their woes. I even recall him "defend" them a few times. Then, I know people keep mentioning TE but I'm almost as certain as we'll sign either Wallace or Jennings that we'll be signing a Cook or one of the TEs in FA. Wouldn't even be surprised if we trade a mid to late round pick for Finley either.
    Last edited by MrEd; 01-13-2013 at 04:38 PM.
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfinzfan View Post
    I have a strong feeling this whole thing is moot. Im thinking Wallace or Jennings signs here for sure so we can go BPA at one...im actually positive its what happens. Then a WR later say 2nd or early 3rd...
    No, nyfinzfan, my scenario/question of picking Patterson at 12 (includes signing Wallace or Jennings). I can not make myself clearer that I don't expect Ireland to waste money re-signing Hartline. I really believe Miami is upgrading both starting WR spots. Hartline's money is better spent signing a TE like Cook. Signing Wallace or Jennings is not only an expected outcome imo it's a no brainer. But I'm of the school of thought that Miami is not just signing a FA WR and TE to upgrade both positions, but drafting Hartline's upgrade as well.
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    we'll know more after the combine. Still too much player movement to know for sure
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Carradine is the premier DE in the field, IMO. I just think we can't miss him, wherever we take him.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. - S. Beckett
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Which is why people should give thought to the possibility of drafting Cordarrelle Patterson AND another player a little later on.
    maybe patterson and hunter? i also have a feeling that hunter might light up the combine, i dont know if anyone else feels the same way about him.
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    There's no question that Keenan Allen plays the WR position better than Patterson does right now, although Patterson is the superior playmaker. Patterson was the best playmaker in the SEC during his first season playing at that level. The reasons why should be fairly obvious even to those who only watch 5 minutes worth. He's a special talent.

However, he also has issues that spook me a little, both on and off the field.

I'm not sure I'd take any WR in the top 15 of this draft, but as I said a while back, it would certainly be Patterson if I were to go that route. If I'm going to take that risk, I'm going to take it on the kid that I believe is the most uniquely talented.... and that kid is without question Cordarrelle Patterson. There's no doubt in my mind whatsoever on that.
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    There's no question that Keenan Allen plays the WR position better than Patterson does right now, although Patterson is the superior playmaker. Patterson was the best playmaker in the SEC during his first season playing at that level. The reasons why should be fairly obvious even to those who only watch 5 minutes worth. He's a special talent.

I'm not sure I'd take any WR in the top 15 of this draft, but as I said a while back, it would certainly be Patterson if I were to go that route. If I'm going to take that risk, I'm going to take it on the kid that I believe is the most uniquely talented.... and that kid is without question Cordarrelle Patterson. There's no doubt in my mind whatsoever on that.
    And exactly what Ireland, Ross, and Philbin have stated we are targeting......"playmakers".
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post

Slimm, haven't heard your thoughts on Hopkins. Where does he fall into the mix for you?
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Miami let a rookie QB start last season. They could go with rookie WR's to build with Tannehil next season. I could see Miami taking Patterson/Allen in the 1st and Hopkins/Woods/Bailey in the 2nd.
    Quote Quote