Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sean Smith: needs to go

1. -11
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    As much as everyone hates him, we are going to have to re-sign him. I would rather us get a corner in FA and the draft but we are too stupid to do that. Cox and Milliner would be ideal, but we need to trade down to get to Milliner, and I doubt we will spend big money on a FA corner. If we let Smith walk, we don't have any corner backs, and we won't even be in position to get Milliner in the draft either way.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well maybe you guys are right, I mean Jones has the same coaches and he had a pro bowl year in my opinion. Don't see what Smith's excuses or ranting is about if you look at it like that.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phins1020 View Post
    If we let Smith walk, we don't have any corner backs, and we won't even be in position to get Milliner in the draft either way.
    This is one of the reasons why we're stuck at 7-9, because we overpay sub-par to average players. Its why, despite our records these past couple of years, we never had a lot of cap space the following season. Now I'm not necessarily against resigning Smith, but only for 3-4 million a year. On an average to good secondary, Smith would be a #3 corner. Only on our awful secondary is Smith considered a "#2, possible #1." He doesn't make plays against the good or better QBs and teams; his INTs and dropped INTs come against the Kevin Kolbs and Mark Sanchezs of the world. Against the Lucks, the Bradys, Smith gets burned and blows coverages all the time.
    Last edited by phinfan13; 01-13-2013 at 05:57 PM.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Clearwater, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by phinfan13 View Post
    This is one of the reasons why we're stuck at 7-9, because we overpay sub-par to average players. Its why, despite our records these past couple of years, we never had a lot of cap space the following season. Now I'm not necessarily against resigning Smith, but only for 3-4 Million a year. On an average to good secondary, Smith would be a #3 corner. Only on our awful secondary is Smith considered a "#2, possible #1."
    "It's too hard to find a replacement" is and never will be a valid reason for not trying to actively improve your roster. Take on the challenge and draft better
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phinfan13 View Post
    This is one of the reasons why we're stuck at 7-9, because we overpay sub-par to average players. Its why, despite our records these past couple of years, we never had a lot of cap space the following season. Now I'm not necessarily against resigning Smith, but only for 3-4 Million a year. On an average to good secondary, Smith would be a #3 corner. Only on our awful secondary is Smith considered a "#2, possible #1."
    You're right but some on this site seems to want to pay Long, pay Smith, pay Hartline, pay Starks, pay Fasano (lol), pay everyone, you know, the same group of guys who only amount to 7 wins the past 4 years.

Hartline and Bush are the only one who should get paid, and Jones deserves an extension. Starks perhaps at the right amount of money.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by King Dingaling View Post
    When does he have an opportunity to talk trash??? He constantly gets beat and never makes plays on the ball!!! Go somewhere else and play whatever technique you want while getting burned every play!!! I'm done with him. We can draft a CB that covers way better than he can anyway. P.S. I've never seen a 6'3 220lb corner that's afraid to tackle like him.
    We can? The guy that would be in charge of doing that is the guy that drafted Vontae and Smith in the first place- what makes you think he'd do any better this time?
    Insert witty thought-provoking saying here.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'd like to see us use the money from Smiths contract and a possibly a lil more and use it on another SS CB, the one from GB. We should add Sam Shields, he has blossomed into a terrific cover corner, he plays the ball well is always in the receiver plays tight coverage, can actually catch, is from Florida, played WR at the U before bonehead realized he'd be a much better CB and special teams stud. This guy would blossom with Coyle, and maybe a few GB receivers come with him to create a major talent influx to the Dolphins.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cullenbigcstill View Post
    I'd like to see us use the money from Smiths contract and a possibly a lil more and use it on another SS CB, the one from GB. We should add Sam Shields, he has blossomed into a terrific cover corner, he plays the ball well is always in the receiver plays tight coverage, can actually catch, is from Florida, played WR at the U before bonehead realized he'd be a much better CB and special teams stud. This guy would blossom with Coyle, and maybe a few GB receivers come with him to create a major talent influx to the Dolphins.
    I completely agree, but I think he is a restricted FA, so we would probably lose a pick if we want to sign him. I am all for that, but I think we should go out and find our own guys through the draft. All my marbles are on Milliner. He looks like a really solid CB and he was well coached under Saban. You won't be getting some rookie CB who will look absolutely lost from day one, I think he has the ability to cover any receiver, hell, he covered Tyler Eifert very well in the BCS Championship. We need to trade some picks to get him though, so I don't think we will be doing that. Basically, we are stuck with Smith.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    old pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    windermere
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by islandah View Post
    We can? The guy that would be in charge of doing that is the guy that drafted Vontae and Smith in the first place- what makes you think he'd do any better this time?
    And that guy (Ireland) drafted a guy (Vontae Davis) that was consdidered the top cover CB in that draft and who was projected to be a top 15 pick on most draft sites. I recall many posters on this site speaking very highly of Sean Smith in the draft forum. The Phins drafted him where he was projected more or less. Many were very happy with those 2 picks at the time and most of us were very encouraged following their rookie seasons.
    I personally don't spend a lot of time criticizing things in hindsight. That's the easiest thing in the world to do and its a waste of time and energy.
    If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    ya'll need to get off sean smith, just cause he doesnt get a ton of ints doesnt mean he isnt an effective Good Cover CB. Its obvious coyle is not letting him be as aggressive as he would like to play and its holding smith back a bit.

I disagree, we are 7-9 because we cant put up enough points on offense due to having limited low talent in our WR core. Our defense played well enough to where this team could have went 10-6 and made the playoffs.
    Quote Quote