Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Sean Smith: needs to go

1. -71
    Winning is a Habit

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphin1972 Dolphins LogoJurassic WorldCam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by NYPhin24 View Post
    I guess the standards are so low for Smith that "stopping" him is considered letting up the game winning TD to Fitz in the corner of the endzone
    That was Andre Roberts and it was the game tying TD.

- Hall of Fame Safety Rod Woodson on Dan Marino playing in today's NFL:
    "...the best quarterback I believe is Dan Marino..."
    "If he played with these rules, he'd throw for 100,000 yards."

Twitter
    - https://twitter.com/ciscoholgate

Quote Quote  

2. -72
    FinHeavean VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Toronto, On. Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sean Smith has been living off the one handed catch he made in the preseason of his rookie season. We've been waiting for THAT corner to show up ever since.

Shut up Sean and play.
    Quote Quote  

3. -73
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BAdkins159 View Post
    Amen, nothing would make more happier than to see Smith in another uniform next season. He is awful.
    Sean Smith is an elite cover corner. Poor instincts, which make him terrible in zone. But he IS an elite cover corner and would be coveted in free agency.

I think we should franchise him and give him 1 more year to earn an extension. Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Quote  

4. -74
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dcnr226 View Post
    Sean Smith is an elite cover corner. Poor instincts, which make him terrible in zone. But he IS an elite cover corner and would be coveted in free agency.

I think we should franchise him and give him 1 more year to earn an extension. Just my 2 cents.
    Elite? This regular season alone, which has been his best, and among all NFL defensive backs, Sean Smith ranks #24 in passes defensed, #62 in tackles, #90 in INTs - and these include both our Safties, Clemons and RJones... removing safeties from the stats moves him only a mediocre few spots up these lists... at least he is in the top 100... If he spent as much time practicing catching the ball or otherwise honing his craft as he did "talking a lil trash" or twittering, he could come up with some INTs. He had 2 chances to close out the Colts game against Luck and muffed them both. One would have been probably the easiest INT of his mediocre career.

He is a decent #2 CB at best IMO...
    Quote Quote  

5. -75
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Honest question that I can't figure out for the life of me. What happened to the Sean Smith that had monster games against AJ Green, Larry Fitz, Andre Johnson? Serious, what happened the rest of the season. Is it a match up thing he's just better against guys about his size and has a terrible time against smaller quicker receivers? or is it all just him being inconsistent?

Early in those games he looked and seemed to play with alot of confidence! A new man was born right before our very eyes, very much like his highlights against C.Johnson on Hard Knocks. After awhile something happened and he started reverting to his old self! Lack of confidence teemed etc
    Quote Quote  

6. -76
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ANUFan View Post
    Honest question that I can't figure out for the life of me. What happened to the Sean Smith that had monster games against AJ Green, Larry Fitz, Andre Johnson? Serious, what happened the rest of the season. Is it a match up thing he's just better against guys about his size and has a terrible time against smaller quicker receivers? or is it all just him being inconsistent?

Early in those games he looked and seemed to play with alot of confidence! A new man was born right before our very eyes, very much like his highlights against C.Johnson on Hard Knocks. After awhile something happened and he started reverting to his old self! Lack of confidence teemed etc

SSmith played well against them, yes, but but Carroll and Wilson also covered these guys when the coverage was rolled at times. Again, good at times, but far from Elite. The best thing he has going for himself is staying healthy. The guy takes a ton of snaps. He is still inconsistent though and does not make game changing - or winning, plays - even when they hit him in the hands... A decent #2 corner... much like Hartline, you can make a case to keep him or let him walk either way...
    Quote Quote  

7. -77
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NC State
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well we could let him go...except for one big problem. We have NOBODY else yet to fill the void at corner
    Quote Quote  

8. -78
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Disagree, Smith should never be a team #1 corner, but as your #2, he can be very effective. Millner is going to be a very good corner, as much as I dislike the evil HC of Alabama, his teams defenses are always good, and Saban always take personal time to make sure the secondary of his teams are up to snuff. I have no doubt Millner is talented, and was very well coached while at Alabama, but Miami should not go secondary with their 1st pick. Miami should use try to either use their #1 pick on Offense (WR or TE....yes TE, I like a certain TE from ND), or go with one of the premier pass-rushers (Way more special talent there).

I think Miami should get one of the premier receivers in FA, and should also try to get a good coverage corner in FA. If Miami can get an effective pass-rusher in the draft with one of their 1st 3 picks, the pass rush is going to automatically become much better, put the new corner on the opponent's best receiver, move Smith to the other side, and Miami pass defense will improve dramatically.

Have plenty of things to do in
    the off-season, but have to work in
    January during that pesky post-season, not
    a problem if you have the right QB.
    Quote Quote  

9. -79
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ANUFan View Post

When Richard Marshall got injured Sean Smith fell apart. The team was forced to play a lot more zone. Most of the TDs he gave up were in zone coverage. He doesn't play well in zone. He plays well in the press man to man. He even said it himself while we were in limbo last year searching for a coach. Carrol is garbage in man to man. Which is the reason the Dolphins played much more zone. I'm not trying to say hes a number 1 but hes a pretty decent number 2 corner to have on this team.
    Quote Quote