Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dan Le Batard: Jason Taylor’s pain shows NFL’s world of hurt

1. -1
    Ground and Pound

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks

Player Dan Le Batard: Jason Taylor’s pain shows NFL’s world of hurt

Moderator's Warning:
    Please only post a couple of paragraphs and the link. Please don't post the whole article. Thanks.

Wow check this out

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/1...#storylink=cpy

As America’s most popular sport encounters a liability problem … as gladiator Junior Seau kills himself with a shotgun blast to the chest and leaves his damaged brain to study … as awareness and penalties increase around an NFL commissioner confronting the oxymoronic task of making a violent game safe … and as the rules change but the culture really doesn’t … we think we know this forever-growing monster we are cheering on Sundays. But we don’t. We have no earthly idea.
    Dolphins legend Jason Taylor, for example, grew up right before our eyes, from a skinny Akron kid to a future Hall of Famer, his very public path out in front of those lights for 15 years. But take a look at what was happening in the dark. He was just a few blessed hours from having his leg amputated. He played games, plural, with a hidden and taped catheter running from his armpit to his heart. His calf was oozing blood for so many months, from September of one year to February of another, that he had to have the equivalent of a drain installed. This is a story of the private pain endured in pursuit of public glory, just one man’s broken body on a battlefield littered with thousands of them. As death and depression and dementia addle football’s mind, persuading some of the gladiators to kill themselves as a solution to end all the pain, and as the media finally shines a light on football’s concussed skull at the very iceberg-top of the problem, we begin the anatomy of Taylor’s story at the very bottom … with his feet.
    He had torn tissues in the bottom of both of them. But he wanted to play. He always wanted to play. So he went to a private room inside the football stadium.
    “Like a dungeon,” he says now. “One light bulb swaying back and forth. There was a damp, musty smell. It was like the basement in Pulp Fiction.”
    The doctors handed him a towel. For his mouth. To keep him from biting his tongue. And to muffle his screaming.
    “It is the worst ever,” he says. “By far. All the nerve endings in your feet.”
    That wasn’t the ailment. No, that was the cure. A needle has to go in that foot, and there aren’t a lot of soft, friendly places for a big needle in a foot. That foot pain is there for a reason, of course. It is your body screaming to your brain for help. A warning. The needle mutes the screaming and the warning.
    “The first shot is ridiculous,” Taylor says. “Ridiculously horrible. Excruciating.”
    But the first shot to the foot wasn’t even the remedy. The first shot was just to numb the area … in preparation for the second shot, which was worse.
    “You can’t kill the foot because then it is just a dead nub,” he says. “You’ve got to get the perfect mix [of anesthesia]. I was crying and screaming. I’m sweating just speaking about it now.”
    How’d he play?
    “I didn’t play well,” he says. “But I played better than my backup would have.”
    Last edited by Fin Fan in Cali; 01-13-2013 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Posted the whole article again
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Haines City, Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Speechless
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Ground and Pound

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jason Taylor is a warrior
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Port st. lucie
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He's one tough SOB. I knew he played with a torn MCL and I knew he had shots for his feet but damn. You never hear about the extreme measures these men go through to play a game. He is a true warrior!!!
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    if only your copy/paste was much clearer
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    did you do it from your phone?
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    RIP Gary Moore

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Temecula, Ca.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Please do not post the whole article. Only post a link and a couple of paragraphs. We could get in trouble by the Miami Herald for posting the whole article.

Thanks to Like2God for the great Avatar/Sig!

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Ground and Pound

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fin Fan in Cali View Post
    Please do not post the whole article. Only post a link and a couple of paragraphs. We could get in trouble by the Miami Herald for posting the whole article.
    Ah I see my bad then.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    The Futures of the NFL

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami,Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    wow i got chills reading this.. definitely makes you sit back and ponder the abusive beating these human beans just like you and i take on a yearly basis. I respected jason taylor prior to this article but my respect now is beyond belief.
    1. Sign Mike Wallace
    2. Resign Smith, Hartline, Starks, & Fasano.
    3. Draft CB Rd. 1
    4. Draft FS & "Seam Threat" TE Rd. 2
    5. Draft WR & DE Rd. 3
    6. Draft LB

Hater's shake my hand, but i keep that sanitizer on DECK!

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Ground and Pound

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzlingFins04 View Post
    wow i got chills reading this.. definitely makes you sit back and ponder the abusive beating these human beans just like you and i take on a yearly basis. I respected jason taylor prior to this article but my respect now is beyond belief.
    Yeah agreed not many people knows of this side of football.
    Quote Quote