Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: After watching that great game tonight Ravens vs Broncos. We really need....

1. -41
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

FH

Quote Originally Posted by z926538 View Post
    My point is that we don't get to judge quarterbacks outside of the teams that surround them. This is a team game not an individual sport. You can be Jerry Rice but if Mark buttfumble is throwing you the ball you probably won't make the HOF. While I would like to believe that putting Marino on the 49er dynasty teams would make those teams even better, we will unfortunately never know that to be a fact. So you can't compare RT against Flacco without considering the talent around him.

By having Marino (the best quarterback in the league at his time) the Dolphins were just quite good enough to never have the top draft picks they needed to adequately improve the rest of the team to be Super Bowl caliber. Flacco may not be great, but he does have a history of consistently making the playoffs and winning games there. It has been so long since the Dolphins have had anything similar that the majority of the members of this board are too young to even remember it.

So, until RT and his supporting cast prove otherwise by consistently making the playoffs and winning in the playoffs, I will continue to be jealous of teams that have a quarterback (and associated team) who can get to the playoffs and consistently win there.
    For the most part I agree with what you are saying. For example, I'd rather have the ONLY undefeated team, but if you ask me whether I would prefer Hall of Fame Bob Griese or Hall of Fame Dan Marino, I'd pick Marino as a player but the 1972 team. I think we can both agree that Marino was better than Griese.

By the win/loss/team achievement model, Griese's team was better than Montana's, and I suspect that if Rice, Taylor and Craig had left for the World Football League, Montana's legacy would.have been quite a bit more modest. In fact, even after the NFL started to figure out how to play the WCO San Francisco had great success with the ex-Tampa Bay QB Steve Young. Still, neither San Francisco QB could manage an undefeated season, so I guess Montana/Young isn't as good as Griese/Morall. Unless I missed.something, WINNING All of the games including the Super Bowl (sorry Brady, that's gotta hurt) is still the best.

I don't think we are really disagreeing honestly, it's all about the team and winning. But IMHO we can judge a single player in a team setting by more than simply the team performance. But, it's all good.
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hey Tim Tebows brother is throwing it back at Denver.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...6727--nfl.html

d-1
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    I don't think we are really disagreeing honestly, it's all about the team and winning. But IMHO we can judge a single player in a team setting by more than simply the team performance. But, it's all good.
    I agree. It is absolutely all about team and winning.

My problem with this line of discussion is that I don't have enough history on RT to know what he might do with Ravens style talent. I can mentally make the Marino/Montana comparison and imagine the results if they had swapped teams. I know what we have with Flacco on the Ravens and can guess at the results if he were on the Dolphins. With RT I can't make a good guess. And since team and winning is all that matters, until RT is surrounded by enough talent to be a consistent winner, it's all academic...
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    old pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    windermere
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by russianbear View Post
    I don't think he implied Flacco as an elite QB. I agree that he is SOLID, but his consistent success is evident of someone beyond Dilfer, Williams, Rypien, etc. The Torrey Smith TD (both of them actually) were GREAT balls, yea Torrey Smith moss'd Champ, but that ball was right where it needed to be. He did underthrow Jones but he also threw that ball farther than MANY QB's in the league can even throw. He has a gun, and pushes those limits. I'd say Eli Manning throws more under-thrown balls that are come back to by receivers than Flacco, and he's still considered elite. Flacco is growing/developing and I think his only serious concern is his lack of fire and leadership.
    and i agree that knee to end regulation was an awful move
    Disagree. Rypien is a good comparison. He was also a strong armed QB surrounded by a good team with a good coach, but he was never among the elites of that era despite winning a SB with the Redskins. Any of the top 1/2 QB's in the league will make great throws from time to time.
    In fact, Tannehill made a difficult and beautiful throw to Binns the final week that should have resulted in a TD, but the ball was dropped. That's my point.
    [SIGPIC]The cynic knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing
    -Oscar Wilde
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The receivers made Joe Flacco look like a badass. They bailed him out on like 5 bad throws that went for over 20 yards. Torrey Smith cut in front of the defender on his 2nd TD. Just before that Pitta and Boldin made crazy catches (Boldin's possibly prevented an INT). And later in the game Boldin bailed him out on another deep pass. Let's trade away the team for Megatron lol (jk guys).
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Strangeworld View Post
    Too bad Flacco made throws that Tanny wouldn't dream of
    Bold statement when you talking about a rookie with 19 starts.. Against some who has been in the NFL for a few years.. And last time I check Flacco has the WRs who can go get the ball.. Your telling me Flacco would do as well in Miami With our WRs? Lmao.. Stupid post!
    Deputy Shaw
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    C'mon Dolphins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wilmington, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wish we would have went after Anquan Boldin back in 2009 rather than going for Brandon Marshall in 2010

Bolden has been on 2 teams and both make the playoff regularly.
    His playoff record is now 6-3

Dude makes plays when it counts.

He is a free agent after this year.
    Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by z926538 View Post
    I agree. It is absolutely all about team and winning.

My problem with this line of discussion is that I don't have enough history on RT to know what he might do with Ravens style talent. I can mentally make the Marino/Montana comparison and imagine the results if they had swapped teams. I know what we have with Flacco on the Ravens and can guess at the results if he were on the Dolphins. With RT I can't make a good guess. And since team and winning is all that matters, until RT is surrounded by enough talent to be a consistent winner, it's all academic...
    Fair enough. I hope and expect that Ireland will make surrounding Tannehill with talent the focus of our off season. Then we can start comparing apples to apples.
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fountain (Colorado Springs), CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Strangeworld View Post
    Too bad Flacco made throws that Tanny wouldn't dream of
    Ummmm...are you really comparing Flacco, who's been in the league five years, with our rookie Tannehill? How do you KNOW Tannehill wouldn't dream of making certain throws....?

Give him some time, sheesh...
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albany, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We need WRs!?!?!? Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea
    Quote Quote