Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: News and notes from Barry Jackson

1. -21
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Southbeach 2 View Post
    In all due respect, Odrick is a kid who should be able to play the snaps. Hell, MANY others are doing the same. He "may" have natural pass rush instincts but, I have yet to see them. From what I have seen, his sacks and hits are created by others or, just because he is the player there.

He has to beat the man in front of him to rush the QB, have not seen that. I am not giving up on him but, Pee Wee needs to get bigger in making some plays. Vernon, Misi, and Starks (at DT) have shown him the way.
    From the Miami Herald:

Odrick has been on the field for more than 80 percent of his teamís defensive snaps.

And his best work has been at defensive tackle, where he is usually placed in passing situations. Pro Football Focus ranks Odrick 63rd of the 64 4-3 defensive ends who have taken at least 25 percent of their teamís snaps this season, giving Odrick well-below-average marks in pass rush.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/12/2...-on-jared.html

Meanwhile, Pro Football Focus rated Odrick as a top 20 3-4 DE in 2011, with many of those snaps coming in nickel passing situations where he was basically a 4-3 DT. Sharing playing time last year he had more sacks (6) than he did this year (5).

His best destiny is inside. Not only is playing outside hurting his production inside, but he's just not very good out there.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    1/7/14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_dolfan View Post
    Wow I seriously hope you were very drunk when you wrote that
    Should I be hoping he lives longer? The man wants to ensure my team has no viable home field advantage for 25-30 years. I consider that a dire attack, as should everyone. The fact that he's 72 years old is the only silver lining in a situation without many.
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I just wish we could get a new state of the art stadium in Biscayne Bay. Sigh...not happening though.
    Quote Quote  

4. -24
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post
    Should I be hoping he lives longer? The man wants to ensure my team has no viable home field advantage for 25-30 years. I consider that a dire attack, as should everyone. The fact that he's 72 years old is the only silver lining in a situation without many.
    Wow dude, just wow.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    From the Miami Herald:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/12/2...-on-jared.html

Meanwhile, Pro Football Focus rated Odrick as a top 20 3-4 DE in 2011, with many of those snaps coming in nickel passing situations where he was basically a 4-3 DT. Sharing playing time last year he had more sacks (6) than he did this year (5).

His best destiny is inside. Not only is playing outside hurting his production inside, but he's just not very good out there.
    In the FWIW dept, Odrick played 951 snaps last year. Old Man Wake had 936, and Starks had 826. Don't see the snap count as an issue on production.

Pee WEE was #21 on PFF's 3-4 DE's in 2011. However, his grade was a negative 0.7, which made him the Dolphins third best DE. Srarks was #6 at +12.4, and Langford was #18 at +2.

I am not giving up on Odrick, as he is young and missed a year due to injury. However, his play (regardless of where) is a concern because he is not beating the man in front of him.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    imo odrick is a natural 43 dt...and the best interior pass rusher on the team...there's no doubt all those snaps in space took away from his pass rush on the inside some this year...

if starks returns and you kick odrick inside in a rota with starks and solia then a edge pass rushing force opposite wake is a big need imo...shelby is more a run defender set the edge and poa guy although i also see him as a bit undersized he can flush the qb as a pass rusher at times but he's woefully slow in space and can't close...not enough acceleration to ever provide much pass rush off the edge...

vernon has acceleration and can close and pretty fluid hips he just has at this stage no rush arsenal and no real counter when his initial rush is nullified...still vernon can disengage and get off blocks in space fairly well i'd say...i think i still see more pass rush upside there...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    The truth is out there.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    No owner in the NFL would be getting the Dolphins a new stadium right now, not after the Marlins fiasco. To buy the land and build a top notch stadium from the ground up would likely cost over a billion dollars. That's going to require major public financing and I don't see that happening.

I think that major stadium renovations that address the two biggest problems with the current facility (distance from the action, intensity of noise) is the best we can hope for, and it sounds like that's what he wants to do.

And believe me, I'd love to see the team get a new stadium more along the lines of the old Orange Bowl experience more than anyone. It's just not going to happen.

Ice up, Leodis.
    Quote Quote  

8. -28
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Starks is a great player, this is a good resign. I would like to the team to resign Matt Moore, but he will probably leave for the Jets IMHO..
    Daniel Thomas has been garbage since his arrival. Miller has already put him on the bench. It is very clear that we need another big back that plays big.

Obama was not available at the WH in December to meet the Heat? If he doesn't show at the next schedule visit of the reining NBA champs is a bigger douche bag.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by registeredguy View Post
    No owner in the NFL would be getting the Dolphins a new stadium right now, not after the Marlins fiasco. To buy the land and build a top notch stadium from the ground up would likely cost over a billion dollars. That's going to require major public financing and I don't see that happening.

I think that major stadium renovations that address the two biggest problems with the current facility (distance from the action, intensity of noise) is the best we can hope for, and it sounds like that's what he wants to do.

And believe me, I'd love to see the team get a new stadium more along the lines of the old Orange Bowl experience more than anyone. It's just not going to happen.

The only way a new billion dollar development could happen is if it includes other amenities. I have proposed an idea that Ross get development permission to fill in a section of biscayne bay between Miami and Miami Beach along 175. It could include a 75K football stadium, shopping, restaurants, parks and marina, hard court venue and a PGA gold course. It would be a world class gem. The scenic beauty is already on site. A major development that could get funding from a lot of sources to rejuvenate the team, the town and economy. Big plans require a big man to make it happen. Just a pipe dream these days.
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
Gift received at 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM from hooshoopsTannehill 17Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    imo odrick is a natural 43 dt...and the best interior pass rusher on the team...there's no doubt all those snaps in space took away from his pass rush on the inside some this year...

if starks returns and you kick odrick inside in a rota with starks and solia then a edge pass rushing force opposite wake is a big need imo...shelby is more a run defender set the edge and poa guy although i also see him as a bit undersized he can flush the qb as a pass rusher at times but he's woefully slow in space and can't close...not enough acceleration to ever provide much pass rush off the edge...

vernon has acceleration and can close and pretty fluid hips he just has at this stage no rush arsenal and no real counter when his initial rush is nullified...still vernon can disengage and get off blocks in space fairly well i'd say...i think i still see more pass rush upside there...
    What do we do without Starks, and Solia playing little more than half the time?
    Quote Quote