Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Ross to pay for "substantially all" of the modernization of Sun Life?

1. -131
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Melrose, MA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dlockz View Post
    Not sure how the NFL continually ducks having to do what most business's do and take care of their own buildings. Somehow one day someone got a tremendous idea that he we can make even more money if we put the burden on the taxpayers , I mean who cares if we charge 80 dollars a ticket and 25 for parking the fans and taxpayers need to ensure that we are all protected from any chance that we will ever lose any money.
    Welfare for millionaires and billionaires while we ignore key services such as teachers and police
    Just read this thread. All the team has to do is engage in emotional blackmail, play the ever-popular "if we don't get a new stadium then we'll just have to move the team" card, and voila-- welfare for billionaires who need the ego stroke provided by owning a pro sports team and yet can't open their own wallets to pay for the upkeep on their shiny toys.
    Quote Quote  

2. -132
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Just read this thread. All the team has to do is engage in emotional blackmail, play the ever-popular "if we don't get a new stadium then we'll just have to move the team" card, and voila-- welfare for billionaires who need the ego stroke provided by owning a pro sports team and yet can't open their own wallets to pay for the upkeep on their shiny toys.
    Yep. Goodell did that to Minnesota, to quote you: voila Minnesota gets a new stadium. All Goodell kept doing was saying LA is building potentially 2 new stadiums and the Vikings will move there if they didn't get a new stadium. Sad thing is Miami will most likely be competing with not only Santa Clara and Houston for Super Bowls 50 and 51 but potentially against these new proposed stadiums in LA for SBs after that. That would suck if/when Sun Life Stadium starts losing SB bids to a stadium (LA) that doesn't even have an NFL team.
    Quote Quote  

3. -133
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolph N.Fan View Post
    Yep. Goodell did that to Minnesota, to quote you: voila Minnesota gets a new stadium. All Goodell kept doing was saying LA is building potentially 2 new stadiums and the Vikings will move there if they didn't get a new stadium. Sad thing is Miami will most likely be competing with not only Santa Clara and Houston for Super Bowls 50 and 51 but potentially against these new proposed stadiums in LA for SBs after that. That would suck if/when Sun Life Stadium starts losing SB bids to a stadium (LA) that doesn't even have an NFL team.
    Can't happen new rules were passed a Superbowl has to be played in a NFL city
    The above post is not subject to penalty under the TOS I declare the Hayden Fox defense. " It is impossible for the staff to know my context therefore I cannot be penalized"

Quote Quote  

4. -134
    Rookies

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Moncton, NB
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think you're being naive if you don't think we have at least a wink-wink promise on the Superbowl L "bid" once the upgrades happen.
    Quote Quote  

5. -135
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cdz12250 View Post
    To take the Miami Dolphins by eminent domain would cost the government of Miami Gardens many times the value of its entire annual property tax revenue, and dozens of times its entire annual budget. You have to pay market value for what you take by eminent domain. As of last year, the franchise was worth 1.060 billion.
    Not to mention the fact that RIGHTFULLY SO, eminent domain only exists when there is a need to acquire property for some infrastructure reason. The Turnpike doesn't need widening to 24 lanes in each direction. When eminent domain becomes nothing more than a tool for unjustified land grabs, watch out because NO ONE will have a right of private property anymore. Want THAT to happen? I didn't think so.

When it is "your" house they are after you will feel MUCH differently about gov't power and its abuse.
    Ryan Tannehill. Ah, what a relief. Life is good.
    Quote Quote  

6. -136
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iwastherein72 View Post
    Not to mention the fact that RIGHTFULLY SO, eminent domain only exists when there is a need to acquire property for some infrastructure reason. The Turnpike doesn't need widening to 24 lanes in each direction. When eminent domain becomes nothing more than a tool for unjustified land grabs, watch out because NO ONE will have a right of private property anymore. Want THAT to happen? I didn't think so.

When it is "your" house they are after you will feel MUCH differently about gov't power and its abuse.
    It has already happened, you're too late to complain about it. In the 2005 Kelo decision the Supreme Court basically decided that states and local governments can use eminent domain to take your property under pretty much any flimsy reason that they want and can even resell that property to to a different private investor if the taking can somehow can be shoehorned into some sort of redevelopment motive. In Kelo urban houses in Connecticut were taken from their owners and the land was sold to a development company for the purpose of building a privately owned mall under the banner of redevelopment.

The law is not what the plain wording of the constitution says, it is what the decisions and precedents of the Supreme Court says it is. In the case of eminent domain, it is no longer what most Americans think it to be.
    Quote Quote  

7. -137
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flynryan15 View Post
    Can't happen new rules were passed a Superbowl has to be played in a NFL city
    You sure? I read Goodell was considering having Super Bowl L at the Rose Bowl (Which i think is a dump) before narrowing it down between Miami and Santa Clara.

Even though the Los Angeles area currently lacks an NFL franchise, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in 2009 that Super Bowl L could be held there to mark the fiftieth Super Bowl and to commemorate Super Bowl I, which was held at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum[3] If Los Angeles were to host the game, it could be held at the proposed Farmers Field in Downtown Los Angeles (L.A. Live) or at the proposed Los Angeles Stadium in City of Industry, California.[4] However, both of these two proposed new stadiums have yet to be built, and if Los Angeles was to be announced as the Super Bowl L host city by May 2013,[1] more than likely the game would have to be held in the Rose Bowl in Pasadena or the aforementioned L.A. Coliseum. The Rose Bowl, despite never having hosted an NFL team, has hosted the Super Bowl five times between 1977 and 1993. The NFL has not had a franchise in the city since the 1994 season and has not had a Super Bowl played in the metropolitan area since 1993.
    Quote Quote  

8. -138
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolph N.Fan View Post
    You sure? I read Goodell was considering having Super Bowl L at the Rose Bowl (Which i think is a dump) before narrowing it down between Miami and Santa Clara.
    I could be wrong but I thought that after the cowboys vs Bills Superbowl in the Rose Bowl a rcule was passed that only cities with NFL teams got them. Maybe it was in the old cba?
    Quote Quote  

9. -139
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djphinfan View Post
    and here is the fundamental problem on this topic, it is my opinion that because of how far our fans are from the players, they are not inclined to invest emotionally and are not engaged into the game, our sight lines and distance creates a spectator viewership, not an engaged one..if you research the buildings of Seattle and the ravens you will discover that their stands are logistically closer than all the others, and ours is exponentially farther from all the others...not a good combination, and a comp,ete disadvantage for our team and its culture, plenty of data to support the theory of the 12 th man advantage..simple common sense, simple logistics.
    Great post. The 12th man aspect is really all I care about. It's frankly hard to believe that simultaneously we have discussion about a meaner logo making us play better, while we're content to pony up at the same bland facility that has proven to be a visitor's delight for 25 years. I'm more than content to wade through all the veiled threats and fear for another 5-10 years until somebody actually gets it, perhaps Ross himself.

How inept was this design, if it required $250 million merely a few years ago and now another $400 million? From afar we'd be laughing like hell but since it's our own we scramble to justify it. On the cable channels they rant about protecting our children and grandchildren. Here's an opportunity. Build a visionary 50 year building, utilizing known variables in home field impact, along with luxury boxes and all the goodies, instead of spending half as much on troweling a soul free dump toward a life extension of 25-30 years. You're saddling the next generation with a bill that shouldn't have to be contemplated until two generations from now, with any vision. Besides, you know darn well we'll be compromising every step of the way under the current plan. Nothing will be ideal or ultra modern, but merely what fits given realities of the current structure. I said current plan at one point. Mike Dee conceded they are open to other versions. That's how rock solid confident they are in the design. Keep in mind this same brain trust had no idea the stadium was lacking at all until Roger Goodell tapped them on the shoulder a few years ago and said no more Super Bowls. Three years ago they thought Super Bowls would be rolling in every 5 years. Now they play the fear card and hint at franchise relocation without hundreds of millions in taxpayer cash.

One aspect that is being overlooked here is the preoccupation with soccer. I mentioned that in my post not long after the announcement. We can't pretend to be serious about fans as close as possible to the field if it's still wide enough to accommodate international soccer. I'm a soccer fan. But how many games are we talking about? There's no prospect of a major men's soccer league playing in a stadium of that size and it would be a joke to think about a women's league. If the patchwork extends the lifespan of the stadium another 25-30 years that means the prospect of exactly one World Cup making it to the United States within that frame. In soccer there's no chance the United States earns two bids in quick succession, the Los Angeles and Atlanta Summer Games in 1984 and 1996. There could be a women's World Cup. Maybe two, if I want to be kind. Possible Olympic soccer. Certainly you could host friendlies and World Cup qualifiers. But overall it's a spattering of games, not enough to justify the extra 8-12 feet worth of open space on each side, seating and noise that could enhance Dolphin and Canes prospects in a combined 350+ games over 25 years. I'm suspicious that Ross and Dee understand the makeup of the county commissioners they are trying to woo, and that dangling soccer means more to them along those lines than hosting the soccer matches themselves.
    Quote Quote  

10. -140
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Why not take that money and put it toward a new stadium?
    Quote Quote