Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Monday press conference scheduled to address future of Sun Life Stadium

1. -21
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If we're getting rid of it I hope it stays up a few more weeks, like my Christmas tree
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Myers
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The stadium is structurally fine. No need to knock it down. Just gut it out and redue the seating and put some kind of awnings for shade over the stands.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by z926538 View Post
    Absolute waste of time. After what the Marlins did last year to the City of Miami with the player salary dump it will be at least a generation before any sports franchise in South Florida gets public money for a stadium or arena. Joe Robbie used his own money to build his stadium. Mickey Arison used his own money to build his arena. Ross is supposed to be a billionaire and a builder. Let him put together a private money package to build the infrastructure he requires to run his business. Frankly, I am tired of this crony capitalism where the rich steal from the poor and middle class to pad their own pockets.
    Somebody correct me if I am wrong but the aaa wasn't paid for by the heat group or the arisons.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Melrose, MA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast View Post
    Somebody correct me if I am wrong but the aaa wasn't paid for by the heat group or the arisons.
    I believe it was at least partially publicly funded, thanks to a referendum in the mid-90's.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LandShark13 View Post
    Well, if getting a new stadium isn't going to happen for a "loooooong" time then its not a waste of time nor money to improve what we have.

Miami will most likely still lose bids. Even with these so called upgrades because the stadium is becoming obsolete. I don't understand why Miami had to put up ugly canopies to host a Super Bowl yet open door stadiums like the giants stadium gets a bid no problem.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolph N.Fan View Post
    Miami will most likely still lose bids. Even with these so called upgrades because the stadium is becoming obsolete. I don't understand why Miami had to put up ugly canopies to host a Super Bowl yet open door stadiums like the giants stadium gets a bid no problem.
    Ross is probably banking on those overhangs to entice fans to attend more regular season games given there would be a exponential increase in shaded seats
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GulfCoast View Post
    My mistake -- it would appear there were some hotel tax funds in Dade that augmented the money that Arison put up for the AAA.

My main point remains: Ross is a billionaire builder. If anyone can put together a private financing package it would be him. I'd rather see our tax funds used to improve our public education system than to be given to billionaires to run their hobbies.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Finfanforever

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St. Petersburg, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    How about a wrecking ball and bulldozers and build a futuristic "Orange Bowl" and get the damn hex off this franchise!
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by z926538 View Post
    My mistake -- it would appear there were some hotel tax funds in Dade that augmented the money that Arison put up for the AAA.

My main point remains: Ross is a billionaire builder. If anyone can put together a private financing package it would be him. I'd rather see our tax funds used to improve our public education system than to be given to billionaires to run their hobbies.
    I'm not fully versed in the matter really. This from the Sun Sentinel (looks like Arison put up some money)

Christened Dec. 31, 1999 with a concert by Gloria Estefan, American Airlines Arena is home to the NBA's Miami Heat and a venue for concerts, family shows, and theatrical performances. The modern arena, designed by Miami architecture firm Arquitectonica and arena designers Heinlein & Schrock, is located at 601 Biscayne Blvd., and overlooks Biscayne Bay in downtown Miami. The $213 million American Airlines Arena, owned by Miami-Dade County, was the result of years of political wrangling and disputes between Miami Heat owner Micky Arison and H. Wayne Huizenga, owner of the NHL's Florida Panthers, whose teams shared the Heat's original home, Miami Arena. Both team owners decided to abandon the pink oval arena less than a decade after it opened because it didn't have revenue-generating luxury suites and club seats. The two owners initially planned to share a new home in Broward County, but Miami-Dade County business and political leaders urged the Heat to stay in Miami and a bayside arena plan was forged in March 1996 that relied on a combination of private money, hotel taxes and a state sales tax rebate to pay for the building. But just days before Miami-Dade County voters were to consider a ballot measure on the plan, a new deal was struck with Miami-Dade County newly elected mayor, Alex Penelas, who had campaigned against public financing for the arena. The new plan called for the Heat to cover most of the financing with the help of a $60 million state sales tax rebate and the county kicking in $6.4 million a year for arena maintenance and operation. The county also paid $37 million to the city for the land. The deal required voters to vote No on the referendum and on Nov. 5, 1996, voters rejected the measure by a 65 percent to 35 percent vote. In October 1997, American Airlines purchased the naming rights to the arena for $42 million over 20 years. Ground was broken in January 1998. On Nov. 13, ironworkers cutting steel accidentally sparked a blaze during construction when molten metal fell on plywood. The fire caused only superficial damage. American Airlines Arena, which seats 19,600 for basketball games, includes 20 center court suites each with balconies, 54 loge premium seats, and six exclusive Starbox suites located under the lower bowl seating that come with seats on the court. It opened on New Year's Eve in 1999 with Estefan's concert and the first Heat game in the building was held on Jan. 2, 2000. It served as home to the WNBA's Miami Sol from 2000 until 2002, when the team folded. Madonna, U2, Cher, the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Britney Spears, Shakira and Phish are among the acts that have played the arena. The building has also hosted the Harlem Globetrotters, Disney on Ice, WWE and the Wiggles. The arena played host to the 2004 and 2005 MTV Music Video Awards. It can be transformed into the Waterfront Theatre for smaller concerts and theatrical performances for up to 5,600 patrons. The Heat won the NBA Championship in 2006, playing NBA Finals games 3, 4, and 5 at American Airlines Arena, before winning the championship in Dallas in Game 6. The arena is scheduled to host the first and second rounds of the NCAA men's basketball tournament in March 2009
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Super Bowls are are NOT awarded to Stadiums, they are made to cities/communities, and they are not awarded solely on the condition/comparison between the stadiums. Other factors are almost as important, and those other factors together are MORE important. The city, hotels, weather, venues for ancillary events, tourist attractions, city image, ect, ect.....
    Quote Quote