Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dan Le Batard: Jason Taylor’s pain shows NFL’s world of hurt

1. -11
    FinHeaven's Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolinia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Damn.

Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Your hear about the concussions. Rarely hear about these kinds of injuries. While he played I remember hearing abiut some weird calf injury. Had no idea it was this intense.

Crazy part is he kept playing after all this.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Ground and Pound

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    And players skip games for some soft **** sometimes too...
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWarriorFins View Post
    Moderator's Warning:
    Please only post a couple of paragraphs and the link. Please don't post the whole article. Thanks.

Wow check this out

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/1...#storylink=cpy

As America’s most popular sport encounters a liability problem … as gladiator Junior Seau kills himself with a shotgun blast to the chest and leaves his damaged brain to study … as awareness and penalties increase around an NFL commissioner confronting the oxymoronic task of making a violent game safe … and as the rules change but the culture really doesn’t … we think we know this forever-growing monster we are cheering on Sundays. But we don’t. We have no earthly idea.
    Dolphins legend Jason Taylor, for example, grew up right before our eyes, from a skinny Akron kid to a future Hall of Famer, his very public path out in front of those lights for 15 years. But take a look at what was happening in the dark. He was just a few blessed hours from having his leg amputated. He played games, plural, with a hidden and taped catheter running from his armpit to his heart. His calf was oozing blood for so many months, from September of one year to February of another, that he had to have the equivalent of a drain installed. This is a story of the private pain endured in pursuit of public glory, just one man’s broken body on a battlefield littered with thousands of them. As death and depression and dementia addle football’s mind, persuading some of the gladiators to kill themselves as a solution to end all the pain, and as the media finally shines a light on football’s concussed skull at the very iceberg-top of the problem, we begin the anatomy of Taylor’s story at the very bottom … with his feet.
    He had torn tissues in the bottom of both of them. But he wanted to play. He always wanted to play. So he went to a private room inside the football stadium.
    “Like a dungeon,” he says now. “One light bulb swaying back and forth. There was a damp, musty smell. It was like the basement in Pulp Fiction.”
    The doctors handed him a towel. For his mouth. To keep him from biting his tongue. And to muffle his screaming.
    “It is the worst ever,” he says. “By far. All the nerve endings in your feet.”
    That wasn’t the ailment. No, that was the cure. A needle has to go in that foot, and there aren’t a lot of soft, friendly places for a big needle in a foot. That foot pain is there for a reason, of course. It is your body screaming to your brain for help. A warning. The needle mutes the screaming and the warning.
    “The first shot is ridiculous,” Taylor says. “Ridiculously horrible. Excruciating.”
    But the first shot to the foot wasn’t even the remedy. The first shot was just to numb the area … in preparation for the second shot, which was worse.
    “You can’t kill the foot because then it is just a dead nub,” he says. “You’ve got to get the perfect mix [of anesthesia]. I was crying and screaming. I’m sweating just speaking about it now.”
    How’d he play?
    “I didn’t play well,” he says. “But I played better than my backup would have.”
    Wait...you're telling me star players took crazy health risks to stay on the field???

No way.

Get out of here

Honestly the NFL is in no danger of losing suits on stuff like this, it was the player's choice...they wanted to continue making millions. Just like in any other profession where people make sacrifices i.e sleep, family time, health; to keep thier position.

Concussions on the other hand, i.e. his bro in law Zach Thomas, have a beef. Because scientifical facts were ignored to reassure players that they weren't taking the kind of risks they were by playing with head issues. (even though that probably wouldn'tve changed the players minds cuz they don't want to get Wally Pipped...i.e. Alex Smith)
    Supporter of logic and organizational consistency

Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That's why this game is a game for youths. There have been some controversial studies done, that say NFL players life expectancy is longer than the general population, which certain players have refuted, because lets face it, this a multibillion dollar business, and you have to put product on the field, so I feel studies can be bought off. The average career length of a NFL player is somewhere between 4-6-9 years, depending where a player is drafted (1,2,3...), whether a player makes a team roster or whether he gets cut from the squad. In short its closer to 6.8 years. So that's the one thing about numbers and stats, which do you go with. Too bad Jason Taylor didn't win a Super Bowl, got close with the Jets.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jason Taylor is a warrior
    Thanks for the info. It is quite eye opening to see/hear what these men go through. I have only one issue. Jason Tayor is definately a tough guy, no question. But warrior...no. He's a football player. Warriors are in there own catagory (see U.S. military).
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    FIN4LIFE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daytona Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Jason Taylor is a warrior
    Great article, thanks
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Birmingham, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Wasn't there a good amount of people on here question his toughness for going on Dancing with the Stars, This article certainly proves how tough he is. Good article, incredible to hear what he went through & that was just 1 player.
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    ihaveprettyfeet

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary Alberta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yeah agreed not many people knows of this side of football.

I think fans of the game the ones who buy the tickets and merch understand this for the most part. People may not understand the CBA and stuff like non-guaranteed contracts, but just as an example RG3 he was hobbled he was limited he was wearing a massive knee brace - he sacrificed to go out there. If fans don't get that he should have stayed on the sideline and was thinking in the short term rtaher than the longterm then who can explain anything to them?

These guys get paid millions to play a game, the guys on the practice roster and the those scratching to get a spot sacrifice a lot too - we spend a lot of time pumping up the tires of the guys who are already stars. Cutler sits out a PO game and he still gets the rasperries from the media down to the couch potato who calls him soft

For me the worst part is they took JT to some dark dungeon rather than a sports med room - what's up with that? Was it JT over-ruling the team? One would think the team would like him to spare infection

Overall I think a number of fans would swap places with Jason Taylor, RG3, or even the practice squad player. Fame is a strong motivator, and money is a strong motivator -
    C. Patterson gets indefinitely suspended for "not showing up" and Buttfumble got a raise for "not showing up" - go figure how the JESTS world works?
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Seriously now

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This is a media issue. For the most part, the fans and players playing don't care. It's what these guys want to do. Everybody knows the risks now, including the players. They can quit anytime, but they won't, and they never will.

The lifestyle, the glory, the money, the women, the fame. It's all worth it to these guys. Sure, they're young and may not know better but that's the way it is. Nobody is forcing these guys to play.

Can we all agree now that football isn't good for the head? Good. Now anyone who wants to play assume the risk, if you don't want to assume the risk, don't play.
    Quote Quote