Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sean Smith: needs to go

1. -41
    Phin fan since 1970!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think S. Smith is worth about same as what MArshall is getting. 3 year 17M contract. If he can do better then let him test FA. Lots of good corners in this draft. Draft 2 CBs if you have to or draft one and sign a FA that will take less and play better. I think we need to draft a CB and a S in the first 5 picks.
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phinfan13 View Post
    Its not just the lack of INTs and dropped INTs that bother me per se about Smith. One has to go "inside the numbers" and look against who those dropped INTs are coming against and its not the Tom Bradys, Matt Schaubs, Joe Flaccos, and john becks of the world. Against those QBs, Smith always get burned and blows coverages.

Also, Smith isn't really a good coverage CB. Go back and look at the Luck to TY Hilton TD in our game against them. Rodney Harrison rightly called Smith's coverage on that play "garbage defense." He gave up both of the TD passes and many other key first downs in that game too.

That's why I said one of the reasons, not the only one. Our defense, and secondary in particular, are not good enough to get the job done, especially come playoff time. After all, half of our defense's INTs came against Kevin Kolb and Mark Sanchez. A telling stat.
    He had 1 bad game but apart from that 1 bad game where just about everything that could go wrong did , he has been solid and healthy. Would you rather nolan carroll as one our starting CBS? because i guarantee no top free agent CB is going to want to play in miami, we arent a contender and Ireland rep doesnt make things any easier for our free agency pickups. Combine that with our cheap owner who doesnt wana spend any money on the team, no stadium upgrades, and sean smith is your best option. Now i do agree with you on one thing, pick up a few cbs early in the draft in case things dont workout with smith but as of now you have to sign him. We already have to worry about richard marshall playing less than 4 games a season and when he does play he stinks worse than nolan carroll.
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bellingham, MA
    Thanks / No Thanks

Sean Smith: needs to go

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallFin1 View Post
    ya'll need to get off sean smith, just cause he doesnt get a ton of ints doesnt mean he isnt an effective Good Cover CB. Its obvious coyle is not letting him be as aggressive as he would like to play and its holding smith back a bit.

I disagree, we are 7-9 because we cant put up enough points on offense due to having limited low talent in our WR core. Our defense played well enough to where this team could have went 10-6 and made the playoffs.
    Agreed, lack of scoring is our biggest issue. Bitching about the defense is almost a waste of breath until we can score the league average. Give this defense 24 points a game and see how many games they lose.
    Andrew Luck VS New England

0-3 with 6 TD's and 8 picks. Not sure "Suck for Luck" helps in our division. Maybe we stop the "meaningless wins" talk.
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    FinHeaven's Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolinia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis34 View Post
    I concur. I doubt even with their rookie emerging that they let him get away though. Here is a terrific fit though. I'd be 100% down to let Smith walk and get Cox and Shields and still draft someone early. But that secondary would be automatically much improved

He's a college player. Gonna be drafted..
    He meant Keenan Lewis.

Deshaun Watson is the TRUTH!
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Strangeworld View Post
    Good thing we traded Vontae for a ham sandwich eh?

looks like Jeffy the Ball Boy bet on the wrong "horse"

laughable
    because Vontae's season was much more spectacular than Smith's right ? lol
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jlfin View Post
    And that guy (Ireland) drafted a guy (Vontae Davis) that was consdidered the top cover CB in that draft and who was projected to be a top 15 pick on most draft sites. I recall many posters on this site speaking very highly of Sean Smith in the draft forum. The Phins drafted him where he was projected more or less. Many were very happy with those 2 picks at the time and most of us were very encouraged following their rookie seasons.
    I personally don't spend a lot of time criticizing things in hindsight. That's the easiest thing in the world to do and its a waste of time and energy.
    I disagree with this completely, there are only 32 NFL GMs on the planet and they are supposed to be the best of the best at evaluating and projecting talent, they are supposed to have the best foresight, basically, they get paid millions of dollars to read the tea leaves. Mere mortals can't judge the job they do on the day of the draft, we can only judge them through hindsight.

It doesn't matter if Ireland picks the guy 100% of us want or goes completely against the grain and picks somebody we've never heard of, all that matters is he picks the right guy. The funny thing is (and by funny, I mean pathetic), if you look at all of our picks from the first 3 rounds over the past 5 drafts, the times Ireland chooses a player that a decent percentage of fans want they turn out to be some of his better picks: Tannehill, Long, Pouncey, Davis, Smith and Vernon

If you look at the players where he picks against the grain, where people go 'we took who!?' he hasn't been as good: Donald Thomas, Daniel Thomas, Pat White, Jared Odrick, John Jerry, Micheal Egnew

Like I said, go against the grain all you want, just be right. I don't have time to go back to see who all the consensus picks were but I bet that we would have a much better team if Ireland just chose all the consensus picks from the finheaven draft forum. I think we deserve better than that.
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks / No Thanks

laughable

What in the world are you talking about?

Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No teamin their right mind will sign him, since it means yet another new coach
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Belair
    Thanks / No Thanks

laughable
    Davis should have been moved to safety because he was an outstanding tackler, but i don't think he was smart enough..
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Special Teams Lunatic

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Pond, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiFinsJC View Post
    What in the world are you talking about?

Yeah, I was kinda curious about a 2nd round pick being a ham sandwich.
    "If foot fetish videos of your wife surface online, and the voice of the cameraman sounds like you, just admit that it was you ... because the alternative is that someone else was filming foot fetish videos of your wife, and I'm pretty sure that's worse." - Bill Simmons's enduring lesson to Rex Ryan.
    Quote Quote